Reload Thread: Vdub sql

ciaonzo is offline TheContinental

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Re: Vdub sql

Quote Originally Posted by DDtC View Post
    Scott Bulwalda- Hybrid audios owner
    Ah... Why am I not surprised. I guess fourth order is technically sealed with balls as well, lol. Good frequency range, too. One octave.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Bassballer150 is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Well, SQL is a misnomer like that other popular one, substage. I hate both of those 'words' and I refuse to acknowledge them, but I'm lovin' that little DD full range amplifier. I'd like to try one of those at some point.

It's important to think of vented enclosures and PR enclosures as practically synonymous, but certainly interchangeable. You can achieve identical frequency response plots with both in the pass band, the only exception is the 28dB rolloff with PR compared to 24dB with vented. Other than that, they do exactly the same thing. Each has it's own advantages. PR is a little touchier and a horrid transient response is guaranteed if done wrong. Vented is much more forgiving if tuning is off target.

To say that you can't have a sound quality setup with a vent is incorrect, you can. You just need to preserve certain things like frequency extension and low group delay within the important thresholds. Another point of interest is the response from 20-80hz. Even if I have an absolutely perfect frequency response profile from 5 to 500hz as measured in an anechoic space, the second I introduce it into the vehicle's interior, that is out the window. The vehicle's acoustics will dominate no matter what. This is why it is ABSOLUTELY essential to have equalization capabilities.

I'm at work so gotta go for now.
    Thanks for clearing that up , this is definitely not a pure sq setup but hopefully it does what I want and that's play anything I throw at it and be able to enjoy my music which is why I got into CA in the first place

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Xcon 15" D2

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Bassballer150 View Post
    Thanks for clearing that up , this is definitely not a pure sq setup but hopefully it does what I want and that's play anything I throw at it and be able to enjoy my music which is why I got into CA in the first place
    I'm sure it will sound great, man. The Pioneer head should allow you to work around any obstacle you may encounter. Sorry for the clutter in your build thread.

Saying "clipping doesn't kill speakers" is a half-truth at best. Technically no, clipping itself does not hurt the speaker. But in clipping your amp, you can easily create a situation that WILL kill the speaker. Was the squared waveform the DIRECT cause of the failure? No. In the end, the answer is, always has been, and can only be... heat kills speakers. BUT, clipping increases heat generation, sometimes by a drastic amount. So to start a thread simply to state that clipping does not hurt speakers is, again, a half-truth at best.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hybrids-M3 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ciaonzo View Post
    Link? Name? MECA? Throw me a bone, here.
    Here you go, man. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    The enclosure was designed by Pete at http://pwkdesigns.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Hybrids-M3 View Post
    Here you go, man. https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=3&theater
    The enclosure was designed by Pete at http://pwkdesigns.com/
    Beautiful work, thank you for the link. I love the approach you took with the kick panels.

I'm noticing now that the enclosure is actaully a 6th order, which is even more impressive with regard to group delay and transient response. I'm sure between the one octave sub-40hz passband and T/A, it's not an issue. Again, very nice.

Hybrids-M3 is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not Scott, but he would say thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RLDriver View Post
    tweeters used to almost ALWAYS go in the kicks with the mids. it seems to have evolved recentlyto the dash. I like them in the kicks, personally, but maybe I just haven't heard the right setup to change my mind!
    There's good reason for that, especially for anyone still using the passive crossover that was supplied with the components. Back in the day there wasn't much T/A so the best way to equalize path-lengths was to mount drivers in the kicks. Aside from that, it's crucial to keep the mid and tweet as close together as possible to preserve phase coherency and a good/even power response. Splitting the mids and tweets apart by more than a full wavelength at the set crossover frequency introduces phase anomalies and comb filtering issues. People tend to think that you can solve this by simply inverting the polarity on the tweets, but that throws the design of the partnership between the components and the passive crossover right out the window as the polarity was already taken into consideration based on the slopes involved.

With T/A and steep filters, splitting drivers is not as big of an issue but there's still penalties involved when compared to setups acting more like a point source, coax and full range.

BAPEKC is offline 2LT

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

i have a mk4 also...what you doin for power? alt? batts?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BAPEKC View Post
    i have a mk4 also...what you doin for power? alt? batts?
    still looking at my options as far as alt goes, but will be running d3100 under the hood and 1or2 bt120 in the back

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    33 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RLDriver View Post
    Let me let you in on a secret.. Most of these kids shouldnt run active. they dont know how to properly do it. Properly set up passives>>>>poorly set up active. You know this though
    Amen, brutha.

Ronny is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jockhater2 View Post
    Your welcome. I don't really have much experience. It's just what I have heard.

How come you chose to crimp the 0-rings instead of solder them?
    A proper crimping, as in utilizing the needed pressure and material(s), do to the terminal and cable, what is called cold-fuse them together. Although, for the size cables and terminals we use, the amount of pressure needed is indeed immense :p A cold fusing of say OFC cabling and an OFC terminal, actually fuses them as ONE continuous piece of cable. Sure, CCA cabling for instance with an aluminum or copper terminal can cold fuse as well; total resistivity of the piece will still be low, but a tiny bit higher than using the same material for it. Yes you can fuse different metals together, but that is a process that requires a cave and LOTS of explosives lol. Anyhow, I don't want to clog this thread up much more because it is a nice build thread ; but for a given piece, proper crimping has less total resistivity than a soldered piece from say one terminal's end to the other terminal's end. However, for most of the world, the difference is not too big of a concern.

14. Likes ciaonzo liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pulled out the carpet to wash and finished up adding at to the floor

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

picked up a new interior off craigslist not bad for 50bucks way better then the dirty tan seats i had

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast