View Poll Results: Would you try this technique?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    3 25.00%
  • No

    1 8.33%
  • I've done this

    4 33.33%
  • I'll try it

    1 8.33%
  • I haven't tried this

    1 8.33%
  • I won't try this

    3 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 41

Reload Thread: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

  1. #1
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Icon6 How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Cool video on how I made my component speakers sound amazing!

    Dude, Make My Speakers LOUDER!



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!




  2. #2
    RoYALbLUE08's Avatar
    RoYALbLUE08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    does that foam really make a difference. interesting



    Front stage- HAT Imagine i61-2 for midrange and Rainbow Cal 25 Silk Tweeters for highs
    Rear Stage- Factory Premium Speakers
    HU- Pioneer AVH-x8500
    Sub stage- 12" SSA XCON D2
    Sub amp- Crescendo BC2000
    Mid/High amp- Crescendo Concerto C1100.4
    Electrical- big 3, Optima Yellowtop
    NVX Sound deadener and Sealed doors
    Acoustic Sound Foam behind Front Mids

  3. #3
    thehardknoxlife's Avatar
    thehardknoxlife is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RoYALbLUE08 View Post
    does that foam really make a difference. interesting
    No.

    This has no benefit whatsoever. Seriously, what's beneficial from putting rubber foam on the outside edge of the speaker and putting duct tape on the screw holes? Rubber foam doesn't seal air flow, and the screw when inserted properly will seal the holes themselves. Besides that, last time I checked, speakers mount on the backside edge, not the outside edge. There are much better ways to isolate the front from the back that are cheap.




  4. Dislikes gckless disliked this post
  5. #4
    tat2bass's Avatar
    tat2bass is online now CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Cali
    Posts
    1,606
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by thehardknoxlife View Post
    No.

    This has no benefit whatsoever. Seriously, what's beneficial from putting rubber foam on the outside edge of the speaker and putting duct tape on the screw holes? Rubber foam doesn't seal air flow, and the screw when inserted properly will seal the holes themselves. Besides that, last time I checked, speakers mount on the backside edge, not the outside edge. There are much better ways to isolate the front from the back that are cheap.
    It does have a benefit. As @ keep_hope_alive ; has done in another thread, sealing the front side of the speaker to the door card is just as important as sealing the back side of the door and speaker. It is also almost always overlooked. Doing something close to the video above will essentially funnel the sound out so that it doesn't disperse in between the door card and the door itself. That creates all kind of phasing and interference issues and reduces over all volume




  6. Thanks jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes jkok7, jeffdachef liked this post
  7. #5
    jeffdachef's Avatar
    jeffdachef is online now I Bass Boost Rock/Metal!!



    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    2,644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    I've seen people do this but they did something even crazier, they used deadener to create a small round enclosure inside their doors and used weatherstripping to brace it, they got decent midbass thump even with cheapo speakers where people reviewed had horrible/nonexisting bass.



    Clip city b1tch, clip clip city b1tch. 10's, 12's, 15's, goin up in flames b1tch.
    2009 Sienna 3.5L Subs : C2 threatcon 15s. Sub amp: hifonics brx 2400.1D x 2
    Headunit: Pioneer 80PRS bought used from vertex audio Mids/Highs amp: PPI Phantom 900.4 - bought from dragnix
    Front stage: 3 way active front stage with Massive Audio CKX 6x9 component. ckx 6x9 midbass in doors + DB drive pro audio 6.5 in the kick. Rear stage: Jbl ms62C(Its a van I need rear fill). Still NOT ENOUGH! SEND HELP!! 4 Pro Audio 10s in the future
    320 amp Singer alt almost installed. Just a group 31 deka in the back atm with big 3 finished.

  8. Thanks michaellane, jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes michaellane, jkok7 liked this post
  9. #6
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by tat2bass View Post
    It does have a benefit. As @ keep_hope_alive ; has done in another thread, sealing the front side of the speaker to the door card is just as important as sealing the back side of the door and speaker. It is also almost always overlooked. Doing something close to the video above will essentially funnel the sound out so that it doesn't disperse in between the door card and the door itself. That creates all kind of phasing and interference issues and reduces over all volume
    Thanks man, it really does make a difference. Tat2bass you really know your stuff.


    Thehardknoxlife, I understand that the screws will seal the holes, but if you don't want to use all the holes because it's not necessary then that's why you tape it. The holes you do use, just puncture the tape. It won't hurt anything. Have you even tried this? I'm tellin you it makes a difference.
    Watch at the beginning as I point out how the factory speakers have the foam to compensate. Or you can just read the blog post right under the video.
    Don't knock it til you try it. I'm just trying to share what I've learned over the years, that's all. God Bless



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  10. #7
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    yes, the approach is valid. using closed cell foams, the seals are air-tight.

    seals are vital for any speaker installation and two are required:
    1. seal speaker to metal mounting hole
    2. seal speaker to plastic factory door panel

    note that in a car door, the door panel is the front of the speaker enclosure. that seal is vital for good speaker performance, at any price, and i consider that seal a requirement for every installation - no exceptions.

    always seal the speaker to the front of the baffle (which in vehicles, the baffle is the door panel.)

    even if you deaden and fully seal you door, you want that seal to the grill opening. without it sound gets behind the panel and causes buzzes and phase interference.

    now, his approach isn't necessarily what you have to do, you don't need duct tape. weatherstripping foam is adhesive on one side so you can just stick it the basket or mounting baffle edge and build it up until you replicate the factory seal. use the factory speaker as your guide. you know you get a good seal when you take the door panel back off and see a continuous indentation in the foam.

    always use closed cell foam rubber as it is firm and air-tight.

    weatherstripping foam costs $3 for a roll that will do both speakers.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  11. Thanks jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes jkok7 liked this post
  12. #8
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    yes, the approach is valid. using closed cell foams, the seals are air-tight.

    seals are vital for any speaker installation and two are required:
    1. seal speaker to metal mounting hole
    2. seal speaker to plastic factory door panel

    note that in a car door, the door panel is the front of the speaker enclosure. that seal is vital for good speaker performance, at any price, and i consider that seal a requirement for every installation - no exceptions.

    always seal the speaker to the front of the baffle (which in vehicles, the baffle is the door panel.)

    even if you deaden and fully seal you door, you want that seal to the grill opening. without it sound gets behind the panel and causes buzzes and phase interference.

    now, his approach isn't necessarily what you have to do, you don't need duct tape. weatherstripping foam is adhesive on one side so you can just stick it the basket or mounting baffle edge and build it up until you replicate the factory seal. use the factory speaker as your guide. you know you get a good seal when you take the door panel back off and see a continuous indentation in the foam.

    always use closed cell foam rubber as it is firm and air-tight.

    weatherstripping foam costs $3 for a roll that will do both speakers.

    Yeah, I used the duct tape just to be safe. It cant hurt, but the liquid nails is vital IMO. The adhesive on the foam I used was decent, but I feared under high temperatures it might give. Thanks for the dialog.



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  13. #9
    Jes 42's Avatar
    Jes 42 is offline karma!



    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Ohio/Ind
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Good vid.



    Kenwood x996
    Kicker KX850.4
    4 Prv 6.5's-Bazooka Euphonic tweets
    18'' T3 TSNS
    Crunch GP3000D
    4 Runs of 1/0 welding wire..NRG Custom terminals
    300 amp Ohio Gen alt
    2 CS9000 batts

  14. Thanks jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes jkok7 liked this post
  15. #10
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,977
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    i've been using the weatherstripping foam for at least a decade and never had an issue with heat (we hit 105 deg F here every year) since the foam is under compression - the adhesive just holds it in place until installed. cold is also a concern for adhesives as (it gets -15 deg F here also). i don't put liquid nails on speakers and i avoid putting permanent adhesives on speakers also.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

  16. Thanks jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes jkok7 liked this post
  17. #11
    RoYALbLUE08's Avatar
    RoYALbLUE08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    NYC
    Age
    24
    Posts
    644
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    thanks for the information



    Front stage- HAT Imagine i61-2 for midrange and Rainbow Cal 25 Silk Tweeters for highs
    Rear Stage- Factory Premium Speakers
    HU- Pioneer AVH-x8500
    Sub stage- 12" SSA XCON D2
    Sub amp- Crescendo BC2000
    Mid/High amp- Crescendo Concerto C1100.4
    Electrical- big 3, Optima Yellowtop
    NVX Sound deadener and Sealed doors
    Acoustic Sound Foam behind Front Mids

  18. Thanks jkok7 thanked for this post
    Likes jkok7 liked this post
  19. #12
    Trey803's Avatar
    Trey803 is offline GAMECOCKS



    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    SC
    Posts
    5,637
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    I am going to do this,

    never even considered sealing the front side of the baffle to the door panel. I've done everything else minus pods but I am curious to hear the results from this mod.



    HU: DEH-80PRS
    Doors Deadened
    Front Stage: Rainbow SLC 265
    Front Stage Amp: Image Dynamics i2600
    Sub: Dayton RSS210HF-4 8"
    Sub Amp: Image Dynamics i2300
    Wire: Knu

  20. Likes jkok7 liked this post
  21. #13
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Trey803 View Post
    I am going to do this,

    never even considered sealing the front side of the baffle to the door panel. I've done everything else minus pods but I am curious to hear the results from this mod.
    Yeah, the roll I used was 3/4 inch thick, so it will stick out far enough to provide a good seal. You may want to consider adding some adhesive to the lips of the roll so that when it makes contact with your door panel it will stick is air tight. The only drawback is when you remove your door panel for any reason at all, there goes your insulation with it.
    Try it and let me know how it turns out for you mane.



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  22. #14
    jkok7's Avatar
    jkok7 is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Currently in Columbus, OH, but from the Avatar
    Posts
    201
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RLDriverv2 View Post
    but, the problem with using kha's install for reference is its actually a half ***, ****** install.
    Oklahoma love!



    Down hur we say Grace & Ma'am. If you don't like that, you aint worth a Damm!

  23. #15
    winkychevelle's Avatar
    winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Ponchatoula, La
    Age
    23
    Posts
    3,330
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

    Re: How I made my speakers louder, FOR CHEAP!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by RLDriverv2 View Post
    but, the problem with using kha's install for reference is its actually a half ***, ****** install.
    Think of it as more of a trial and error install. He tries several things to make his speakers sound fantastic and most of what he post is very useful ive employed many of his techniques in my personal vehicles the only down side is cost of deadener and other materials



    2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. What Ohms do i need to set my speakers up for
    By pappasmurf1979 in forum Wiring, Electrical and Installation Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-03-2013, 06:00 PM
  2. WTT: My Speaker amps for your Car Audio Stuff
    By Suicide Bobb in forum Wanting to Buy (WTB) - Car Audio
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 09-11-2010, 01:03 PM
  3. How I solved my voltage drops for $91.97
    By WOT in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 77
    Last Post: 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM
  4. How much would my W7 go for?
    By XaznKewLguyX in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 03-16-2006, 09:11 PM
  5. Finally made my box design for my 2 12" ED KS
    By SoundsUnlimited in forum Subwoofers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-13-2003, 04:28 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum