Reload Thread: martian's 2001 buick build log

martiandancer31 is offline Front Towards Enemy

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Re: martian's 2001 buick build log

Quote Originally Posted by falcons03079313 View Post
    hey man i live an hour away from you so if you are ever in the albion area, (west of you) message me on here and i'd love to see the completed build! great job
    thanks!! I probably will be at some point, i'll let you know.

Falcons is offline that **** i dont like

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

alright sounds good. i like seeing all out, non half assed builds cause im to poor to do them lol

Things to look forward to:
    (2) 10" or 12" imperium audio designs subs
    set of PHD MF 6.5" comps
    Completely seal off and deaden my doors
    aquire a 2k amp
    aquire a 2 channel amp for front stage

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by falcons03079313 View Post
    alright sounds good. i like seeing all out, non half assed builds cause im to poor to do them lol
    ha. i know the feeling

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

i forgot what it looks like with carpeting

up on the docket this week is finishing up the back deck (it's gonna get glassed to smithereens before i'm satisfied) and HOPEFULLY starting work on the sub stage!!

silveradokid is offline The Hope that lies WITHIN

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by martiandancer31 View Post

You gonna use glass at all or wood for everything?
    I'm going to use wood, I think it will be cheaper/easier. I've never worked with glass either. I also think that glass would only allow me to get a small increase is cuft. maybe .2-.4 which wouldn't be to much. And I'm going with the 12's I think because I don't have any design plans for ported tens, nor do I know how to do that. Anyways, car seems to be coming along! It looks clean!!

"Take Your Flame, and IGNITE the world"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silveradokid View Post
    I'm going to use wood, I think it will be cheaper/easier. I've never worked with glass either. I also think that glass would only allow me to get a small increase is cuft. maybe .2-.4 which wouldn't be to much. And I'm going with the 12's I think because I don't have any design plans for ported tens, nor do I know how to do that. Anyways, car seems to be coming along! It looks clean!!
    ah, understandable. glass is a huge mess anyways - i keep having bits of that stuff attached to me for days and everyone at work is like wtf man?? lol. And thanks!! Now that I've got a lot of those wires organized and hidden everything really does look a lot better. Starting to give me glimpses of what it'll look like if I ever finish. Unfortunately i'm running into money problems ATM so stuff is slowing down. But it'll get there one way or the other!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah I feel ya there, I don't have enough money to order the subs, I probably won't order them till wednseday or so. Which means I'll be back at school when they come, so I won't have them installed for another 2-3 weeks, so the plan is, is to get the box built, and have everything done so that when I do get the subs all I have to do is put them in the box and throw the box in the truck.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Yeah I feel ya there, I don't have enough money to order the subs, I probably won't order them till wednseday or so. Which means I'll be back at school when they come, so I won't have them installed for another 2-3 weeks, so the plan is, is to get the box built, and have everything done so that when I do get the subs all I have to do is put them in the box and throw the box in the truck.

yup, school is creeping up on me real fast. In reality though i'll probably have more time to work on it then because I won't be at my job anymore ( i don't think). I've actually decided to build more of my box out of MDF than I originally intended to save money, although certain portions of it will have to be glass to conform to the contours of my trunk so I don't have much of a choice there.

I was dumb and bought the subs first - now i don't have more critical stuff like deadening, resin/mat, etc, and I need to move stuff around to afford that lol. And no one will buy my LMs <-----sad face

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Lol I'd say the subs are more critical because you'll have no bass without them. With less deadener you just have a bit more rattles which aren't too big a deal. Now I had no deadener in my car before when I had the kickers, and it didn't sound bad, it actually sounded good. So hopefully now with some deadener in my truck it will sound better. But still, you have more deadener in your car, and you already have the subs which is good

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Lol I'd say the subs are more critical because you'll have no bass without them. With less deadener you just have a bit more rattles which aren't too big a deal. Now I had no deadener in my car before when I had the kickers, and it didn't sound bad, it actually sounded good. So hopefully now with some deadener in my truck it will sound better. But still, you have more deadener in your car, and you already have the subs which is good
    it should definitely sound better with the deadener. I was even going to deaden the space below my sub box but maybe i'll cheap out and just throw some foam down there or something.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

the back deck is basically done (just needs some sanding and such) and i've got the from baffle of the "box" almost to size. Pics tomorrow, hopefully.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

back deck and speakers being test fitted:

the right side woofer clears the bars in my trunk by 1/4" or so.

Next will be figuring out the front baffle of the box. Thus far I have 2 of 3 panels cut (it's going to be 3 3/4" pieces of MDF thick), and when the last one gets cut I need to figure out how i'm going to fit 2 fifteens and a crapload of port area on there. Sketches from Autodesk soon to follow, hopefully

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

well it's not that I haven't been busy here, it's just that it's nothing all that great to take pictures of and I keep running out of daylight....

anyways, here's where I am: Back deck is done and mounted. Right now I have a temporary setup with the back deck and my old sub box with one of my ti 15's in there on a 1000 watt amp it's sadly inadequate, although it sounds decent. I've started working on the "wall" that will divide the trunk off from the rest of the car. It's done form-wise but I need to cut holes in it, mount t-nuts, and pL/glass it into the car.

hopefully tomorrow i'll get holes cut in it for subs n such and get t-nuts mounted. I'm not sure if I want to glue the panels together yet, i've got to think about that. In all likelyhood I will do that tomorrow tho. Saturday i'm gonna be out of town but hopefully much more to come on sunday assuming it's nice out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

front baffle:

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

don't worry, i've been busy. Bustin' my friggin tail, actually.

Front baffle finally got done, test fitting the woofers: (good thing too because I needed to sand a tiny bit off to get a better fit with the gasket)

PL Premium'd into the trunk (don't worry, it'll be surrounded with glass and such later)

deadening trunk for no reason whatsoever:

will it clear the trunk floor? please? please?

don't worry, i kinda sorted planned for something like this. Lined up like it will be when screwed in (with some assistance from my brother)

That's about all the work. Batteries are going in the little "cubbies" on the sides of the trunk - it's a pretty good fit. Here:

later on i will be glassing the sides of the box to the contours of the sides of the trunk:

awesome. I'm starting to get excited about this now. I'm a little bit worried that I didn't leave quite enough clearance between the front baffle and the back seat - after all, the eclipse TI's can move about 2" in both directions!! Tomorrow i might mount one and try it out, we'll see if i'm feeling it.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast