Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

i2ain2thunder is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

Quote Originally Posted by silveradokid View Post
    I helped my friend install deadener in his trunk. He has two 12" solo baric L7's in a ported box, we had 3 layers in his trunk and it did absolutely nothing, or close to nothing. I think that with the amount of bass his car puts out it would be hard to stop things from shaking or vibrating. Is is just me or do the kickers have terrible sound quality? I couldn't make out any bass notes, just ridiculous bass that was very hard to even hear the different tones of bass in the music.
    To me yeah kicker is redickulous loud but not much SQ, again they aren't exactly SQ subs though neither are type Rs, I love my Type Rs they are loud as crap and pretty clear...but they are by no means an SQ sub. Mine sound good and all for what they are but if you're looking for sound quality look elsewhere the type Rs just aren't built for it, they do get loud and play the LOOOOWs though I only put 60mil Fatmat in my car, made a big difference to me....but then again I put 100sq ft in there and caked the entire trunk/rear deck/doors in it. One piece of advice would be to really press that Fatmat in hard against the surface. Otherwise it will get loose,slip,slide on hot dayz.

silveradokid is offline The Hope that lies WITHIN

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by i2ain2thunder View Post
    To me yeah kicker is redickulous loud but not much SQ, again they aren't exactly SQ subs though neither are type Rs, I love my Type Rs they are loud as crap and pretty clear...but they are by no means an SQ sub. Mine sound good and all for what they are but if you're looking for sound quality look elsewhere the type Rs just aren't built for it, they do get loud and play the LOOOOWs though I only put 60mil Fatmat in my car, made a big difference to me....but then again I put 100sq ft in there and caked the entire trunk/rear deck/doors in it. One piece of advice would be to really press that Fatmat in hard against the surface. Otherwise it will get loose,slip,slide on hot dayz.
    Yeah I had CVR's before they weren't too bad, I'm not looking for really good sq because I like to here the lows and like it when it gets very loud. From the reviews I read, the type r's have better sq than the cvr's and I was pleased with the cvr's sq so I think I'll like the type r's. I was just stating the solo barics sound like crap, the ones I listened to had no sq what soever, it sounded like a constant stream of bass, just got louder at some points.

"Take Your Flame, and IGNITE the world"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah the Type Rs def sound better than a cvr or L7 to me too. I think the new accordion style surrounds on them too help keep the sound waves stiffer....if I'm explaining that right,someone please chime in if it does something else....

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I made some good progress today, got two doors done now. The lower left corner is awaiting some sheet metal to be cut before I finish that. I will not be closing up the large whole because I don't want to have to take off deadener if the actuater went out. All I need to do is put the speaker and baffle in then finito! I will probably come back and put some more deadener on the doors once I've finished every door. I just didn't want to run out and not be able to finish all the doors and rear wall.

I also made some good progress on the driver side door today, I just don't have pictures. It looks a lot better than the passenger door, but I will be cleaning up the passenger door and making it more shiny with some more fatmat!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

And thunder, I made sure I had all the surfaces very clean before applying the fatmat, I also pressed down very hard, my thumbs and fingers are sore from pushing so hard all day!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Took me like 8 hours to do my car no joke....I feel your pain. It looks like you did a really good job!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I made a lot of progress today, finished all the doors, and still have about 10sqft left of the fatmat. I will work on putting two layers on certain parts of the doors since I have the extra fatmat tomorrow, I will also work on cleaning up all the wires, getting them ready for the amp rack installation. I'm working on getting a pdx 1.1000 this week for the type r's. Once I get that I can mount the amps to the rack and the rack to the truck .

I added a second layer to the back wall and some more to the floor. I didn't take any photos of the doors because I still have to add some more to them and mount the speakers. Should be done by tomorrow night. This build is just very slow as I work a lot and when I have time off I'm usually busy with other stuff, so I get a few hours here and there to work on the car, which is okay since the budget doesn't allow for me to buy everything all at once.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Finally got another pdx, now I have matching amps , so I think that tomorrow I will use up the rest of the fatmat, and get everything on the amp rack so that it will be ready to install in the truck. However this will be a long week with the truck as I'm taking the bed off and will be replacing the fuel pump and possibly painting the frame.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Alright, so here is the finished product of the fatmat, well 96% finished, the stuff I do after this will not be a big deal.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I think after this I'm pretty much done posting pictures of the little progress I made with the fatmat . So I can finally move onto other stuff!! Now the next part of the build will be pretty big, I have to get the amp rack mounted, and the way I will be doing that I'll need to take off the bed. So that's what will happen by the end of this week hopefully. Another thing, as I was reading reviews on some cheap boxes for my truck, I came to the conclusion that it would just be better to build it even though building it would be harder, it would be a better box, so I will be working on getting a cardboard template built this week as well.
    Here are some photos of all the wires cleaned up and ready for the amps to be installed.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

nice work. good job sealing up the rear doors - fatmat on that metal will make a difference.. now to seal up the front doors the same way.

good to see nice wire routing. take your time as you have been, don't rush the end, and you'll be happy.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

dontbeaprix is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Really nice job man. I think you will like those diamond comps. The type -r subs sound awesome man you will love them in your truck. You are deffinetly doing good by building your own box. Ideal if you want the most out of those type-r's you would want 2 cft per sub and run them ported tuned to around 32-34 hz. They do sound pretty good sealed also ,but they come alive ported to those freq and that amount of cubes. You can put 800-1K watts rms to them if its a good clean signal. Are you going to be doing a big 3 upgrade and installing a better battery? If so knuconcepts is a really good place for wiring and kinetic batteries are the bomb for car audio.

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
    *stock audio for now*

dontbeaprix is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silveradokid View Post
    So I just ordered the Diamond audio D151 component speakers for 60bucks brand new. I figured that was a steal. Hopefully they will be here withing a week so that I can finish up the rear speakers.
    Let me know how you like these^^

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
    *stock audio for now*

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks guys! Well eventually I think I'll do the big three upgrade. Right now I don't have much money to spare on 0 gauge wiring even though it wouldn't be too expensive(I'm guessing around 50bucks) I just need to focus on getting the subs done right now. And I wish I had room for a ported enclosure for the type r's, however I often give people rides so the back seat is used a lot and it is not an option to take out, so I have to stay sealed as I can only do about 1.25cuft per sub. I think I'll fill each chamber with polyfill trying to make it a bit louder. And I just got the speakers today, so hopefully I have them wired in by tomorrow , I will let you know what I think.
    And hope, I have sealed up the front doors as much as I can, I cannot seal up that big space because if the actuater goes out the I will just have to take it all off. I'm hoping that when I put the door panel back on it will create somewhat of a seal.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

the door panel won't create much of a seal and the panel will just rattle and move. the actuator shouldn't fail, and if it does you just unscrew the metal panel. trust me, it's worth sealing it up.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/608637-2014-accord-sport-sq-build-keep_hope_alive.html
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast