Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

winkychevelle is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)

Re: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

I'd go with the bigger box because of the displacement of the woofer in the box it will take some room. And the r's like to be ported I recommend something like a SSD from fi for a sealed situation just get the high qtc option. Only thing bout that is they aren't selling them right now

2014 Chevrolet Cruze Diesel
    Big sq install on the horizon if money stays good
    2012 Nissan Versa Hatch
    Deadened but stock, girls ride now

Calikid is offline Stack That Paper

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice truck bro, your in OC, CA?

silveradokid is offline The Hope that lies WITHIN

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Calikid View Post
    Nice truck bro, your in OC, CA?
    Ya I'm in CA, and thanks!

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

Parts Express has some automotive carpet for a decent price. that is where i shop for carpet.

i prefer to run my own wiring, that way i minimize resistance through wire gauge and connections. factory wire is usually small with very long runs.

i'm glad you're starting with music - i.e. speakers. be sure to take your time and get good seals around those front speakers.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Some updates...

This is what my truck has looked like the past few days.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Today I got around to cleaning things up and wiring in the speakers
    They had nice little clips that were holding the factory wiring up, so I was able to zip tie my new speaker wire to it

Got my speakers back in hooked up with some good wiring!
    And best part is, my dad came out to see how it was going and decided he wanted to help me!

Got the head unit back in and everything cleaned up...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just waiting for some wiring to come in the mail, along with the fatmat, fuses, and a few do dads. Once the fatmat comes I can put that down and the get the carpet back down and put the stuff back up on the wall. Then I will be able to build my amp rack and stick that in. Once that's done, the subs will be in motion!

ejschultz is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

First of all, this sounds like it's going to be a pretty decent build. I really like my Type R 15 I have in my Jeep. It does a pretty decent job in there off 630 RMS. You'll like them. I actually went from a CVR to the Type R. Mine wasn't stolen though, I blew it.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckintaco93 View Post
    thats why you make them have to work to get it out not a box sitting under the seat!! my box has 12 bolts threw the back wall and 4 threw the floor and the subs have lag bolts holding them in ...so if they break in its not something they can grab real quick ..there is also tamper screws kinda like locking lug nuts you can get to hold the subs in and amps down
    My whole back seat has to come out to get my box out of my Caprice. I've got that ish mounted behind the box where you can't reach it without removing the backseat that wasn't designed to be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by winkychevelle View Post
    I'd go with the bigger box because of the displacement of the woofer in the box it will take some room. And the r's like to be ported I recommend something like a SSD from fi for a sealed situation just get the high qtc option. Only thing bout that is they aren't selling them right now
    They are selling them, they just have a 30+ day build time. I want to say they started taking orders for them again last week sometime. I've been eying a set of those for my car for a while. I think they'd do decently in my sealed box.

94 Caprice Classic LS: DEH-P800PRS, TS-C720PRS, MRV-F545, MRD-M1005, 2 Fi X 12s in 2.5 net cubes sealed; 97 Grand Cherokee TSi: CDA-9855, TS-D1720C, MRV-F345, MRD-M605, SWX-1043D in .54 net cubes sealed

Resident Jeep Expert, Mother Fucker

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had one of these laying around, so I took it apart and soldered it to my headlamp terminals to turn it into and overhead lamp. It is super bright!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by keep_hope_alive View Post
    Parts Express has some automotive carpet for a decent price. that is where i shop for carpet.

i prefer to run my own wiring, that way i minimize resistance through wire gauge and connections. factory wire is usually small with very long runs.

i'm glad you're starting with music - i.e. speakers. be sure to take your time and get good seals around those front speakers.
    What do you mean seals around the front speakers? And Ya i decided I really didn't like driving around listening to the sound of my exhaust(although it sounds awesome, just no beat to it ya know?), so I was first going to make my truck music mobile lol.

keep_hope_alive is offline Acoustics Engineer keep_hope_alive is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    159 Post(s)

notice how the rear speakers are mounted in doors that have lots of holes. it's like listening to a speaker while holding it in your hand. the back wave combines with the front wave - causing cancellation. this is why they lack midbass output and sound distorted in midrange. seals that make the rear cavity air tight are the key to good midbass and clear midrange.

some sheet metal, silicone or foam weatherstripping, and self piercing screws can easily seal up those holes.

i use weatherstripping foam at every speaker. closed cell between speaker and metal. open cell between speaker and factory panel/grill. without closing the holes, you rely on the plastic panel to cancel a back wave.

here is a good build log to get examples of what i'm talking about.
    http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../1#Post1805987
    http://forum.sounddomain.com/ubbthre.../1#Post1369669

where speaker wire passes through a metal opening or touches the edge of a metal panel, try to insulate it, split loom is pretty cheap.

nice work so far.

have you been helped by me? i'd love to know. shoot me a PM.

My 2014 Accord build log: http://mobileaudioforum.com/forum/showthread.php?6722-KHA-2014-Accord-Sport-SQ-Factory-Integration
    ***My YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkYUo2EShW9lgtrfXiDvLNQ/videos
    *My 2001 Accord build log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/536049-2001-accord-ex-sedan-its-long.html
    *2005 Scion tC Build Log: http://www.caraudio.com/forums/car-audio-build-logs-cars-trucks-suvs/516096-2005-scion-tc-sq-hertz-audison-pioneer-build-log.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the advice! But I don't have the money to buy enough deadener and ensolite to cover all my doors to close up all the holes, it's just too expensive. And they sounded alright before, what they lacked in bass the subs made up for. And doing it with sheet metal might be a little difficult, and not sure how much or where I can buy sheet metal.
    Last edited by silveradokid; 06-19-2011 at 03:43 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Sorry its been a little while, I've been busy working and waiting for parts. I've decided that I'm going to order more fatmat and hopefully put it on all the doors and the floor. It will take a little while before I get that. I'm also hoping I can build or order a box next week along with the subs.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Making some speaker baffles to create a better seal around the speaker. Not sure if you can see it but the person who had the truck before me just hacked up the metal trying to create a bigger opening, so these should help to create a good seal.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This build is becoming more and more extensive each day. After finishing the amp rack today and thinking of ways to securely mount it, me and my dad decided that we will probably take the bed off to mount it, while the bed is off I will be replacing the fuel pump and painting the frame/rear axle. So this will take a lot longer than originally planned, and it will cost a lot more than I thought. I ordered 50sqft of fatmat to do the rear floor and wall, along with parts of the doors. Today I started sealing up some of the doors with thick aluminum tape. I also bought some polyfill to throw in the rear doors since they are just empty. I will try to order some subs soon and will be looking for an amp. Just a lot more money to throw down for this thing.

"Take Your Flame, and IGNITE the world"

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast