hi all! I just started an account today so that I could try and document my attempt at quieting down my Del Sol. His name is Carlos... Carlos the Del Sol.
OK, so this is going to be very similar to Krisfnbz's thread from back in 2006, but hopefully I will have the pleasure of finishing it! Also, I would like to thank Don from www.sounddeadenershowdown.com (SDS for short?) for helping me with my order! This has been a LONG time coming, and I am super excited to finally get it going.
A few things to know:
- I bought the car a while ago and left if bone stock. Also, I have a stock HU, with stock speakers. Once I get the car quieted down a little, these will be upgraded.
- I also have all the materials thus far, and have used Don's stuff from SDS. The only thing I don't have of his is I used a different MLV that i got on the cheap. Don't worry though, its still 1lb/ft^2.
- I have about 4 days to finish this, so hopefully if I have a question, someone can post on here to help me out.
- I like to take pictures! Hopefully there will be lots of them in this thread.
- Finally, I am a numbers man so I did some preliminary testing to see what the before and after results might actually look like.
OK. So just today, I went out for a drive that I make regularly to record the noise levels before doing all the work. I used an app on my phone to measure the noise level in the cabin of my car. I know this is far from accurate, but I just want to see some comparison numbers for the hell of it. All numbers were recorded by a passenger in my car with the readings being taken from near the center of the cabin.
Here are the results:
00mph: 47-48 dB at cold idle
35mph: 68-70 dB on regular road
35mph: 65-66 dB on new pavement
40mph: 72-73 db on regular road
55mph: 76-79 dB on regular road
65mph: 71-74 dB on new pavement
65mph: 78-80 dB on rough road
Note: all roads were somewhat wet, though it was not raining. Just an FYI
Here is the car as of Dec 28th:
Here is the basic overview of the materials I will be using:
CLD tiles, HH-66 vinyl cement, some double sided sticky velcro, butyl rope (super handy!), along with some MVL shown below
The CCF and the MLV laying out to flatten a bit. I think this might help make it easier to work with a little bit.
1/8th inch, 1lb/ft^2:
1/8th inch CCF:
the MLV and some 1/4 inch CCF for the footwells:
The interior of the car with no seats, but before the teardown
I pay my friends with cookies!
I hope this thread is of use to someone!