Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: 2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's

s3th is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's

This has the possibility to become a long investment over time, possibly years. But I can give you a good idea of what has been done so far and where I am going. I am all ears for ideas, clues, things I should have done, and things I just shouldn't waste my time doing, please give me all the feedback you can, bad or good. I am not a car audio professional, but I have always wanted something, extremely loud, a head turner, attention grabber, whatever you want to call it. I want people to point at me and say "Hey man, let me get a demo of that system". In the end it's not about me, it's about peoples reactions and how it warms me up when they smile and plug their ears from spl pleasure. ;]

To start it off the car, its a 2010 camaro LT1, I went with the v6 version, because in the end, I don't care to much about the engine. Two, people like spending money making their cars faster, more hp etc, I just like making mine loud, and beautiful to the ears.

I've had it for about for about a 2 years now and going from a 1991 saturn to this, I was in awe. I really wasn't too knowledgeable at the time about car audio, I knew how to put in a basic subwoofer, amplifier, and a prefab box run some of the wires, and minor electrical work ( splicing ) etc nothing special. I knew nothing about how much a box built to specs would actually matter, how much power, was actually good for subwoofers, how much electrical work was actually needed to make it loud.

Next after I bought the car, I knew I wanted a touchscreen H/U, never had one before so with the rest of my deployment money, and got what I could. A Pioneer AVH-P3200BT which was about 400$, the sad part was the install kit for the camaro at the time was 300$ !!! Just for something the touchscreen could sit in and integrate A/C controls, etc. It was the only one made at the time, and still might be, but I went with it. I was excited, a 18 year old, with money, and you buy some dumb expensive ****.

After that expensive little piece was put in, It blew my mind. Stock radio speakers were so much louder than before, I guess that little boost in wattage from the H/U made them soar. It was so clean and loud I was hooked. Somehow I made it a few months without blowing more money on subs right away, but I just couldn't wait any longer. About 6-10 months later, I went and bought me a Alpine Type-R 12" Which I have used in another car. I also had the Alpine Type-X before this, but me being stupid and not understanding a prefab box was just not cutting it, I sold the type-x a week later thinking it was a waste of money. Little did I know the same guy that I sold it to had a box built to specs a few weeks later after I sold it to him. He gave me a demo, and I couldn't believe it same sub, same amplifier, but it was so loud it hurt my ears. I didn't think of it anymore really after awhile, but that definitely opened my eyes to what needs to be done to make things loud.

So here it is my Type-R and the Hifonics Brutus 1200 that banged my car for quite sometime, until now.

I was pretty happy with that sub amp, and a prefab box combo, but the day my Type-R started cracking on the front almost a year later, and it sounded like straight crap. Alpine wouldn't except an RMA or help get me a new sub because the warranty ran out, I gave in, and started seeking bigger things.

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon10 Re: 2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's

After seeking help from what to do next in a car audio shop, I ran into someone who had an old, old buick. When I say old I mean all spare tires, with dirt literally falling out from under the car. I didn't expect anything, but I saw a few people crowding around his car so I went over to check it out. After I got a closeup glance, all I could see was tweeters/midbass speakers from one end to the next on the inside of his car, I knew from that point he meant business. He popped the trunk before giving me a demo, and in a box tuned to 36 hz, carpeted and polished, was Two 12" HDC 3.0 Subs looking **** as ever. He had nice little amp ramps for two 2400 watt Hifonics Brutus's, and several multi-channel amps powering all his silk-dome tweeters etc.

I said, without asking, let me hear this now! I got in the car, and he turned the volume to max, picked a song, not a single crack in the sound, you could hear every little tap, horns, sounds, lyric as loud as your head can stand. Following the extremely loud speakers, he turned the bass nob up until I my ears felt like they were about to explode. I was hooked... I grabbed my ipod from my car with my busted *** type-r and sat in his car for about an hour and a half going through my music. I couldn't believe I never been in a car before that had a serious audiophile as the driver, and it made my head rattle. From that moment on I knew what I wanted...

I had a headache for the whole night following that long demo with all the music I could bear.

Luckily for me one of the guys that works in the audioshop had a roomate who said he would measure my trunk and build me a box, and I didn't waste no time getting a hold of him because I knew exactly what I needed. ( Box built to specs reference from earlier ) My very first boxed tuned to what I wanted, I was so excited.

So after a quick visit he got some measurements, it's going to be a very tight fit, and I will lose my entire trunk, but I was willing to do whatever. After the measurements were done, the cubes were set to what I wanted, and he told me it was going to be about 36 hz, I was set on a price and what I wanted. So he began the work.

This is the concept that later began in the wood-shop

A day later I went to check out how it was going. This is the pictures of what was in-progress and looking good.

Now as you can tell yes, that is a port made completely out of wood, it was so smooth, and accurate, a ****-near perfect circle. A lot of cutting stop, measuring, moving cutting stop, etc... But he made it happen, he said it was his first cylindrical port made completely out of wood. No plastic, PVC reinforce, nothing. Straight wood.

I couldn't wait, just a few more days before this bad boy is in my car.

Then the final result was in the next day.

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's

That's it fellas, that was the box as you can see it turned out a little bit different from the orignal concept, I like the holes on that side anyway. It was either have the port facing the back of the trunk which would make the subs hidden and the port hidden, or turn the port towards the cab, and you can actually see the port well from the cab, and see the subs with the trunk open. I decided on the forward facing port, and boy does it slam on only 900 watts. I'm not sure what to do on the box as far as looks, maybe some nice carpet, varnish or something. I didn't care right away I just wanted to test it out.

After darkness finally came and an hour or so of trying to figure out how to get the box in, we lowered the seats in the back lowered the front seats and took the headrests off and it slipped right in. It was a close snug fit, but **** did it look good.

I already had my first AQ HDC 3.0 before I got the box built. Man after never being able to hold a real subwoofer like this with a massive motor/magnet, I was in shock. It weighed so much, I really couldn't believe it, I was going to need help getting it out of the box and into my car lol.

I know theirs bigger, and better, but coming from brand-named stuff life alpine, which at the time I thought was huge, to this beast, all the emotions were going crazy. I'm worse than a woman.

I went with the HDC 3.0 1 Ohm DVC Copper subs, I could either wire one which is all I have at the time to .5 or 2 ohms, I wasn't sure about that impedance on an Hifonics Brutus so I stuck with the 900 watts @ 2 ohms.

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Icon10 Re: 2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's LONG READ

Once I get the second Dual 1 Ohm sub, which thanks to jfroghobo, my second one is on its way, and will hopefully be here this friday. 200 Bucks out the door for a brand new DVC 1 OHM HDC 3, can't beat that!!!!!! I can then wire one sub series which I already have and the one I am getting in parallel for a final impedance of 1 ohm into the amplifier. Right now thats only 600 watt per sub off the hifonics brutus but I figured go ahead and get another sub then save up for electrical next. I plan on getting an AQ 2200 for both, then eventually get each sub their own 2200 Watts of power after full break-in.

I forgot to mention that as of now I also have Alpine Type-R Components in the door, and my rear fill is still stock speakers which I'm not sure what else to do with front and rear fill for now. Also laying around I have a few sheets of some dynamat which I plan on doing my license plate and some spots around each door speaker and some panels on the inside. I don't need it as much now, but once I get some mid-bass and more tweeters in I will worry a lot more about sound-deadening later.

I will take pictures tomorrow around my lunch break of the sub sitting in the car, and the setup, I have a wooden plug with some foam and a few screws in place for the other hole until I get my other 12. Hope you guys will check back every month or so to see whats up.

Things to look for, new wheels/plasti-dipped stock wheels, floor LED lighting, box carpeting, varnishing, amplifier mounting, extra batterys and h/o alt installation, Smoked tail/headlights/foglights. The main reason this could be a long investment is I save up and buy a little as I go. However, I have a deployment coming up around the end of this year, I should come back with about 10-18$ grand, and after that the real fun begins, and I can fill in all the gaps.

THANKS FOR READING CHECK BACK MONTHLY FOR UPDATES!!!!

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Awesome man. Gonna be loud as hell. Do your back seats fold down in that car?

REFS alot

Dtrom is offline MAF

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)

Re: 2010 Camaro AQ HDC 3 12's LONG READ

Oh and how do you like the brutus amp?

REFS alot

RicksI30 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dtrom View Post
    They do

I'm interested in seeing the results!

Head unit: Kenwood Excelon KDC-X996
    Front stage: Alpine Type X PRO mids Vifa Neo 1" silk tweeters
    Front stage amp: PPI Bk800.4
    Subs: SSA XCON 12's in 4.5 cubes tuned to 34hz
    Sub amp: PPI Bk1300.1
    Sound Deadening: Second Skin Damplifier Pro, Spectrum, and Sludge

Team SSA

8. Thanks s3th thanked for this post
    QueSound15 is offline I know a thing or two....

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Great start. Gonna be loud as hell!!!

Also my buddy is being deployed later this year too, in August, he is being deployed to Egypt. Good luck with that man.

Vehicle....2004 Dodge neon sxt 4-door
    H/U......Kenwood x595
    Speaker amp....Old School Soundstream p205
    Front Stage.....AQ 6.5" components
    Rear Fill.....Vibe slick 3-way 6x9" coaxils
    Subwoofer Amp......Hifonics zrx.2000.1D
    Subwoofer....2 12" Soundqubed/Audioque SDC2.5's
    Box.....custom 4.2 cubes tuned at ~36 Hertz
    Kinetic HC2400 in trunk, interstate under hood, Big 3 in Cadence 0, Auditechnix 0 power
    Stock 85amp alt

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yes the seats do fold down, I love to ride like that, it's louder you can see the port and amp and it blows a lot of air around. Usually a fun site seeing my fiances hair moving around with only 900 watts of power.

Oh and how do you like the brutus amp?
    I love it, I've had it on two different type-r's, the most recent which I've blown, and a Type-X, which it pushed at 1 ohm without any problems ever. Now it's pushing this beast aswell on 900 watts at 2 ohms with no problem either. I've ran the heck out of this amp and I have never had any problems, at all. But I might be getting rid of it soon if possible to help fund my next amp.

Thanks for reading. :]

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unfortunately it's raining like hell to day, the one day I was going to do a little photoshoot of the car and it's pouring outside. Hopefully around lunch time at work or after work today I can get a chance to take some pics of the box in the trunk or take a few pictures of the sub. Secretly, I don't want to show you guys yet because it looks ugly with the other sub not in there yet. But I'll see what I can do.

Also jfroghobo shipped out that HDC 3 for me yesterday, I was going to have to wait until friday to buy it from him, but I was able to get the money early, so I went ahead and paid him and he sent it already. At the latest my second HDC 3 should be here friday and I can cover that ugly hole with another massive 12.

I know some people won't like this but the only bad thing about the subwoofer I am getting from him is the older style that says AQ on the front which I like better, but I also have the sub from where they started doing the new soundqubed subs. So the only thing that might be ugly is the two different dustcaps, but as long as it beats I am stoked.

Also upcoming, I am in the process of figuring out how to get this big 3 actually done to my car, I have said in previous threads that I started, the battery to this car is in the trunk. The wires to my amplifiers and the battery are short, but when I do the big 3 the run that has to go from alternator positive to battery positive is going to be 12 ft long. So thats a big project on how to get it through the firewall in it's self. ANYWAYS

I'll take some videos/pics whenever I get the sub this week.

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the LED on my 300$ kit finally went out after only a year of use. Turns out its not just a little blue bulb that can be replaced easily. It's some kind of module that projects a blue light or some kind, something I can't replace easily. I'll have to buy a whole new kit send the one I got back, install the new one. Then when they get the kit back to the manufacture, they will refund me, except the shipping. Hopefully this new one will last longer than a year. My warranty was up as well I'm lucky they are even allowing this to happen.

My second HDC 3 will finally be on it's way tomorrow hopefully and if all goes well it will be here Friday or Saturday. I am excited to cover this hole up with another **** 12" AQ sub.

On a good note, it finally stopped raining after going hard for 2 days straight. If it's still like this when I get off work today, I might actually have a chance to throw a video up and some pics of the actually box and sub in the car.

Stay tuned

s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So heres a few pics as promised of what it looks like on the inside, my whole trunk is literally gone for the sake of audio. Oh well, I don't have kids and can use the back seats for groceries. The only thing that ***** is getting the box in and out of car to put new equipment in, like an amp(s) and extra battery(s) I have just enough rough on each side of the box for something. I might have to get creative maybe I can put an amp under my car seat with a few fans and hopefully it wont get too warm... Any suggestions? If anything I can mount an amp on top of the box I got enough room between the top of the box and the rear deck speakers for probably a couple good sized amps.

Without further ado

And just because shes cute as hell heres my pet pig

I'm going to be outside in a bit with the video camera so I can take a video of this baby slappin.

bubbagumper6 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)

Nice, I just bought a 2010 LT1 V6 a couple weeks ago. There is actually a second dash kit available now made by Scosche that has a touch screen for the climate controls that I'm waiting for (out of stock everywhere). But it looks pretty slick and a little cleaner than all the buttons on the Metra kit. 2010 2011 2012 2013 Camaro Scosche Dash Kit Double Din Radio Upgrade with Touchscreen

Planning on some nice fiberglass work for mine eventually (probably this summer) but gotta get that dang dash kit first, haha. Looking forward to following your build.

Also, here's my baby

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

For amps you should look at Rockfords PBR line for a 4 channel. They fit in your hand and do more than rated. Nice lil amps

16. Likes CJL liked this post
    s3th is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ok so It's been like a week, I finally got my second HDC 3 a few days ago, running them at 1 ohm to a Hifonics 1200 watt. For now I am satisfied and I am back to upgrading my front stage. I have a friend with a ford explorer with a good amount of power running to his components and turns out he has the same ones as me and those things get extremely loud. I am currently looking for an amp to power my components so I can get them off my H/U and get them the clean, loud power they deserve. I can turn most songs up to about 30 out of 40 on my Head Unit before I hear some hissing froma few songs so I keep it a bit below that. I don't like going to full volume on my Head Unit so, if I get these Type-Rs some watts hopefully they will be enough to hurt my ears at lower levels.

I'm stuck at what amp to get though, I have never wired Components before to an amp, from what I've gathered it's going to be Tweeters to CrossOvers To the (T+ AND T-) then The 6.5 Woofers to the CrossOvers ( W+ AND W-) then the + AND - Input to the + and - on the amplifier. Can someone confirm if this is correct? Also do I need a 4 channel amp or a 2 channel amp for components? Also, If I plug the Pos and Neg from each set of components into an amp, the final impedance of 4 ohms will split the power evenly between the 4 speakers, or how does that work?

So Precision Power P600.2 190W x 2 600W x 1 190 W at 4 Ohms will give each speaker ( Woofer/Tweeter) roughly 45 Watts?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast