+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22

Reload Thread: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

  1. #1
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon6 Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    These we plain black when I got them. They are in a custom built white box. Subs are blowing straight into the cabin sealed off from the trunk for high SPL.
    Running these on a MMATs 3500.1 3000 WRMS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!-new-dc-design.jpg   Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!-new-sub-ruff-draft.jpg  



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!




  2. #2
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by RLDriverv2 View Post
    well, its unique
    Just wanted somethin different from everybody else. Plus if they ever came up missin I could identify em a mile away. LOL



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  3. #3
    infinitefoamies's Avatar
    infinitefoamies is offline Junior Member



    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    northport, ny
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    what type of paint did you use? how does it hold up over time?




  4. #4
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Acrylic paint from hobby lobby. And it holds up just fine, I did this back in June of 2011 and they still look great. I used sponge brushes to to apply it. To do the letters I had to cut the tip of one of the sponge brushes for better accuracy.



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  5. #5
    Jes 42's Avatar
    Jes 42 is online now karma!



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ohio/Ind
    Posts
    2,023
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Stare at em while you're boomin and they'll hypnotize ya.lol



    Kenwood x996
    Punch 501x
    4 Prv 6.5's-Bazooka Euphonic tweets
    18'' T3 TSNS
    MA Audio HK4000D
    300 amp Ohio Gen alt
    2 CS9000 batts

  6. Likes jkok7 liked this post
  7. #6
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    LOL. It looks pretty cool. I got some videos on my old phone, but it's pretty jacked. I'll see if I can get them off of it and upload em. I might have one on my current phone. Let me see...



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  8. #7
    phemps's Avatar
    phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by jkok7 View Post
    These we plain black when I got them. They are in a custom built white box. Subs are blowing straight into the cabin sealed off from the trunk for high SPL.
    Running these on a MMATs 3500.1 3000 WRMS.
    You need to give them bad boys more power





    Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453


    Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

  9. #8
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    You need to give them bad boys more power
    You think so? What would you recommend wattage wise? I had to recone em about 2 years ago because the lead tensil snapped. I thought 3K was just right for em. You have any experience running them with higher power handling?



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  10. #9
    phemps's Avatar
    phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by jkok7 View Post
    You think so? What would you recommend wattage wise? I had to recone em about 2 years ago because the lead tensil snapped. I thought 3K was just right for em. You have any experience running them with higher power handling?
    Arent they the xls?





    Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453


    Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

  11. #10
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    Arent they the xls?
    yeah



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  12. #11
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    Arent they the xls?
    XL handles 2200 Peak 4400. Maybe I had my box tuned too low or somethin?



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  13. #12
    phemps's Avatar
    phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    As far as the lead snapping.. how big was your box? you may have gone too big and the subs were unloading, or your subsonic filter was not set properly for your tuning. Your only giving them 1500 a piece though, and that's before impedance rise and voltage drop. And DCs shit is underrated they can take more than rated for sure if your not sending them a dirty clipped signal. Ive setup a regular level 4 in someones car on 2k. Give those things some juice mang. as long as you have the electrical to back it up though.. Also if you add power youll want the box to be slightly smaller





    Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453


    Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

  14. #13
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by phemps View Post
    As far as the lead snapping.. how big was your box? you may have gone too big and the subs were unloading, or your subsonic filter was not set properly for your tuning. Your only giving them 1500 a piece though, and that's before impedance rise and voltage drop. And DCs shit is underrated they can take more than rated for sure if your not sending them a dirty clipped signal. Ive setup a regular level 4 in someones car on 2k. Give those things some juice mang. as long as you have the electrical to back it up though.. Also if you add power youll want the box to be slightly smaller
    Yeah you're dead on mane! I think my box was too big. DC suggests that each of my drivers require 3.5 cubed ft. So I built a box that was 8.00 cubed, subtracted the sub displacement and bracing and ended up around 7.09 in my estimation.

    Now here's the thing. I didn't use a divider. Do you suggest using one? Also, My subs' displacement is .23. Now I know that I need to subtract that from the enclosure volume, however does the displacement change when you're using a double panel face? (Using 3/4 MDF)
    That may be a problem as well. Even though displacement is .23, when using a double panel that number might be less. Therefore less should've been subtracted off the box volume when factoring in displacement.



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  15. #14
    phemps's Avatar
    phemps is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    1,978
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Quote Originally Posted by jkok7 View Post
    Yeah you're dead on mane! I think my box was too big. DC suggests that each of my drivers require 3.5 cubed ft. So I built a box that was 8.00 cubed, subtracted the sub displacement and bracing and ended up around 7.09 in my estimation.

    Now here's the thing. I didn't use a divider. Do you suggest using one? Also, My subs' displacement is .23. Now I know that I need to subtract that from the enclosure volume, however does the displacement change when you're using a double panel face? (Using 3/4 MDF)
    That may be a problem as well. Even though displacement is .23, when using a double panel that number might be less. Therefore less should've been subtracted off the box volume when factoring in displacement.
    A little over 7 shouldnt have caused your subs to lose cone control. A divider is not neccesary in your situation unless youwere to say run an amp on each sub and gain match instead of strapping them. When your factoring in displacements, everything thats within your box is subtracted from your gross volume. What kind of port did you have going on? Its still not explained as to why you brokea lead, although maybe it was just faulty. Subsonic filterwas set at?





    Refs: Rio, DbzArson, goodstuff, Worstenemy453


    Quote Originally Posted by Altec View Post
    Then obviously I am asking the wrong person, because you don't know how to hook up subs if they sounded like "****". Maybe learn your ohms and your diagrams before you call something ****. Learn to make boxes to specs and use the right wires and its called dynomat. Then maybe your car wouldn't of sounded like ****, yeah?

  16. #15
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Custom Painted DC Audio 15s!

    Slot port tuned to 32 htz. I think subsonic was at 30htz. Maybe I thought my box volume was at 7.00, but based on the displacement of my double panel etc it might have been alot bigger.

    I think I just figured out the issue. Width 36 X Height 18 X Depth 29 = 9.05 Even with displacement that's still wayyyy oversized.
    I don't know if was the anticipation of my first child (2 years ago), inexperience or both, but I was way off!



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. The Arrival of Two DC Audio 15" Level 4XL *PICS* RED
    By Toxic Tuan in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-16-2010, 08:45 PM
  2. Wtb Dc Audio 15
    By Bang This Beat in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-26-2009, 07:12 PM
  3. DC AUDIO 15" ...voice coil OK????
    By SEBASTO in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-23-2009, 05:01 PM
  4. Custom Painted DC Audio LV315's
    By Rusty...WCA in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-31-2008, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum