Closed Thread

Reload Thread: Acura RSX SQ Build (Linear Power, Xtant, Alpine)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Acura RSX SQ Build (Linear Power, Xtant, Alpine)

Okay so after a long time searching I was finally able to put together my first SQ build. I got all 3 amps for under $300 on local CL. I am a college student so this hobby is kinda expensive along with car mods. I was very pleased with this find. My previous setup was more SPL oriented, which consisted of kicker amplifiers and alpine type r subs. I ran my old setup with an rfq-5000 dolby pro-logic surround sound processor. Here are some pics of the old gear.

Old Gear
    Kicker 350.4
    Kicker 1500.1
    Rfq-5000

After purchasing the amps I figured I would go with a new processor. I had previously heard a setup with an Alpine imprint and soon as I heard it I knew I would be buying one in the future. I kept my speakers the same which consists of ctx image dynamics up front and pioneer 3-ways in the rear. Here are some shots of the new gear that got swapped in.

New Gear
    Linear Power 952 X 2
    Xtant x1001
    Alpine Pxa-H100

My Baby

Just Some noticeable Comparisons
    Linear Power 952 vs Kicker 350.4 This amp swap was a day and night difference in my opinion. The linear power amp sounds so warm and live sounding. I can literally hear sounds with this setup that I could vaguely or not even hear before. Its nice to finally know what clean power sounds like.

Xtant x1001 vs Kicker 1500.1 Now obviously the kicker amp had more power than the Xtant. However, the Xtant sounds better in almost everyway. The Bass is much tighter and more responsive. It actualy sounds more like a drum and not just a thud. After riding around with the Xtant amp a couple days I put the kicker back in to compare and it sounded muddy. So im definitely going to keep the Xtant in this setup.

Alpine Pxa-H100 vs. Fosgate RFQ-5000
    These processors are completely different in every way. I am definitely going to miss my rfq-5000. The rfq makes the car sound more spacial. It also does a good job of sending back up vocals and certain instruments to the rears. However, the pro-logic isnt beneficial on every song. Some songs sounded awesome, while others just left me a front stage with the rears playing no sound. Also hooking up an Ipad or tablet through the aux was nice because movies were decoded with the pro-logic. However, I always had an issue with white noise in the background while running this processor. It is nice to have absolutely no noise issues with the pxa-h100. The pxa-h100 has nice time correction and sound field options. It is hard to identify where the speakers are now that the imprint is installed. My sound stage has drastically improved with the imprint. It has 6 presets which is nice so u can have more than just one sweet spot in your driver seat .

Future plans
    New sub stage (please don't flame me for having type r's in a sq setup)
    Active on front components.
    Last edited by asianinvasion21; 06-14-2012 at 01:52 AM.

2003 Acura RSX Type S
    Head Unit - Alpine iDA-X200 (USB Ipod Control)
    Front Speakers - Image Dynamics Ctx65cs
    Rear Speakers - Pioneer TS A1674R
    Subwoofers - Alpine Type-R Subs
    Sub Amplifier - Xtant x1001
    Speaker Amplifier - Linear Power 952 X 2
    Processor - Rockford Fosgate (rfq5000), Alpine Pxa-H100

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)

Re: Acura RSX SQ Build (Linear Power, Xtant, Alpine)

Nice upgrades, now ditch the rears and focus on the front stage.

Pics of the CTX installation?

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

asianinvasion21 is offline ai217

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The ctx locations are in stock position on the dash which is not the best spot for them lol. I don't have pics of the install because I just swapped out my amps and processor. Would u recommend the wood spheres or tweeter pods? Im trying to keep the car stock looking if possible tho.

Last edited by asianinvasion21; 06-14-2012 at 01:50 AM.

2003 Acura RSX Type S

Ignatowski is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had an RSX for 3 years,it did not take much to make it get loud since its so small of a car
    and it def does not need rear fill - I think youd be happier with better subs but I like it

asianinvasion21 is offline ai217

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ya fun little car I was looking into some image dynamics id subs. Maybe a single 15 but thats when I get some more money later on. I am highly considering going active and ditching rear fill. Im still getting use to all the imprint features. I do like time delaying the rears a bit just to get a more spacial feel and what not. After I mess with it a little more ill make some decisions. As of now I am constantly changing things to see what sounds best.

2003 Acura RSX Type S

Closed Thread