Closed Thread

Reload Thread: 1998 Grand Prix GTP

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

1998 Grand Prix GTP

Well, its been a few years since I have had an aftermarket stereo in any of my cars. Oh, a good 10 years or so. I came from a Cadillac Seville STS, which had a pretty good factory stereo, so I didnt have a need. Then bought this GTP and gave the cadi to the wife, and this factory stereo is HORRID!! I havnt heard such an ill sounding system in ages.

Long story short, decided to put something in the GTP to replace it. I didnt have a large budget, roughly 600.00 total. So went to work doing some research, and a few people I respect had pointed out the Aura's that were on factory buyout at PE. So I snagged up a set of 5.25 components for the front doors, and a set of 6x9's for the rear deck. I also scored an Eclipse CD7200 MKII. I already had an MB Quart DWG 254 DVC 10" sub, and a MB Quart PAB 5400 5 channel amp to power everything with.

I ordered a standard 10 inch sub box, but then decided that if I could build one myself I could probably retain a little more trunk space. (very important since we have a 4 month old daughter, and a stroller takes up quite a bit of space!)

I just happened to have a full sheet of 3/4 inch plywood here, so started hacking away on a box. below are the pictures of the box before and after carpet, and the amp rack that I made and also carpeted last night.

---------- Post added at 01:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 PM ----------

I have to run the amp upside down, so that i can get to the crossover to. Thats OK though, doesnt bother me much. Here are the pics:

rodneypierce is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1998 Grand Prix GTP

Tonight Im going to make a small filler piece to go between the end of the box, and the tail of the trunk. I need that accessible to be able to replace bulbs in the tails. So we will see how that turns out. I just dont like that big void there, and think it would look much better with a nice filler piece there.

pro-rabbit is offline Moderator pro-rabbit is a Supporting Member of the forum!

pro-rabbit is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    373 Post(s)

Nice and simple. I like it.

Was there not enough room to recess the amp a little to try and flush it out?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Honestly pro, I never even thought about it. But I dont think there would be. The wheel well is right behind the amp there. I might have been able to gain an inch or so. I have some end caps that go on the amp, so it wont be open and visible like that. But I still might take a gander at that tonight. Now you have me thinking.

wenn_du_weinst is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)

those cars have a ton of gain for such a ****** opening. I always liked those cars. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up buying a red 2door

I am protesting Skar by giving them added exposure in my signature.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wenn_du_weinst View Post
    those cars have a ton of gain for such a ****** opening. I always liked those cars. I wouldn't be surprised if I ended up buying a red 2door
    I love the GTP's. I had a regal GS before the cadi, and loved it as well. But I instantly fell in love with this car after I test drove it. Something about them. Nice rides, and run forever if taken care of!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by pro-rabbit View Post
    Nice and simple. I like it.

Was there not enough room to recess the amp a little to try and flush it out?
    Looked at this tonight, and there is not enough room back there. As well as the amp is right at the end of the board, so trying to flush mount it would just be awkward. Thanks for putting the thought in my head though, it was worth a look!!

I also decided not to make a filler panel for the end of the box. Its fine how it is.

I did get the Aura 6x9's and Components installed tonight though. They sound EXCELLENT! Even just being run off the stock HU, what a difference in sound quality they are!!

Will be easy to just switch out the wires on the front crossover's, and rear 6x9's when the CD7200 arrives. Then I cant wait to hear it! Should sound noticeably better feeding them the power that they want. They have pretty decent mid bass right now, so with another 30 watts or so (at least) they should sound even better.

I will keep everyone posted here as I move forward.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright. Tonight I had planned to install all of the cables and power wire, etc. But the new dash showed up today, so i talked myself into that nightmare. What a PITA. I just now got done putting it all back together. I look like I got in a serious fight with a mountain lion. LOL. My arms and hands are cut to ****. (And no, this isnt my first dash removal, but by far the biggest PITA yet)

saturday I plan to get the wires and cable all ran, then its just waiting for the CD7200 to show up, and I will get it rocking!
    Last edited by rodneypierce; 02-10-2012 at 08:05 AM.

Closed Thread