Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1693 Post(s)

Re: Silverado custom doors

Quote Originally Posted by bubbagumper6 View Post
    If you're charging someone for work, that's not a hobby it's a job. Furthermore if I pay someone for an install, I would expect professional level work, if I wanted hobbyist level work I'd do it myself.
    I don't disagree, but caveat emptor man. That would be a big red flag in my book. I know glass work from a shop isn't cheap, but those liabilities are exactly why it costs so much to buy a ticket to the dance. If my quote from a non-pro was $500, I'd politely decline and look elsewhere. Especially when there's no means to fit test from a guy who rolls with a Tahoe club.

Deck: JVC KD-A95BT
    Speakers: PHD FB mid, JBL MS tweets
    Amps: Boston Acoustics GT-2125, Zed Minotaur III (x2)
    Sub: 10" SSA ICON, IA Death Penalty 18" (coming soon)
    Starr Mountain Sound Nuthugger #2 (I'm a #2 lol)
    dcarcustoms Nuthugger #1
    Spotify: http://open.spotify.com/user/neo_styles/playlist/6t9ru42j0wbEsuo4bXqXD8
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM VERTEX

04murdalanche is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1308 Post(s)

The layout and mounting may be good but the finished product looks awful with that bedliner, IMO. Paint or even just some carpet would have looked much better and more professional...

Also WTF is up with this? Attention to detail is severely lacking here as the cutout for this thing is nowhere near square, or even symmetrical for that matter...

As it's been said multiple times now, wasn't my choice to bedliner them, customer got what he wanted and was very satisfied. Still texts me saying people complement them all the time at shows. And again, as I've said multiple times, I know suede, carpet, other things look better, I totally agree with you. But that's not what he wanted, he's got bedliner on his beauty panel for the blowthrough and in the box so it matched. If you don't like it, you don't have to comment. Simple as that

And AGAIN, for the unteenth time. I didn't wrap the dash dude some Mexican at a shop did it. Call his ass up and talk to him about it. I could personally give a shit what it looks like. Not my truck....

Quote Originally Posted by neo_styles View Post
    Seems like the forum boner has shifted from talking about car audio to picking apart everyone's installs. Anyone up for having those who criticize post up their own work for comparison?

I mean, shit, we're talking about a hobbyist for Christ's sake, not a professional (and he doesn't make any claims that he is). For those who've done business with him and been dissatisfied with the outcome, that's for you and him to deal with on your own time. You act like a flame war is going to stop him from pursuing this hobby. Or maybe it's because you feel like your opinion is the only one that should be heard, whether it's right or wrong.

Now, can everyone put their e-cocks back in their pants and support this hobby? Telling him they look like shit isn't going to make him improve. How about some suggestions of what he could do better? I know the age range on this forum varies from 13 to freakin' 60, but a little maturity would be greatly appreciated.

There was a ban thread yesterday on MAF where someone was a little less than pleasant to deal with in terms of forum etiquette and the same action was recommended each time: use the ignore feature if you can't just overlook his posts. Seriously, people. One exists here, too. Enough with this trying to prove something pissing match.
    No one will ever stop me from doing this ish. I love it.. Best hobby ever and I've met a lot of good friends doing it.

And yep. Block me. Save us both the time of listening to the bitching

CandeShop is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    As it's been said multiple times now, wasn't my choice to bedliner them, customer got what he wanted and was very satisfied. Still texts me saying people complement them all the time at shows. And again, as I've said multiple times, I know suede, carpet, other things look better, I totally agree with you. But that's not what he wanted, he's got bedliner on his beauty panel for the blowthrough and in the box so it matched. If you don't like it, you don't have to comment. Simple as that

And AGAIN, for the unteenth time. I didn't wrap the dash dude some Mexican at a shop did it. Call his ass up and talk to him about it. I could personally give a shit what it looks like. Not my truck....

There's a few problems here.

#1 you don't care because it's not your truck, you should care if you're going to show off the work you do.
    #2 it's easy to make those switch/bass knob cut outs a perfect circle. Get the right tools!
    #3 if you're going to charge to make a profit (higher than materials + $10 an hour at most) atleast make your work look professional.
    #4 if you're going to show off some panels atleast make sure you actually like the product you produced. I know out of my shop I don't allow any unfinished work to leave. WHY? Because the finished work is just as much of a reflection of your work as the unfinished product is. People only see the finished product in the end and when someone asks the customer who did it, they'll say you did. Nothing about that they got it unfinished and had someone else do the shotty work.

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1226 Post(s)

No one will ever stop me from doing this ish. I love it.. Best hobby ever and I've met a lot of good friends doing it.

And yep. Block me. Save us both the time of listening to the bitching
    Or you could just do the right thing and avoid all this bs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1308 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CandeShop View Post
    There's a few problems here.

#1 you don't care because it's not your truck, you should care if you're going to show off the work you do.
    #2 it's easy to make those switch/bass knob cut outs a perfect circle. Get the right tools!
    #3 if you're going to charge to make a profit (higher than materials + $10 an hour at most) atleast make your work look professional.
    #4 if you're going to show off some panels atleast make sure you actually like the product you produced. I know out of my shop I don't allow any unfinished work to leave. WHY? Because the finished work is just as much of a reflection of your work as the unfinished product is. People only see the finished product in the end and when someone asks the customer who did it, they'll say you did. Nothing about that they got it unfinished and had someone else do the shotty work.
    1) I didn't do the dash, therefore it's not my work. Therefore I don't care how it looks considering it's NOT MY WORK.

2) there were two bass knobs there previously that a shop put in for him. They drilled those holes, when he brought me the truck they were already like that, again.. NOT MY WORK. Thanks for asking, though.

3) I did the dash piece for free.. And he was happy with how it turned out

4) these panels aren't unfinished, clearly they've been finished with something. Whether you think n they need carpet or whatever, go build you some then man. These aren't your doors and this isn't your truck. Cameron loves it, and so do a lot of people at shows. I've gotten calls and texts from people he have my number too considering getting work done. And that's all I have to say

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

1) I didn't do the dash, therefore it's not my work. Therefore I don't care how it looks considering it's NOT MY WORK.
    So you weren't the one who fabricated the dash piece to house the volt meter? Either the dash was wrapped before you got your hands on it (which I could see possible as the ac controls have a trim piece around them and this piece doesn't) or he got shafted (or underpaid) at the shop he went to. It's the details that'll help you keep people coming to you. Cleaning up someone else's screw ups is one of those things. A simple step bit in a drill would've cleaned it up and would've shown that you care about how your installs look like, since you got the piece and fabricated it (and plastidipped it) for the guy.

3) I did the dash piece for free.. And he was happy with how it turned out
    That's great you did it for free. Customer being happy isn't always what you're looking for especially if you want return work. I've turned down many of people because they want a piece of mdf wrapped in vinyl and attached to their doors so that they may mount extra mids. Someone will do it for them yes, but comparing that to something custom that's left my shop (for only $300 more) everyone is going to go towards the car that looks better.

4) these panels aren't unfinished, clearly they've been finished with something. Whether you think n they need carpet or whatever, go build you some then man. These aren't your doors and this isn't your truck. Cameron loves it, and so do a lot of people at shows. I've gotten calls and texts from people he have my number too considering getting work done. And that's all I have to say

You're right. They have a finish on them, but for you to say they came out great or even average is absurd. You may not need to smooth out all the pinholes, but you do need to make sure the door doesn't have huge lumps in it (that could've been solved when stretching your fabric before applying resin). There are huge lumps and divots that did need body filler/sandpaper attention.

And did you say build something for myself? I've not gotten the chance as I've had many out of state customers (and many in town) lining up for doors to be done. Especially after these left my shop.

7. Likes brandonkain82 liked this post
    Staynlean is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    120 Post(s)

So much drama itt now

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1308 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by CandeShop View Post
    So you weren't the one who fabricated the dash piece to house the volt meter? Either the dash was wrapped before you got your hands on it (which I could see possible as the ac controls have a trim piece around them and this piece doesn't) or he got shafted (or underpaid) at the shop he went to. It's the details that'll help you keep people coming to you. Cleaning up someone else's screw ups is one of those things. A simple step bit in a drill would've cleaned it up and would've shown that you care about how your installs look like, since you got the piece and fabricated it (and plastidipped it) for the guy.

well next time he come by ill fix it and post it up.

That's great you did it for free. Customer being happy isn't always what you're looking for especially if you want return work. I've turned down many of people because they want a piece of mdf wrapped in vinyl and attached to their doors so that they may mount extra mids. Someone will do it for them yes, but comparing that to something custom that's left my shop (for only $300 more) everyone is going to go towards the car that looks better.

that's cool that you have a shop. Which means you do this for a living. I don't. It's a hobby. Something that's fun for me. I'm not perfect at this but I will be over time.

You're right. They have a finish on them, but for you to say they came out great or even average is absurd. You may not need to smooth out all the pinholes, but you do need to make sure the door doesn't have huge lumps in it (that could've been solved when stretching your fabric before applying resin). There are huge lumps and divots that did need body filler/sandpaper attention.

meh, again that's just your opinion and the fabric was pulled tight

And did you say build something for myself? I've not gotten the chance as I've had many out of state customers (and many in town) lining up for doors to be done. Especially after these left my shop.

And your better than me, much better. I'm not afraid to say it. Those look great, I've seen what you charge though and not everyone wants to pay that much.. Not that it's not worth it, but some people's pockets just aren't that deep. You know?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Not that deep? You've seen what I charge? Pretty sure that Timmy's panels would've been done for $500 total plus the shipping back to him and would've looked just as any other product that's left my shop. My prices start out at $350 for a pair of doors with shipping handled by FedEx via my business account. It started as a hobby for myself then once people were seeing what I was capable of (beating many shops in the area with both craftsmanship and quality) I was able to generate a business as it's something I love doing and I'm good at it. Hobby or professional if you're going to charge someone you should give them a product that you're proud to put your name on. Also if you're doing it for a hobby, you shouldn't be paid for your time. Only materials as you're doing it for your own fun.

Should I go back and show you the huge lumps in your work? I mean it'll take me a few minutes as I'd have to start up the laptop (since I work on my ipad, iPhone or ipad mini mostly) but I'd be more than happy to show you where you started off wrong and where it looked like uncooked pizza dough.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    99 Post(s)

Are you not seeing where near the back end of the front mid where there are nice sized divots and a huge lump that really needed to be smoothed out? Or how about the area above the last 2 mids where you can tell the material you used was stretched the wrong way and is producing a wave effect?

Not nitpicking just showing you where your mistakes are and how those shouldn't be considered ready for anything. If you've had to do a lot of body work to get them to that point then you're using the wrong material to start your base, (tshirts are not a great material for a base as they aren't very stretchy and when wet tend to sag)not pulling the base fabric in the right directions to reduce wrinkles or you're not laying the glass down smooth enough to reduce your body work time. It's easy to learn from working on many different sets of panels, but only if you're willing to learn. If you're already saying that those panels are ready to be finished then you are thinking that you've grasped the concept already. In reality you're very far from being able to charge a dollar amount more than materials. And anyone thinking of sending their panels to you should remember that as well and get a price quote from someone who does better work as opposed to the price from you and compare the difference. FIXING A SET OF PANELS COST MORE THAN GETTING THEM DONE RIGHT FROM THE BEGINNING.

12. Thanks brandonkain82 thanked for this post
    Likes windoxp, brandonkain82 liked this post
    bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    859 Post(s)

Yeah, I know the bedliner wasn't your choice, I was just sharing my opinion on the finished product. When you post your work on a public forum you're going to get both positive and negative feedback...and when I don't like something, I'm always going to comment on it...simple as that

And I wasn't aware you didn't wrap the dash, that's on him then.

redrider is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)

Ummm......

noaffiliation.net
    subs : 1 SSA 10" gcon D2
    doors: not sure...assuming factory lol
    amp: PPI black ice series 1300.1D
    wires: whatever was there..... 4 awg
    alt: stock
    Big 3: not yet
    box: mdf/fiberglassed box ported tuned @ 34.... in process of being built by me
    Bought from: Catman Speckdzl4shzl
    Sold to: Black3gks 03silverado03

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1308 Post(s)

Yeah, I know the bedliner wasn't your choice, I was just sharing my opinion on the finished product. When you post your work on a public forum you're going to get both positive and negative feedback...and when I don't like something, I'm always going to comment on it...simple as that

And I wasn't aware you didn't wrap the dash, that's on him then.
    I'm not saying I don't like negative feedback. It's just how you deliver it. Positive criticism and being a **** are two different things. And sometimes people need to hear that their work *****. Lol

Love your sig btw. By far my favorite movie scene ever lmao

brandonkain82 is offline your mom goes to college

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    263 Post(s)

Later douche bag

2 smd fifteens on 2 b2 m1s. 8 crossfire mids and 4 aq tweets on 3 b2 qautros. 270 mechman. 10 c and d batts. Busting windshields like its my job.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4