Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 266

Reload Thread: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

  1. #196
    >>SQL<<'s Avatar
    >>SQL<< is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    1,457
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    I will chime in, you want the port and sub to fire into the same area.
    Right now what I see is nothing more than a large sealed box.
    You are doing it wrong.
    I am sorry, I like your gumption (go for it attitude) but you are doing it wrong you want the port and subs to join together to increase output.
    Seriously I would tear it all out and start over.
    Last edited by >>SQL<<; 04-24-2012 at 09:11 AM.







  2. #197
    Imtjnotu's Avatar
    Imtjnotu is offline Me Gusta Edition



    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    San Diego CA
    Posts
    12,501
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    135 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Just sell them and go to 2 12" skars with the subs and port both firing into the cabin and seal it off... Will probably get louder then how you have it now




  3. #198
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    thanks for the mention. i can't read every thread.

    i need to get up to speed with the build and what you are trying to achieve...



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  4. #199
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    ok, so you have two massive ports firing forward, and the sub firing up. from the latest pics i don't see a massive hole in the rear deck that corresponds with the woofer.

    none if this is a dig, just trying to be informative. maybe you stick with what you have, maybe you start over. i start over every year or two, just to keep things interesting.

    you want the front wave from the sub to combine coherently (constructive interference) with the rear wave after it travels through the port. for that to happen you need both pathlengths to be free from obstruction and to make sense at the measurement location. hell, you can calc each path fairly easy. then you can determine what frequencies will constructively add and what frequencies will destructively cancel.

    the purpose of the obscene amount of expanding foam is to minimize leaks into the trunk. SPL requires controlling (and minimizing/eliminating) leaks in the cabin. doing so is quite the chore as the entire cabin is leaky (doors, door seals, firewall penetraions, A/C, speakers, etc.)

    What we can't clearly see is the path for sound from the woofer cone. it seems to be buried under the rear deck. you're losing substantial output by not having the front of the woofer cone firing clearly into the cabin, and having it sealed around that. when people do what you are trying to do - they remove a portion (or most) of the rear deck. that is 100x more difficult now that you've foamed the box in place. regardless, you want to open that back up. by removing the rear deck panel and carefully removing the metal above the sub, then building up around the sub (MDF blocks) and then sealing that, then recovering the rear deck (after stiffening the hell out of it) you should be ok. note that removing the rear glass will make this process MUCH easier.

    you also want the ability to remove a sub at will without destroying the box in the process. i'm not sure how you do that with your current configuration. opening up the rear deck will let you do that. your biggest challenge is doing all of this without damaging the sub it the process.

    if it were me: the entire rear seat/deck would be gone, trunk lid torsion bars gone, new bracing welded in for vehicle safety, strength, and stability, the upholstry would be out, the new enclosure would be glassed to the vehicle (no foam), all remaining panels would be stiffened, new coverings would be added (to match factory upholstry without being soft cushions), and you would clearly see both the woofer cone and ports at the same time from anywhere in the cabin. a fake seat cover could be made out of expanded metal covered in a thin open-wave fabric if you wanted the illusion of a factory-ish vehicle. further, the distance from cone to mic and port to mic (plus port travel) would coordinate with my anticipated/calculated/modeled SPL peak. not saying that is the right thing to do, that's just what i would do.

    my $.02 based on the limited amount of information i have been able to view in a few minutes.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  5. Thanks kushy_dreams thanked for this post
    Likes murph, chillin liked this post
  6. #200
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    ok, so you have two massive ports firing forward, and the sub firing up. from the latest pics i don't see a massive hole in the rear deck that corresponds with the woofer.

    none if this is a dig, just trying to be informative. maybe you stick with what you have, maybe you start over. i start over every year or two, just to keep things interesting.

    you want the front wave from the sub to combine coherently (constructive interference) with the rear wave after it travels through the port. for that to happen you need both pathlengths to be free from obstruction and to make sense at the measurement location. hell, you can calc each path fairly easy. then you can determine what frequencies will constructively add and what frequencies will destructively cancel.

    the purpose of the obscene amount of expanding foam is to minimize leaks into the trunk. SPL requires controlling (and minimizing/eliminating) leaks in the cabin. doing so is quite the chore as the entire cabin is leaky (doors, door seals, firewall penetraions, A/C, speakers, etc.)

    What we can't clearly see is the path for sound from the woofer cone. it seems to be buried under the rear deck. you're losing substantial output by not having the front of the woofer cone firing clearly into the cabin, and having it sealed around that. when people do what you are trying to do - they remove a portion (or most) of the rear deck. that is 100x more difficult now that you've foamed the box in place. regardless, you want to open that back up. by removing the rear deck panel and carefully removing the metal above the sub, then building up around the sub (MDF blocks) and then sealing that, then recovering the rear deck (after stiffening the hell out of it) you should be ok. note that removing the rear glass will make this process MUCH easier.

    you also want the ability to remove a sub at will without destroying the box in the process. i'm not sure how you do that with your current configuration. opening up the rear deck will let you do that. your biggest challenge is doing all of this without damaging the sub it the process.

    if it were me: the entire rear seat/deck would be gone, trunk lid torsion bars gone, new bracing welded in for vehicle safety, strength, and stability, the upholstry would be out, the new enclosure would be glassed to the vehicle (no foam), all remaining panels would be stiffened, new coverings would be added (to match factory upholstry without being soft cushions), and you would clearly see both the woofer cone and ports at the same time from anywhere in the cabin. a fake seat cover could be made out of expanded metal covered in a thin open-wave fabric if you wanted the illusion of a factory-ish vehicle. further, the distance from cone to mic and port to mic (plus port travel) would coordinate with my anticipated/calculated/modeled SPL peak. not saying that is the right thing to do, that's just what i would do.

    my $.02 based on the limited amount of information i have been able to view in a few minutes.
    IIRC the woofers cone is just under my passenger rear deck speakers (I've removed my rear fill speakers) if it is theres still a path to the trunk, but if its not then its still sealed, I'll look into some of the ideas for solutions, if anything right now I'll keep the box I have now and try and work a solution with what I have, as you said @keep_hope_alive I had my previous system for a little over a year and wanted a change.



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  7. #201
    murph's Avatar
    murph is offline Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Blow through where the rear deck is would really do this wonders. If not already done, I would cut any carpeting that would have been where your rear speakers were to get the best results you can.



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Eclipse Xa5000
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  8. #202
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    i figured you had the rear speakers removed, but you are losing output to the trunk without the seal around the woofer as well. you know the next step. have fun!



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  9. #203
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    Blow through where the rear deck is would really do this wonders. If not already done, I would cut any carpeting that would have been where your rear speakers were to get the best results you can.
    If what you mean by the carpet where the speakers would be, there is only a plastic grill covering the area that's removable.
    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    i figured you had the rear speakers removed, but you are losing output to the trunk without the seal around the woofer as well. you know the next step. have fun!
    (Doing the least amount of welding/sheet metal cutting) would you suggest I do a foam seal from the sub back? (moving the seal past the subwoofer)



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  10. #204
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    So far, does it sound okay? to me it sounded good, its not like its 100% perfect quality due to being my cellphone.



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  11. #205
    murph's Avatar
    murph is offline Low for Life



    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Richmond,VA
    Posts
    3,910
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    89 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Quote Originally Posted by vISUALHype View Post
    So far, does it sound okay? to me it sounded good, its not like its 100% perfect quality due to being my cellphone.
    It sounds great but as said if utilized properly the sub and future subs will really wang.



    Hu: kenwood kdc-x995
    Sub: Boston acoustics G5 12 in a quasi 6th order
    Amp: Eclipse Xa5000
    Front Speakers: Eclipse sc6500
    HIT UP FOR BASS ---> http://www.youtube.com/user/BassWithMurph?feature=mhee

  12. #206
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Quote Originally Posted by murph View Post
    It sounds great but as said if utilized properly the sub and future subs will really wang.
    Right on, I'm just not wanting to get rid of the rear fill sheet metal (under the window) so if moving the seal further up(past the speaker openings) will work then I'd ideally like to do that.



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  13. #207
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    i don't like/don't use expanding foam. too messy. you don't want it anywhere near you sub. if that gets on the surround the sub will be a goner.

    short answer - yes, if you seal around the entire top of the box to the rear deck, it should help. but you do want to open up the pathway through the rear deck.

    just remove the factory cover, remove metal, seal around sub/opening, cover with expanded metal, cover with matching open-weave carpet, done.



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

  14. #208
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    i don't like/don't use expanding foam. too messy. you don't want it anywhere near you sub. if that gets on the surround the sub will be a goner.

    short answer - yes, if you seal around the entire top of the box to the rear deck, it should help. but you do want to open up the pathway through the rear deck.

    just remove the factory cover, remove metal, seal around sub/opening, cover with expanded metal, cover with matching open-weave carpet, done.
    Will do! I'll play around some more and see what I can do, thanks!



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  15. #209
    VisceralSound's Avatar
    VisceralSound is offline CarAudio.com Elite

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Rochester, MN
    Posts
    1,602
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    @keep_hope_alive
    On page 13 what do you think of both videos I linked for sound wise? (minus the current issue)



    References: BigSix,

    This industry is about innovation and setting your own path

  16. #210
    keep_hope_alive's Avatar
    keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Quad Cities, IL
    Posts
    5,813
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    28
    Mentioned
    155 Post(s)

    Re: Skar audio VVX15 8cft box buildness

    cannot view videos at work (yes, i dropped in to scan a few drawings, started surfing, need to go home).

    unless you used a calibrated measurement mic instead of a camera mic, i'm not sure what the videos will tell me...



    have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html]
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html
    *1998 Astro Van Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/567468-kha-does-spl-build-1996-astro-van.html

Closed Thread
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Skar audio vvx-15 subwoofer box build
    By 321slapinbass in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-08-2012, 07:12 PM
  2. (2) 12" SKAR Audio VVX-12D2 Box Build Help...
    By NissanKicker in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
  3. PV Audio's Carpeting/Box Build Technique Tutorial *56k on hiatus*
    By PV Audio in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 12-16-2009, 09:20 PM
  4. 15" Beyond Audio Inhuman Box Build
    By PhatTonyDeMarco in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-09-2005, 07:28 PM
  5. Box Building 2 15" Diamond Audio CM3s
    By colt325e in forum Enclosure Design & Construction Help
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-26-2005, 02:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts

1e2 Forum