Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Reload Thread: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

destined2race is offline Already Being Used....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Re: 1999 Silverado Alpine Build

well the box placement seems off for that setup, is that how you have them all the time?

Headunit - Kenwood DDX 318 4v double din
    Front Stage - JL Audio c2 6.5 comp set
    Rear Stage - Jl Audio VR 6" comp set
    Front stage amp - OS Sony (.005 THD Rated)
    Sub Stage - 2 10" IDs 1cu sealed per
    Sub Stage Amp - Boston Acoustic GT-28
    Big 3, SVR800 Batt, JL Blue Line Rca's, 0 ga JL kit
    Refs - The_Grimy_One, Deusle, zach90z, shineman08, Orion 2500D

silveradokid is offline The Hope that lies WITHIN

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I just put them in, so no they don't stay like that, they have just been that way so far. I was going to stand them up and face the trunk door but my dad didn't want me to, and its really his car so what he says goes. I figured the placement of the subs could have an affect on they way it sounds, but not affect it so much that they aren't loud. My only assumptions at this point are, I need to upgrade the power for the amps from 8gauge to 4 gauge (only pushing 400rms amp), if that doesn't do it then I will upgrade the sub wiring(has 12gauge right now), if that doesn't work then I'll take the subs out of the box and look at the wiring because I'm not really sure how the two are wired, and if all those fail my conclusion is the amp is junk.

"Take Your Flame, and IGNITE the world"

martiandancer31 is offline Front Towards Enemy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silveradokid View Post
    Well I just put them in, so no they don't stay like that, they have just been that way so far. I was going to stand them up and face the trunk door but my dad didn't want me to, and its really his car so what he says goes. I figured the placement of the subs could have an affect on they way it sounds, but not affect it so much that they aren't loud. My only assumptions at this point are, I need to upgrade the power for the amps from 8gauge to 4 gauge (only pushing 400rms amp), if that doesn't do it then I will upgrade the sub wiring(has 12gauge right now), if that doesn't work then I'll take the subs out of the box and look at the wiring because I'm not really sure how the two are wired, and if all those fail my conclusion is the amp is junk.
    8 gauge should be fine for 400 watts RMS, even if the amp isn't all that efficient. As long as it's actually 8 gauge. On the other hand, if the subs aren't wired down to a low enough impedance to allow your amp to push 400 watts RMS into them, that could be a problem. Any idea what the setup reads on a DMM?

on a side note, looking forward to the conclusion of this build.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well the 8 gauge claims to be 8 gauge, however it is a cheap wire I ordered off ebay and I don't believe it is actually 8 gauge. So when my little brother gets off tonight and brings home some 4 gauge ring terminals I will run 4 gauge wire to the amp and see if it makes a difference. Then I will check the impedance on the subs, that was my thought as well. And I'm assuming by DMM you mean digital multi-meter, if so, I don't have one so I'm not sure. But I'm looking forward to the conclusion as well lol, only one month away! That is, as long as everything goes according to plan.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

delete

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

delete

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More related to this build thread, I did some work on my box today. I have completed all the wood work on it, only need to glue it up and carpet it. Oh, and I need to cut holes to mount the subs. Here are some pictures:

Fits in perfectly, its as big as I can get it without raising the seat or having it extend past the seat. I'd say I'm very happy with how it fits

Getting the top prepped for some extra mounting depth

And some extra mounting depth, only 3/4", not sure if I really needed it but it doesn't hurt to have it.

And the speaker cup holes cut

I don't want to glue it up till I'm sure everything is correct. I need to check mounting depth to make sure it will fit the type
    r's. When gluing it together is there a certain type of glue I should use? I was thinking that gorilla glue would work well since its tough as nails and it will fill up any gaps in the box. As well as the gorilla glue I would be using caulking inside the box on the corner.

itsblown is offline why is there smoke?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)

glad to see you didnt give up on this, was one of the first build logs I ever looked over on ca.com

smgreen20 is offline phoenixphorum-com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I use Titebond III wood glue, cheaper then Gorilla glue, but Gorilla glue will work just fine. Some silicones have a harsh vapor that eats at surrounds, let the silicone fully dry before putting the subs in. It isn't to common today, but still happens from time to time. Looks good. Hope you like it.

My install
    http://phoenixphorum.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=16998

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by itsblown View Post
    glad to see you didnt give up on this, was one of the first build logs I ever looked over on ca.com
    Yeah I didn't give up, I've just been away at school so didn't really have an option to work on it. It will be done a little after christmas I hope And green thanks for the tips man!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by silveradokid View Post
    So this is what I started with about two years ago when I first got her.

Now I know kickers are frowned upon, but this is what I bought it with, and I must say for my first set of subs they worked pretty good!
    whoah now, ive got 2 solo x 12s in a 98 silverado everything but the solo x sucksss but the x's are great.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well I liked the CVR's I had a lot, thought Kickers were one of the best subs lol, then when they get jacked I looked at replacement costs. I started reading reviews and thoughts on the subs and all I see are people bashing kickers, not sure why though I didn't have a bad experience with them.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I've got a question, if I want to tune my amps for my speakers and subs so that my speakers don't receive any of the low notes just the mid's and highs, letting my subs take all the low notes how do I do that? Right now, without the subs in my speakers hit some real low notes or sound like they are trying to and just don't sound good. With rock songs they sound fine, but with rap they don't sound so great and I feel as though its because they are trying to produce too low of bass. I'm not sure if its possible without an equilizer or cross over. With the hertz, is it the higher the hertz the higher the frequencies(less bass), and the lower the hertz the lower the frequencies(more bass)?

AlterEgo99 is offline Streaming consciousness

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    19 Post(s)

I'll add my two cents here. I have an '08 Silverado X-tra cab. Had a box built and carpeted that fits perfectly under the rear seat but you are correct that there isn't a lot of clearance under there. I'm using 2 10" JL Audio 10W1v2's powered by an Alpine PDX 1.600. I have the two subs wired in parallel so each is getting 300W max RMS. I have Polk Audio comps in the front doors and the rear doors all powered by an Alpine PDX 4.100. Both amps are located in my center console with a two PC fans, one brings air in (from the drivers side) and the other pushing the air out from the top. I built the fan input and output sections so that they would blend in and not be noticeable. Wasn't really using the huge compartment in the center console anyways and there isn't a lot of locations to mount amps in this truck. I am using an Alpine CDA-9887 with Imprint for the H/U. I kept it all as stock looking as possible. I'll have to take some pictures sometime though I have had this setup for over 2 years now and love it. Great SQ and bumps hard enough for me as I'm an older gent and don't need to rattle my fillings loose.

Eddie Izzard: Squirrels always eat nuts with two hands, always two hands, "arararar", and occasionally, they stop and go...oh, uh, ah, as if they're going, "Did I leave the gas on? No! No, I'm a fucking squirrel!"

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

@alterego, I'm anxious to see some pictures of your installs.
    I have a very important update,

The Build may continue!!!!!!!
    I will be working on it tomorrow hopefully, they are very big so I'm thinking I'll have to change some things on the box, but we will see tomorrow

Closed Thread
Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast