Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Re: Joseph's SQ Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph7195 View Post
    Thanks! I hope you stay tune in, I plan on updating every chance I get. Even if I have not done any major mods, I plan on keeping it updated!
    Yeah I'm definitely going to checking in to see what you have done! I go on from work almost everyday (:

Joseph7195 is online now Can't Walk, I still F*ck

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

I got a question guys! Tweeter Sphere time. Anybody got any good ideas on how to drill a hole into a wooden sphere and keep it centered, but also doing it with limited tools? Here are some pics of my problem:

Multiple drill holes

I have an electric drill, but no drill press. no bench vise, just a couple clamps. Any ideas will be welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by adulbrich View Post
    We don't have food stamps on the east side. Its called a link card. Man, the grocery is packed on the first of da month. I shit you not, a homie got stabbed over a can of soup.

redrider is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)

i was going to suggest cutting a portion of the end off, like you would for an onion so it has a flat surface to sit to cut the rest of it up, but here you would use the flat surface to drill into

noaffiliation.net
    subs : 1 SSA 10" gcon D2
    doors: not sure...assuming factory lol
    amp: PPI black ice series 1300.1D
    wires: whatever was there..... 4 awg
    alt: stock
    Big 3: not yet
    box: mdf/fiberglassed box ported tuned @ 34.... in process of being built by me
    Bought from: Catman Speckdzl4shzl
    Sold to: Black3gks 03silverado03

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by redrider View Post
    i was going to suggest cutting a portion of the end off, like you would for an onion so it has a flat surface to sit to cut the rest of it up, but here you would use the flat surface to drill into
    I appreciate your help, I plan on coming up with a simple way to make these things so other's like me (with limited tools) can build these more easily. It's a very important step in a lot of people's builds so I hope I can get it figured out.

We don't have food stamps on the east side. Its called a link card. Man, the grocery is packed on the first of da month. I shit you not, a homie got stabbed over a can of soup.

redrider is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    213 Post(s)

np man just throwing out ideas there.

noaffiliation.net
    subs : 1 SSA 10" gcon D2
    doors: not sure...assuming factory lol
    amp: PPI black ice series 1300.1D
    wires: whatever was there..... 4 awg
    alt: stock
    Big 3: not yet
    box: mdf/fiberglassed box ported tuned @ 34.... in process of being built by me
    Bought from: Catman Speckdzl4shzl
    Sold to: Black3gks 03silverado03

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)

Maybe put the spheres in an egg carton?

Quote Originally Posted by globalminds_ent View Post
    people think that companies are so much better than each other when it comes to amps, but this is all a game people..all of this **** is the same, now some are better than others but in the end all of this **** is the same. These companies want u to fight over who is the best. When honestly there is probably 2 or 3 huge companies that make every single amp on the planet. Wake up people.u don't no who owns this stuff and u don't know who owns these build houses.
    Quote Originally Posted by benbenondatrack View Post
    you dont even got no swag anyway

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MisterDeadeye View Post
    Maybe put the spheres in an egg carton?
    You've mistaken my build log for The Thunderdome, here is a link to get you back on track:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/thund...-members-only/

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    365 Post(s)

I think that might of been a legitimate suggestions ? are you having problems with them rolling on you when your drill?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)

You've mistaken my build log for The Thunderdome, here is a link to get you back on track:

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/thund...-members-only/
    No. What's the issue with your drill holes? Are the spheres not staying in place? If they fit into an egg carton(even if you have to force them in), they'd stay pretty much in place as long as you position them so that your hole will be perpendicular to the surface the carton is sitting on.

people think that companies are so much better than each other when it comes to amps, but this is all a game people..all of this **** is the same, now some are better than others but in the end all of this **** is the same. These companies want u to fight over who is the best. When honestly there is probably 2 or 3 huge companies that make every single amp on the planet. Wake up people.u don't no who owns this stuff and u don't know who owns these build houses.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    I think that might of been a legitimate suggestions ? are you having problems with them rolling on you when your drill?
    If it was, I would be sincerely apologetic.

And yes, it's a weird thing that's happening. As the clamp is holding it still, the bit (1 3/8" wood bit) is only 1/4" less in circumference than the sphere itself, so as you cut into the wood, the walls are getting thinner, allowing the walls to flex inward, squeezing the wood bit causing it to pinch the bit till it gets hung and then ultimately spin the sphere.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

No. What's the issue with your drill holes? Are the spheres not staying in place? If they fit into an egg carton(even if you have to force them in), they'd stay pretty much in place as long as you position them so that your hole will be perpendicular to the surface the carton is sitting on.
    Okay, I apologize. The force needed to hold the wood sphere in place while drilling is more than the egg carton could sustain. I like the idea cause it would help keep it upright (like a drill press vise) but the wood the sphere is made out of is very very hard. I couldn't make the one large diameter bit work, so I tried a smaller bit with multiple passes to do the same thing as a larger bit, but the wood is so stiff, the smaller bit caused the outer edges to chip off.

I did find a Forstner bit at harbor freight for $30, but I am trying to find an alternative for everyone that wouldn't require the buying of an expensive tool bit that would only get used once.

And again, I apologize. Thanks for the input, keep the ideas coming!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)

And yes, it's a weird thing that's happening. As the clamp is holding it still, the bit (1 3/8" wood bit) is only 1/4" less in circumference than the sphere itself, so as you cut into the wood, the walls are getting thinner, allowing the walls to flex inward, squeezing the wood bit causing it to pinch the bit till it gets hung and then ultimately spin the sphere.
    Hmm, troublesome indeed. With the egg carton, all of the pressure will be put on the bottom of the sphere, so you shouldn't have much of a problem with the outer edge of the sphere. Maybe try clamping the egg carton to your table(for added support), finding the exact you need to drill(the exact highest point of the sphere, make sure you're as close to perpendicular as possible, then drilling. If it doesn't work, I'm sorry. D:

Edit;

I think that with the way the carton is shaped, the force would be divided as such that after you use as much force you can physically exert(before even trying to drill, and just to see if this theory is even correct), the sphere still wouldn't move. I think it would be more likely to pop right back out than to completely smash the carton and go rolling off in another direction.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    869 Post(s)

Based on that same concept, do you have any sheet metal that you could form into a cone? Or, you could try cutting a hole into a piece of wood, setting it down like a table, putting the sphere in that, and then drilling. With these ideas, the force from you pushing down would be met with the force of the table/metal cone/egg carton, which would put the pressure away from the walls that you're creating.

It would also be better if you could line the hole/point of contact with something soft like weatherstripping or foam to get as tight of a fit as possible, ensuring that the sphere wouldn't move(with the egg carton, because it's so flimsy, you wouldn't need this).

splwj47 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    977 Post(s)

talk to @keep_hope_alive

2003 JEEP Grand Cherokee
    HU- pioneer 80prs
    Front Stage- Tantric HD comps.
    FS Amp- B2 Quattro
    Sub Amp-B2 Zero1
    Subs- Tantric HDD 12's
    box - 4.5^3 32hz

15. Likes Joseph7195 liked this post

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    333 Post(s)

Based on that same concept, do you have any sheet metal that you could form into a cone? Or, you could try cutting a hole into a piece of wood, setting it down like a table, putting the sphere in that, and then drilling. With these ideas, the force from you pushing down would be met with the force of the table/metal cone/egg carton, which would put the pressure away from the walls that you're creating.

It would also be better if you could line the hole/point of contact with something soft like weatherstripping or foam to get as tight of a fit as possible, ensuring that the sphere wouldn't move(with the egg carton, because it's so flimsy, you wouldn't need this).
    I think I see where you're going with this, and I like! Instead of squeezing the sphere to keep it from moving, use something that covers the rear of the egg and the friction of the materials hold it securely, without putting pressure on the sides. I could probably just cut out the styrofoam egg piece from the carton and put it into a form that is cone shaped (Like you suggested), and the force of drilling would hold it securely, and the more I push down, the more friction holds it in place.

I am gonna make a trip to harbor freight in the morning sometime, and I am gonna see of I can find something cheaper than a Fornster bit that will work, and do the same job. I even looked at a hole saw. They are pretty cheap, but I can't find one in the 1 3/8" size that would be needed. It would make a perfectly round hole on the edge of the sphere, and maybe I could use just regular drill bits to drill out the unnecessary wood in the middle.

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast