Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 Legacy GT Teardown and Rebuild

jeeper07 is offline Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

05 Legacy GT Teardown and Rebuild

First i have to rebuild the car, then i will begin on a full audio build. Im hoping to start audio by the beginning of November after my funds come back up a bit.
    Car: I bought the car on 7/9/2011, the motor blew up on the way home from virginia to indiana on 7/10/2011. Needless to say i was pissed, depressed and didnt know what i was gonna do. Couple days passed and i got my head on straight took it to a local dealership with a price quote at $10,200 to replace turbo, shortblock and other stuff. The car is a Red 2005 Legacy GT with 58k miles manual transmission.

Me: Im new to subarus and turbos but not to cars. I have a pretty decent background on working on cars and modifying them (suspension, exhaust, audio, brakes,etc)

Plan:
    400+ whp
    Minor cosmetic mods
    Coilovers
    Full Audio System
    and much more.

Parts List:
    Final Mod List to Date:
    ENGINE:
    2011 sti short block -forged internals w CP pistons
    Fast Motorsports FMIC
    South Bend stage 2 HD Daily clutch
    Deatschwerks Side Feed 1100cc injectors
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    CNT catless Down Pipe
    GT Spec UEL Headers and Uppipe, wrapped
    killerb oil pick up
    Sti oil pump
    Gates racing timing Belt
    killerb pick up
    1 step colder plugs
    AEM wide band
    tgv deletes
    SS oil lines
    perrin 22mm rsb
    ARP Head studs
    Perrin 3 inch inlet
    Perrin intake
    Grimmspeed BCS
    Manley SS Valves
    AutoSpeed Catback
    Blouch 2.5xtr

Other:
    Whiteline RSB
    Avo RSB mounts
    Kart Boy endlinks
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Yellow Fogs

With thhe help of brum tonite we got the a good chunk of the hard part done, **** tubing is a pita. im hoping to have the motor out sometime this weekend or next week and have it looked at to see what all im going to have to replace or if i just basically have to start new. At the end of this im gona make a picture walkthrough of pulling our engines and putting them back in since i didnt find one in a quick search. Enough talk heres some pictures.

Only mods now is autospeed cat back.

time to get this motor out

how we left it for tonite.

More to come.

This was a dealer sale, he said he was going to try to help me but i doubt it cause he knows im 800 miles away and cant stop by and ***** at him every day. im hoping i can rebuild what i have with forged internals, if not ill start the hunt for a short block that can handle some power. Planning on new turbo, fmic, 1000 injectors, e85 tune, up,dp,and more.

Picked these up today, now we can really get that thing out.

what have we here, or i guess what dont we have here.

Got it on the engine stand and started tearing it down.

i will do everything that i can with the money i have, first is getting it running with good power, second is making it look pretty. Speaking of pretty, what a nice collection of metal i found in the oil pan. Yes that is a sheered bolt.

Last edited by jeeper07; 08-15-2011 at 01:25 AM.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 Legacy GT Teardown and Rebuild

heres a teaser pic of what arrived today

Well i still havent unwrapped the new shortblock cause i have no real reason to yet, however i did get one of the heads off the old block, i took off the one that was on the side the rod disconnected... look what i found upon removal, idk if or how ill be able to get all the shrapnel out to see how bad the cylinder walls are in this block.

Finally have some updates and things going on the car which is a nice change.
    South Bend Stage 2 HD Clutch and 1100cc injectors sitting ontop of my new CNT catless DP.

This thing is a monster i was not prepared for it to be so big (thats what she said)

Heres the intercooler ready for install tomorrow..

And very sadly this is the only thing ive put on the car since i bought it (oem floor mats since it had none upon purchase)

Today i also got my Fast Motorsports FMIC mounted, took a little massaging but its on and im very happy with the quality of it thus far.

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Once i find out if the dealer is going to do what he said he was and give me some money back for this i will disclose his name/ business with a review.

heres some pics of more things ive gotten in

Got the Kartboy Short Shifter installed in like 20 mins which was nice. Also got the fuel pump ready to put back in once the proper o rings come. Did some trimming on the cubby mount to make it fit properly and got the old motor stripped the rest of the way so im ready to take everything to the machine shop once my freaking head studs come in. heres some pictures of the new short block, and the hilarious parts that came out of the old one.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Met up with a local guy today and ended up getting a Blouch 2.5xtr, 3 inch Perrin inlet, and a Perrin intake. Im not sure the Perrin intake will work on my car (from an STi iirc) but for the price i thought id take a chance and see. This completes my buying of parts minus fluids or gaskets and small stuff like that.

I made it to the machine shop today as i got in my new manley valves and crank pulley so i had to drop them off. Walked in just as they had finished glass blasting the heads, had 6 bent valves in them btw. I also got my FMIC piping back in which Josh and Import Image got done in wrinkle black for me, ive only taken one out so far but it looks awesome compared to the original chrome/polished finish. Enough blabbering

Ran the piping from the front mount into the engine bay and got the bumper trimmed to fit around the FMIC. Took about 10 tries of cut, fit, cut, fit, but it finally went on. I eventually plan on cutting out the lower center support of the bumper and glassing it so that its a nice big opening for the intercooler.

Final Mod List to Date:
    ENGINE:
    2011 sti short block -forged internals w CP pistons
    Fast Motorsports FMIC
    South Bend stage 2 HD Daily clutch
    Deatschwerks Side Feed 1100cc injectors
    Walbro 255lph fuel pump
    CNT catless Down Pipe
    GT Spec UEL Headers and Uppipe, wrapped
    killerb oil pick up
    Sti oil pump
    Gates racing timing Belt
    killerb pick up
    1 step colder plugs
    AEM wide band
    tgv deletes
    SS oil lines
    perrin 22mm rsb
    ARP Head studs
    Perrin 3 inch inlet
    Perrin intake
    Grimmspeed BCS
    Manley SS Valves
    AutoSpeed Catback
    Blouch 2.5xtr

Other:
    Whiteline RSB
    Avo RSB mounts
    Kart Boy endlinks
    Kartboy Short Shifter
    Yellow Fogs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Save.

martiandancer31 is offline Front Towards Enemy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

i dearly hope that I never find any "shrapnel" inside my cylinders. Good luck with this man, i'm in.

KyleBechtold is offline Buy my fuses $1.25ea

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

good job so far.. Idk what I would have done.. The feeling of getting a new car and driving it home.. I can only relate it to me getting my truck and having it only two months and then having it hail racket balls here and be able to do nothing but watch.. I had insurance though..

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711
    Everyone I have Bought from has been awesome.. feel safe with any of them..

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing
    -b15spec, 727kid, pshull727, Nt_Hardcore

Want/Need ANL fuses cheap 150a 200a 250a 300a
    CLICK ME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hopefully drop the motor in on wednesday. It was a pretty ****** feeling ill tell u that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper07 View Post
    Hopefully drop the motor in on wednesday. It was a pretty ****** feeling ill tell u that.
    without knowing these cars that well, any idea what caused it? no/low oil? maybe someone ran it HARD!! then returned it to stock? anything in the bay seem like it wasn't stock or like it was modified at one point?

Ca.com

Bought from: Sctattooer, Korn4Life, wgsj_fortvalley, bk12321, Queball, bumpincrv, Splmaster, 310w6, Buck, liljojo4711

Sold To: Iakona, dustinr, squeak12, Worstenemy453, BeAlLsTaR13, rmzsuzuki89, c_b_, mendon mafia, dropped_tb, SPLluminator, violence., power-fanatic07, schackel, michaellane, aviator08, kodak314, dropped_tb
    Ref Link
    Tamparacing

CLICK ME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

low oil, spun bearing, rod knock, kaboom. Thing must have been eating oil like crazy cause i checked it before i left and less than 700 fairly easy miles later it was off the dip stick. I know it had an aftermarket intake and down pipe but was put back to stock and had the clutch replaced already and the cars only at 58k. All things i never would have known about until i took the car apart.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper07 View Post
    low oil, spun bearing, rod knock, kaboom. Thing must have been eating oil like crazy cause i checked it before i left and less than 700 fairly easy miles later it was off the dip stick. I know it had an aftermarket intake and down pipe but was put back to stock and had the clutch replaced already and the cars only at 58k. All things i never would have known about until i took the car apart.
    Did you check for oil leaks before you bought it? checked where it was sitting etc? Cause if the dealer knew he coulda just kept filling it every so often but the pavement won't lie.. Sucks either way.. luckily seems you had enough finances in place to fix it and fix it better than it was

Ca.com

Ref Link
    Tamparacing

CLICK ME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yea i dont think it was leaking oil... i checked under the car before purchase granted it could have been moved or what ever but i think i found the majority of the oil throughout the TMIC, up, dp, cats, etc etc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

ah gotcha.. Those are nice looking cars either way.. I was looking at some black or pearl white ones.. MMM!

Ca.com

Ref Link
    Tamparacing

CLICK ME

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Both are beautiful in person.

collin.k is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

so is it/how long will it take to be up and running again

2 12" premier champion series pro
    hfi 2000d
    big3
    kny 0ga all throughout
    atomic ma65cx
    kenwood 4 channel