The past few months I have been collecting some old school (1996) alpine amps to replace the xtant amps. my reasons are several, but the overall reason was for more crossover control without moving to external processors... and i wanted to play with these amps.
I collected these three but will get another soon. All used but in working condition and decent cosmetic condition (complete with all screws, etc).
Alpine MRV-F405 (4ch)
Alpine MRV-F505 (4ch)
Alpine MRV-1005 (2ch to be replaced with a MRV-1505)
the two four channel amps will be configured to run the front stage. they offer bandpass crossovers on each channel with a x20 switch to allow full active capability (in 1996!)
I have cleaned the F505 since this picture was taken. The F505 is the roughest of the bunch but was the hardest to find.
so i removed everything from the trunk, pulled out the carpet, and began re-doing the wiring. for now, the head unit powers the doors and tweeters for some music in the interim.
all speaker wire is being replaced, 8 channels. 4 left and 4 right. two to the dash for a tweeter and 2" mid. one to the kicks and one to the door. i may only run6 at a time, but will have control of that back at the amps. commercial grade speaker wire with a heavy duty jacket is being used.
RCA's are nicer Monster Cable. a 4-ch and a 2-ch.
the two four channels are going on the driver's side. that way i can easily switch channels around as i see fit. the sub amp will be on the passenger side which gives options for amp size.
power and ground distribution remains as-is. it was already what i needed.
ultracapacitors are now on the driver's side. i removed the old amp mount and made a new one. this one is further recessed into the side. my goal is to gain more width to fit my rifle cases. sadly, the last configuration was too narrow for them.
my previous panels were 3/4" MDF. while sturdy they were very heavy. new panels are 3/4" birch ply.
all mounts for amps and amp boards are with machine screws (8-32 for amps and 10-24 for panels). threaded inserts are used instead of t-nuts this time for a few reasons.
i started with a frame for the ultra caps that also acts as a mount for the lower amp. the frame is 2x4's on the top and bottom with 3/4" birch on the sides. 1/4" treated ply for a backing and bottom strip. the frame was ripped down to 2-3/4" wide to match the caps.
the F505 goes on the bottom because it won't fit on the top. extra work had to be done to make sure the amp heat sinks were clear. fans will be used on the heat sinks.
the F405 will go above.