Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Reload Thread: I went balls-deep in some CDT poon and this is what birthed itself...

gckless is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Re: I went balls-deep in some CDT poon and this is what birthed itself...

Can you explain what the microspheres are for? Nice work though for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ducatipaso View Post
    15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

marleyskater420 is offline Banned

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Just a little over 2oz. Good to start with.

Always keep extra gloves and brushes nearby

This is the pigment I used. I put about of it in each time. Maybe more depending on how much resin I am mixing up.

Close up of the microspheres and what they do

Pic of the resin with the pigment drops in it. You can see the spheres turn the resin into a blueish color

What I consider a scoop of spheres to be.

This is also how much coke I could stuff in my nose in one rail when I was younger. Coincidence I can't smell or taste? ….mwuahaha
    Last edited by marleyskater420; 12-06-2012 at 10:31 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Here is what the resin looks like after you mix in the spheres and pigment

The “good” panel's low spot, filled with spheres. It was uneven because I didn't have the time to sit and spread it evenly..it was 4am and I had work at 730am.. yea..

This is what roughly 6 scoops of spheres looks like. You can see how much space it takes up in the cup.

shot of the good panel after the 2nd layer of spheres

To spread the spheres mixture I use a new brush and gently sweep downwards, with the brush oriented as vertical as possible to get a long sweep with each stroke. I found the more vertical/drastic angle I had, and the cleaner the brush (I used about 6 brushes perfecting this layer of spheres...but I'm weird like that) I had much better and smoother results. Long, sweeping strokes were good for initial orienting of the panel, but as I really wanted to perfect it and it got drier, what I would do is short, gentle strokes. I would use this drastic angle on the brush and take areas of buildup that were higher than others on the panel, and gently move, with a soft sweeping motion, the areas and spread them out to other areas of the panel. It might take 40 strokes to go from the bottom of the panel to the top, but it made for a very, very smooth panel and finish.
    Last edited by marleyskater420; 12-06-2012 at 10:23 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Ah, got it. So simply to reduce weight. Good for use in pods like this, But I would think bad for a sub box. Either way, looks good.

15inch subs can't play fast beats, they take more power and that taxes the vehicles electrical system. You will wake up and "hear" then see the light at the end of the tunnel and it will be 3 10's pounding so hard you wont even open your trunk or turn your system on because you 15's will sound sloppy & weak.
    stfu lesbo.why are you worried about me so much? you must want to date me ya little cookie monster but i dont even like sweets. your just a cup full of ice, dirt dead nasty azz ice...without the water.

Dat Build Log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?2566-1999-Chevrolet-Blazer&highlight=1999+blazer

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Ah, got it. So simply to reduce weight. Good for use in pods like this, But I would think bad for a sub box. Either way, looks good.
    Not exactly.

The pics are all out of order. Once I organize it, it'll make sense.

The spheres thicken up the resin to make it more like bondo, but it self-levels to a point. It also allows you to build up uneven areas and not worry about resin sliding off the panel and getting that dripping effect. It basically makes the resin like bondo, but smoother and way more versatile.

They are meant to replace bondo altogether. Cause when you think about it, all bondo does is level things out..well this does that (somewhat by itself depending how thick you make it) and dries much smoother and even.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by marleyskater420 View Post
    Not exactly.

The pics are all out of order. Once I organize it, it'll make sense.

The spheres thicken up the resin to make it more like bondo, but it self-levels to a point. It also allows you to build up uneven areas and not worry about resin sliding off the panel and getting that dripping effect. It basically makes the resin like bondo, but smoother and way more versatile.

They are meant to replace bondo altogether. Cause when you think about it, all bondo does is level things out..well this does that (somewhat by itself depending how thick you make it) and dries much smoother and even.
    Got it. I'll have to look at those. Is the price vs. performance difference worth it, over just using bondo and/or resin and a little extra sandpaper? Because I for one absolutely hate sanding.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gckless View Post
    Got it. I'll have to look at those. Is the price vs. performance difference worth it, over just using bondo and/or resin and a little extra sandpaper? Because I for one absolutely hate sanding.
    Omfg it is so worth it. Its like 9$ for the jug and I have like 1/3 left and I've done 3 complete layers of the spheres.

You still have to sand it, dont get me wrong, but it comes off so much easier than bondo, and the nice thing is you can take a paint brush to it and smooth it out while it dries. I am using Vinyl Ester resin, not Polyester, and it is really sensitive to heat, so I was working in a cold space and I mixed like double the MEKP needed and I had easily 2 hours of working time with the spheres, probably more. And as soon as I put it under heat it cured over night.

This is my first time ever doing fiberglass, but I'll never use bondo again I think. I don't see a reason to. Plus you can mix in light amounts of the spheres when you're applying matting and it thickens things up a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)

Omfg it is so worth it. Its like 9$ for the jug and I have like 1/3 left and I've done 3 complete layers of the spheres.

You still have to sand it, dont get me wrong, but it comes off so much easier than bondo, and the nice thing is you can take a paint brush to it and smooth it out while it dries. I am using Vinyl Ester resin, not Polyester, and it is really sensitive to heat, so I was working in a cold space and I mixed like double the MEKP needed and I had easily 2 hours of working time with the spheres, probably more. And as soon as I put it under heat it cured over night.

This is my first time ever doing fiberglass, but I'll never use bondo again I think. I don't see a reason to. Plus you can mix in light amounts of the spheres when you're applying matting and it thickens things up a bit.
    Well, I'm sold.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Ok so I edited all the pictures and put captions on each of them.

Hopefully this will help the n00bs like myself with an idea of wtf to do. More pics to come later.

Timmy13091 is offline Team DC

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    49 Post(s)

Ok so I edited all the pictures and put captions on each of them.

Hopefully this will help the n00bs like myself with an idea of wtf to do. More pics to come later.
    Thanks for making things easy fool !

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Timmy13091 View Post
    Thanks for making things easy fool !
    no prob maistro!

knotdrummer88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 04murdalanche View Post
    Nice man, they look good!

---------- Post added at 03:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

BALLLLLSS DEEP, AGH AGH AGH AGH lol
    we talking hodge twins here?

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

What can I say, Im an old fashioned kind of guy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by knotdrummer88 View Post
    we talking hodge twins here?
    Yesss! I'm glad someone caught my drift, lmfao I clicked on this thread thinking that's what it was gonna be about, they are sooooo fvcking funny lol

knotdrummer88 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

hell fvcking yeah they are man, and on top of that Im into lifting and working out as well, so its a perfect match! theyre awesome

Quote Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
    I look for a girl with lowered standards, and possibly a vision problem. Depth perception and size awareness problems are a definite must. Also must like river-dancing and hideous, irreversible burn scars.

What can I say, Im an old fashioned kind of guy.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)

Hodge twins? Who? How do i lift and not know who this is!?

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast