Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 2012 WRX Audio Planning Phase

gunz4me2 is offline Bat Country

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

2012 WRX Audio Planning Phase

I don't know why I am torturing myself with an audio pre-planning build log, as today is the only day I had more than a few hours of free time since the tax return influx began at my part-time CPA firm. But anyhow, I guess I will state my plans. I am planning on purchasing a Double DIN HU of some sort and a Mosconi DSP 6to8 for my processor.

I already own some Soundstream Reference RF3.6C component speakers with a smaller Eclipse tweeter. My plan is to mount the tweeter in the stock location and the mid in the pillar:

I also have some a pillars out of a crashed Impreza:

and here is a closeup of the mid and a pillar:

For amplifiers, I'll probably power the mid and tweet with a Lunar L450 and my midbass drivers with a Lunar L100x2 or L2125. For subs, I plan on using some of those credence clearence subs fired through the pass through with an old school servo drive and either an Orion 275SX or a 280GX. The servo drive will allow me to place each 10 in .36 cubic feet net sealed and have them perform as if they are in the proper sized ported enclosure. Think of it as a Linkwitz transform circuit that goes one step further by applying negative feedback to the input stage of the amplifier while it is compensating for the less than ideal enclosure.

If that doesn't work to my liking, I also have a Digital Designs 1508 and a Digital Designs 510 that I can use instead along with a Lunar L2200 that I can bridge to them. Regardless, I like my Louisiana manufactured amplifiers and will do whatever I can to stick with them!

My goal is to make the subwoofer somewhat easy to remove since I use the pass through about 4 times a year to bring things home. I may just start borrowing a friend's truck, lol. Although time is short right now, at least I can refer back to my photos and keep my eye on the goal to make it past April 15th so I can start building my audio setup. While making the money is a pain, spending it will be fun!

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Re: 2012 WRX Audio Planning Phase

I like the servo drive idea.

Are the mids open back or closed?

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Oh well, change of plans.. Soundstream comps sold, Genesis Profile 16s required too much work, so JL Audio Evolution C5-650 it is:

Looking for a tweeter that fits the factory sails?

The C5s were a better choice for easy installation in the factory sails because it is like the tweeter was made for this location:

A little of Don @ sound deadener showdown's CCF applied to the back to form a wedgie:

All ready to go:

All I need is TIME to finish the install! I worked all weekend, spent all afternoon in an attorney's office, and was due in court tomorrow, but neither the plaintiff nor the defendant's attorneys want me on the stand, lol. Gotta love the justice system!

I used to swear by old school car audio gear, now I swear at it!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Doh, forgot to mention the rest of the system... Alpine PDX V9, Pioneer DEH-80PRS, and a Digital Designs 1508. Now let's hope I don't turn into LACRX and not finish the build, lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Well, isn't this about a bummer, I finished my temporary build Sunday evening at around 7 PM, and today, I had a RMA for the DEH-80PRS before 5 PM. I hate the HU THAT BAD!

Here it is after being finished:

Here is the hirose connector after putting some non-conductive epoxy on the pins:

Missing is the photo where I used heat shrink just to be double sure!

I ended up making some birch baffles to fit the C5-650 woofer:

I didn't get a pic, but I wrapped the stock connector in painter's tape and used a piece of deadener to hold it to the door. It doesn't rattle that way and technically I should be able to pull the deadener, unwrap the painter's tape, to return the car to stock. Also I used some SDS butyl rope between the baffle and the steel.

This is what I did to the door card:

Butyl rope on the mystical white box and a little deadening for grins.

Unfortunately, I was low on deadener, so I didn't get a chance to do the doors yet..

Amp under the seat:

HU in the dash kit:

A shot of how I fired the woofer into the rear seatback:

I made a bonehead mistake while tightening down the hurricane nut inserts hence the reason for the ring. I cracked the baffle bad because I forgot to take the rechargable driver out of drill mode and dial in a torque value.

If I end up pushing on, a custom ported corner loaded FG enclosure is in the near future. November is a slow month for me, so I will tackle it then.
    Last edited by gunz4me2; 10-03-2012 at 01:57 AM.

Closed Thread