Reload Thread: 01 Explorer Tiny DD setup to (2) 18 AT Stratos in a 4th

4bannger is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: 01 Explorer Tiny DD setup to (2) 18 AT Stratos in a 4th

Quote Originally Posted by slammedincouch View Post
    Thanks man- i don't think I'll ever be finished with it haha

@Buck is definitely the best person to ask, but from what I recall, they have a little efficiency over 4ths, but you also have a larger phase shift with 6th orders and sacrifice some of the transient response on the lower frequencies...

Main reason I went with a 6th over a 4th really just had to do with the driver. I wanted to test out another 4th, but when I looked at the t/s for the 9012, it was 100% suited for a 6th. Might go back to a 4th with the m3 8s once I get them reconed to d4s
    That's was helpful. I guess I'll stay away from 6th orders for now. I really like the lows. It's one thing I think my 4th order is lacking. I have it tuned to 40 hz and it's a 1:1 with 8cuft sealed and 8 cuft ported. You think I would be better off spl wise to go with a nice ported box with good port area and tuned around 34 hz? I like the lows but don't wanna loose the higher end bass.

Also. How much port area per cuft would be good for 2 type r 15's

slammedincouch is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 4bannger View Post
    That's was helpful. I guess I'll stay away from 6th orders for now. I really like the lows. It's one thing I think my 4th order is lacking. I have it tuned to 40 hz and it's a 1:1 with 8cuft sealed and 8 cuft ported. You think I would be better off spl wise to go with a nice ported box with good port area and tuned around 34 hz? I like the lows but don't wanna loose the higher end bass.

Also. How much port area per cuft would be good for 2 type r 15's

Rule of thumb is usually 14-16 inches per cube and that box sounds like it takes up a ton of room haha. What vehicle do you have? My person opinion about enclsoures when you're running multiple drivers still pushes more towards a nice slot ported enclosure (my go to tuning is almost always 32 or 33) vs 4th and 6th orders just because of weight and space.

Kind of a super biased opinion though because I've always done slot ports and just recently started using 4th orders and this is my first 6th. My biggest peeve is the fact that you need to make a window cut out/removable pieces to the enclosure you can have access to the driver if you need to or if something goes horribly wrong (nearly impossible with this one because of the warped pieces, so if someone decides they want this dd woofer and not the box, I'm going to probably have to scrap the box to get to it).

It is funny to watch someone's reaction when they see this box though. I just sold an old 2ft^3 enclosure to this guy and he was like what do you have in there? Where the hell is the sub?

Massive RK6's Front Stage (One set per door) > 07zx650.4
    Hertz HSK 165s in the trunk > Alpine 3542
    (6) 10" Sundown SA-10s > Kicker Warhorse
    Knu Krystal RCAs > lot's o' 0 gauge + Batts > Mechman 270a Alt

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Just a real quick update today:

Finally have a buyer for some of my equipment (DD sub is on ebay with bidders, Kicker Eq has bidders, back up camera has bidders, etc.) and also traded my M1c for a new toy that should be here on Tuesday (as long as the fedex truck doesn't crash and burn). Getting pumped.

So anyways, whenever I sell something, I always like to have a good 30-40 minute video of it working and getting packaged up before I send it out. With the M1c out in Cali now, I had to toss the 2500 I traded the lvl5 for. Don't really have the time to build a new amp rack or any beauty panels atm for the amp, sooo I tossed this together in 7 minutes today with some spare wood I had laying around:

It isn't pretty, but I just want a working video of the DD playing in case I have a buyer who clips the crap out of it or wires things up wrong (after selling the AT Stratos to that kid who had no idea how to wire from a .5 to 2 ohm load, I don't trust any mfer who I'm selling equipment to).

It's one tight ass fit in the back right now. Good thing I only need to have it like this for a day, because I could see that amp getting very warm on a hot day with little to no ventilation...

will more than likely either move the amp over to the driver's side along the cargo area, or build a false floor for it to chill under the amp. Haven't really made a final decision on what route to go with it yet, but the false floor would be a lot cleaner.

Oh and I also picked up my main bitch from storage on Thursday.

Unsure how I feel about the system in her right now. Trying to decide if I want to sell off the 10s/possibly the horse and bring her back to a trunk car, save the horse and sell the 10s and do a new wall, or swap the horse to the explorer, save the 10s and do a new setup in there. Too many options for me to consider.

Someone give me some feedback on what I should do next in each vehicle. I've got (6) 10s, (4) 8s and (1) 12 to choose from. What should go where? Warhorse in the explorer, 2500 in the boom?

Updates to follow on Tuesday.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Feels like forever and a day since I last updated my build logs. Not that I haven't wanted to, but I hit a rather large bump in the road with things...

So traded the m1C for a new toy. Toy got here:

Super pumped for about 10-15 mins after getting her out of the package until...

So that ******. Guy I traded with said he tested and read coils before he sent it out, but I never received pics of the readings, so dumb move on my part. Got too excited too fast and I paid for it. Luckily we worked out a deal to cover half the cost of the recone (basically what it would cost to send the sub all the way back to him for my amp). So sent it off to someone local to get repaired.

Well it got there, he pulled the cone, former and spiders (coil was blown and the leads burnt as well) out to find out the basket was cracked...awesome. Welp no use crying over spilled milk. Unsure when that happened, but was told the likely cause was from the woofer being shipped with the weight pulling down on the motor or whatever. Already left feedback by this point, so another lesson learned the hard way.

As a result of this, I will absolutely positively never ever trade with someone over the forums again (unless in person). I can't tell whether or not people are genuine and make mistakes (I know it happens), but I have a more than I wanted to spend into this sub now. Whole point of the trade was to have something in working condition with a few scuffs in the surround that i could have used. Could have traded for 2 15" hdd motors and basket assemblies instead.

That being said/ranted about, at least with all the bad news comes some good news! Had to wait for Corey to get the specific parts I need in, but the sub is almost finished. I'm sure a few of you have seen some pictures of it, but I'll post the final pics once I have it back (either this week or next week). All I'm going to say is that it is an absolute BEAST of a woofer now.

Also have a pair of the m3 8s with corey that are getting reconed as well. Might have a quick mini build log with them in the future if I have the free time and motivation, but I'm mainly looking to just get them back and sell them as they get fixed. Gotta get rid of what I don't need.

Only other thing I need are some sensa track load adjusting springs for the explorer to get her sitting pretty again. Will update with pics once I have the sub back in my hands!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Oh.My.God. She's here. And she is absolutely beautiful.

Pretty much I've been up since 9am waiting for this moment. UPS said they'd be here between 915 and 115 to deliver the package, but it didn't get here till ~20 minutes ago. With the exception of going to pick up watch dogs and grabbing some coffee, I've been sitting at the door pretty much all day. SO WORTH IT.

Anywho onto the pictures.

Specs on this bish:

18" TI basket
    HDD motor
    3" 8 layer coil
    Nightshade v3 spider pack (DEM TRIPLE LEADS)
    Beefy as fuh sundown surround/cone assembly
    CF cap (color per choice of SPLaudio- told him to surprise me with the color- matches the colorway of a Monster, which this thing definitely is)

So0o0o I'm just going to probably go stare at this thing for the rest of the night and smile while playing Watch Dogs. Need to get a box design going for her next. Kind of bummed still that Buck is out of the design business until further notice still, but it'll give me a chance to check out some other designer's work.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Couple small updates. Haven't really had a lot of time to update my build- lots of crazy things going on right now. Larger ones to come over the weekend. Beautiful forecast scheduled for it too.

Got my box design- no pics on hand of it, but it'll be built between today and saturday. Standard 6 cubes, slot port tuned to 32hz.

Corey aka SPLaudio hooked me up with some more recones for some blown subs I have laying around- yes I FINALLY decided to get a pair of these done up. Still have 2 more chilling downstairs. Think it's been like 8 months that I've had them haha. Love them to death and don't think I can part with them, so more than likely I'll have a quick build log with them in here. Anyways...

Chillin with the monster

Have plans for some awesome dustcap decals on these, so I'll throw an update once they're made

More pics to follow today depending on when my new saw blade gets here (old one is super dulled out and I'm in desperate need of a new one before I go further) and I pick up some more wood. Getting friggin PUMPED because it's been a minute since I've even driven the explorer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol you have a variety pack build log. It's definitely interesting though. I'd like to see some vids.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5