Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

silveradokid is offline The Hope that lies WITHIN

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

It's been a while, funds are a little short, been waiting on supplies as well. But I got a package today!

It's the fatmat! Now I can continue the build. Today I will work on putting it in the car and try to seal up all the doors.
    I have all the speaker baffles varnished and done, I can install those as soon as I have the fatmat on the doors.

I had started sealing up part of one door using some aluminum tape, have a pretty air tight seal on it.

"Take Your Flame, and IGNITE the world"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have the amp rack cut out, and varnished, I don't think I'll be covering it in carpet since i don't have any and would need to buy some, it also looks nice the way it is and I won't be able to see it as it will be behind the seat. I'm waiting on finding a good deal on a pdx 1.1000 for the type r's before I am able to mount the rack up. But in he meantime hear is what it looks like.

soundsp1975 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice truck...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very nice build. i got the same truck but i have the 6.0L in it. Im upgrading soon to a dmax though. when i do its going to be a full build like this. I never thought people would look for subs in a truck that much.

Are you dead set on Alpines? there are many other subs that will sound better imho

98 Grand Prix GT
    Deck: Pioneer DVH-P5000MP
    Amp: DD M1b
    Sub: 1 DD 2512 @ 33Hz in 2.5 Cubed Ported
    Wiring: DB Link 1/0
    Rear Stage: Cerwin Vega 6x9's
    Rest is stock for now.

Bought from: Goindef154 (head unit), Toofast4u (DD Amp), Blove1991 (KNU wiring)

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm not dead on alpines, from what I've read about them, they have good sq and aren't bad subs. Now I know there is always going to be something better, but I'm on a budget here as I'm a poor college student who barely had the money for the subs that got stolen in the first place, so now I'm going bankrupt haha trying to rebuild this. I don't have more than 150 to spend on one sub, and alpines are about the only ones I have seen for that price besides kickers, kenwood, w3's, sony's and some other brands that aren't so good. And soundsp, thanks!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So after a long day of work, and working on the car this is what I end the night with.

There's not too much on the floor, nor do I plan on putting very much on the floor as it is very thick metal, once I have all the doors done, I will come back to the floor with what I have left. For my first time doing the sound deadener I feel accomplished. I also went and got some sheet metal today, got all the measurements done. My dad will be taking it to work tomorrow to cut everything out with sheers or a cutting table so that I have nice clean cuts. When those get back, I will work on sealing up the holes in the rear door.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Made a little bit of progress today. .

Not very much at all though, is it just me or does it seem like putting the deadener on takes forever? I think I have too many things I'm trying to do at once, like cutting out the stell and getting the speaker baffles in, occasionally dealing with the annoying pooch.
    But I did get one speaker put in and sealed up real tight. It was my first attempt so it didn't turn out as nice as the rest of the speaker baffles will, or at least I hope.

I learned something tonight, to always make sure you have extra space because you can always shorten and cut down but never add on. I made the baffles for the rear speakers a tad small so it was very difficult to get them mounted.

martiandancer31 is offline Front Towards Enemy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

you're right, if you do it correctly, applying the deadener can take awhile. Nice build so far and nice truck.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I made some decent progress today, worked on getting the steel in to seal up the holes, I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Also, after seeing how the speaker I mounted is not mounted very well and I am not pleased with the baffles for the rear speakers, I made new ones
    Now if you notice in the picture of the drivers side rear speaker hole, it is really hacked up from the person who owned the truck before me. So I think my next step is to cut out a steel patch to go over that entire area so that it would be repaired, and I would be able to have a more solid place to mount the speakers to. I will continue putting deadener on, it's taking such a long time because I only have 2-3 hours to work on it each day. I had planned on doing it all day yesterday but ended up installing some speakers and subs in a friends car.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I tested out the rear speakers today, have a little bit more bass just from sealing some parts up and creating an air tight seal between the door and speaker. The unfortunate part for my wallet is, is that they are somewhat blown and just pop when a big bass note hits. Wish I would have never bought kicker speakers, as they do stink. So I need some new speakers for the rear. Anyone have any suggestions? I need a 5.25" speaker under or around $80(that is amazon/ebay prices) and I have a pdx 4.100 which 100rms per channel, obviously I don't have to have it turned up all the way but I would like something that will be able to take some juice, I'm thinking 70+rms, so if anyone has any suggestions please let me know

dontbeaprix is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Image Dynamics CTX-5 (CTX 5) 5.25" 2-Way CTX Coaxial Car Speakers
    Or if you wanted to try some componets back there for that price:Diamond Audio D151 5 1/4" D1 Series Component Speakers System
    Those image dynamics would be very nice though.
    By the way , nice truck!

2001 Pontiac Grand Prix
    *stock audio for now*

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks man, I'll check out those speakers

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Made some progress tonight after work.
    I got a really big strip put inside the door that I'm very happy with how it layed out and how much area it covered.
    Also, 1 door done, 3 more to go

Now it looks pretty sloppy but my main goal with the rear doors was just to seal them up so they were air tight. When I finish the front doors I will go back and add what I have left of the fatmat to the rear doors. When I'm done with the rear doors if I have any left I will put the rest on the wall and floor

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I helped my friend install deadener in his trunk. He has two 12" solo baric L7's in a ported box, we had 3 layers in his trunk and it did absolutely nothing, or close to nothing. I think that with the amount of bass his car puts out it would be hard to stop things from shaking or vibrating. Is is just me or do the kickers have terrible sound quality? I couldn't make out any bass notes, just ridiculous bass that was very hard to even hear the different tones of bass in the music.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So I just ordered the Diamond audio D151 component speakers for 60bucks brand new. I figured that was a steal. Hopefully they will be here withing a week so that I can finish up the rear speakers.

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast