Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 107

Reload Thread: Evo VIII install

  1. #31
    Carnivorous18's Avatar
    Carnivorous18 is offline T3h G33k



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    What was with the blue tape covering the headlights in the first pic?




    My car: 1999 Honda Civic EX EJ8
    System: 2 12" DC XL (not installed) ~Amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
    XS D5100R & XS D3100
    DC Power Engineering 180amp HO Alternator
    HU: JVC KD-A815
    Front & Back Stage: ID CTX65CS on MB Quart Onyx4.60 @280w per channel
    Thanks to Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown I shouldn't be rattling




  2. #32
    bigaudiofanatic's Avatar
    bigaudiofanatic is offline Dynamic Mobile Audio



    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Bridgeton NJ
    Age
    26
    Posts
    1,866
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    To protect the headlights on race day so if the brak there is not pieces all over. Or it could be to protect against the bugs.



    I help people with car audio, computers, and much more.
    AIM me at reimermatt
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...wpost&t=370497

  3. #33
    collin.k's Avatar
    collin.k is offline Member



    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Vancouver, Canada
    Posts
    149
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    no man, they're sunglasses




  4. #34
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    It's blue painters to tape. I was at track day and they required tape on the headlights, you can also see the red transponder ziptied to the lower grill. The car was still new, notice the dealer sticker on the windshield, and I didn't have the clear bra installed yet. I covered the whole light assembly with two layers and hoped I didn't get any chips or cracks. Normally just an X across the lights will do but I looked up the replacement cost for the HIDs and shat. Here is a video of the track day I made. I went with the EOC, Evo Owners Club and we shared the track with an SER racing club. The track is Streets of Willow Springs.
    Last edited by AWD PSI; 09-24-2010 at 05:01 AM.




  5. #35
    Carnivorous18's Avatar
    Carnivorous18 is offline T3h G33k



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Lol I just got HID's for my civic. xtremehids.com They were on my brothers civic before but it got stolen. Luckily when he got it back they were still in there so I bought them off of him. Heres a link to mine: Xtreme Hids
    Just thought id share incase you were worried about replacing your HIDs, these are very legit.
    But question: when your at the track how are you more prone to damaging the headlights?




    My car: 1999 Honda Civic EX EJ8
    System: 2 12" DC XL (not installed) ~Amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
    XS D5100R & XS D3100
    DC Power Engineering 180amp HO Alternator
    HU: JVC KD-A815
    Front & Back Stage: ID CTX65CS on MB Quart Onyx4.60 @280w per channel
    Thanks to Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown I shouldn't be rattling

  6. #36
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorous18 View Post
    Lol I just got HID's for my civic. xtremehids.com They were on my brothers civic before but it got stolen. Luckily when he got it back they were still in there so I bought them off of him. Heres a link to mine: Xtreme Hids
    Just thought id share incase you were worried about replacing your HIDs, these are very legit.
    But question: when your at the track how are you more prone to damaging the headlights?
    The headlights are stock so dealer replacement cost is what I was referring. Outrageous on this car to say the least. After my free maintenance was up I started getting my car serviced at an Evo race shop for a significant reduction in price and by people that know the car better than almost any Mitsu tech.
    I don't know if headlights are prone to getting damaged at track days but I just wanted a little protection. Streets of Willow has plenty of gravel around the track and people are always going off and coming back on and tracking the small rocks with them. On one hand I was using the car for wht I bought it for but on the other hand I want to keep it in nice shape. This car has been my daily driver the last 5 years. All mods have been performance oriented for a strong reliable road car build. I now have over 90k mi and don't see many if any track days left for it. I want to retire it to weekend/occasional use and reward it with a turbo upgrade.

    Sorry to hear about your bro's car. I hear too much of that shite and it just pisses me off.




  7. #37
    Carnivorous18's Avatar
    Carnivorous18 is offline T3h G33k



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Quote Originally Posted by AWD PSI View Post
    The headlights are stock so dealer replacement cost is what I was referring. Outrageous on this car to say the least. After my free maintenance was up I started getting my car serviced at an Evo race shop for a significant reduction in price and by people that know the car better than almost any Mitsu tech.
    I don't know if headlights are prone to getting damaged at track days but I just wanted a little protection. Streets of Willow has plenty of gravel around the track and people are always going off and coming back on and tracking the small rocks with them. On one hand I was using the car for wht I bought it for but on the other hand I want to keep it in nice shape. This car has been my daily driver the last 5 years. All mods have been performance oriented for a strong reliable road car build. I now have over 90k mi and don't see many if any track days left for it. I want to retire it to weekend/occasional use and reward it with a turbo upgrade.

    Sorry to hear about your bro's car. I hear too much of that shite and it just pisses me off.
    Lol thanks man. I know at least he had comprehensive insurance so he got some money back. It deserved alot more though. But I see. Yea a nice turbo for some fun times out sounds legit I wana turbo my civic but im sure thats gona be rough as a daily driver. And shiets expensive, having to rebuild engine then put in the turbo will cost a ton in itself, not including the turbo components itself. For now just a dream, but we'll see




    My car: 1999 Honda Civic EX EJ8
    System: 2 12" DC XL (not installed) ~Amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
    XS D5100R & XS D3100
    DC Power Engineering 180amp HO Alternator
    HU: JVC KD-A815
    Front & Back Stage: ID CTX65CS on MB Quart Onyx4.60 @280w per channel
    Thanks to Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown I shouldn't be rattling

  8. #38
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Was it worth it?

    After driving the car around the last two days I would say yes.

    This is with the driver door being left stock (speaker and all) and some trim panels still missing from the driver side foot well. The car is definitely quieter inside than it was before and I'm only half done. Now when I say quieter keep in mind it's all relative. I'm basing this on what I remember from before I started, it is easier to talk on the phone (something I do a lot of for work) using the head set or speaker. That is really what I was after and I seem to have achieved it. I had the interior out for about 3 weeks while executing the build, the car was way loud so even putting it back in stock it was going to be better. I know the cars many different sounds and rattles (outside) and they are all muted and some gone when I compare to stock. The biggest difference is when I fade to the front and go left and right between the stock door and modified one. There is no comparison. The modded door sounds much better, the stock door sounds like and echoing tin can with a speaker in it. The one thing that didn't happen that has me baffled is that the door doesn't sound any better closing. It definitely feels heavier and sounds solid when you knock on it from the outside but I didn't really notice it sounding different when closing. Oh well if that is what doesn't go right then I'm happy.

    So at the moment there are no more pics because I'm covering ground I've already posted about. Should take me a couple days to do the driver door the same way I did the passenger side.

    Still looking for a decent cheap sub/enclosure. My amp is rated 200rms 4ohm or 350rms 2ohm. Can pick up an Alpine Type R 10" 2 or 4 ohm for 115.00. Thinking thats a pretty good contender. My amp is only good for half its rating but I'm not looking for a heavy ground pounder.




  9. #39
    Carnivorous18's Avatar
    Carnivorous18 is offline T3h G33k



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Do tell if you figure out how to improve your door closing sound. I wana deaden my car like that too for your same reasons. My bluetooth connection to car is hard to hear, esp on the freeway because roadnoise blocks it out some. But hey Type-r's dont seem half bad subs. But are you saying in reality your amp can really only do about 100rms 4ohm and 175 2ohm?




    My car: 1999 Honda Civic EX EJ8
    System: 2 12" DC XL (not installed) ~Amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
    XS D5100R & XS D3100
    DC Power Engineering 180amp HO Alternator
    HU: JVC KD-A815
    Front & Back Stage: ID CTX65CS on MB Quart Onyx4.60 @280w per channel
    Thanks to Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown I shouldn't be rattling

  10. #40
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorous18 View Post
    Do tell if you figure out how to improve your door closing sound. I wana deaden my car like that too for your same reasons. My bluetooth connection to car is hard to hear, esp on the freeway because roadnoise blocks it out some.
    I don't plan on doing anything else to the finished door. The door does sound different when you close it, just not that drastic of a change. I don't know what I was expecting, it's not even a big deal. My wife came out to the garage as I was finishing the door, I said "hey honey listen to this!", I shut the door and she gave me a look like I was fkn nuts and went back inside. I think if you were to go with multiple layers of Dynamat (a waste) or actually use the MLV then the door would have the BMW thud. I'm happy with the performance of the door.

    Quote Originally Posted by Carnivorous18 View Post
    But hey Type-r's dont seem half bad subs. But are you saying in reality your amp can really only do about 100rms 4ohm and 175 2ohm?
    What I meant was the amp can only push half the rated power of the subs. So the sub can take 600rms and the amp can only supply 200-350rms.




  11. #41
    Carnivorous18's Avatar
    Carnivorous18 is offline T3h G33k



    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Age
    23
    Posts
    454
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Ohh gotcha. Hmm well I havent gotten around to it but i'll help you out with the sub search. But yea im sorta lookin for that bmw thud too. You chose a good place to learn about deadening at sdshowdown




    My car: 1999 Honda Civic EX EJ8
    System: 2 12" DC XL (not installed) ~Amp: Sundown SAZ-3000D
    XS D5100R & XS D3100
    DC Power Engineering 180amp HO Alternator
    HU: JVC KD-A815
    Front & Back Stage: ID CTX65CS on MB Quart Onyx4.60 @280w per channel
    Thanks to Don @ SoundDeadenerShowdown I shouldn't be rattling

  12. #42
    Skittles619's Avatar
    Skittles619 is offline Member



    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    119
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Nice car, Rossi helmet ftw :P




  13. #43
    chawski's Avatar
    chawski is offline Member



    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    love the ride man. I helped a buddy deaden his EvoMR a few years ago and when i say theres no sound deadening, i mean there was NOTHING haha. everything was bare metal. it rattled if you talked too loud. I love the creativity for the doors!




  14. #44
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Quote Originally Posted by Skittles619 View Post
    Nice car, Rossi helmet ftw :P
    Glad you like it! I still ride Honda so people think I'm either an og fan or out of touch...little of both I guess.




  15. #45
    AWD PSI's Avatar
    AWD PSI is offline Senior VIP Member

    Threadstarter


    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    SoCal
    Posts
    177
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Evo VIII install

    Quote Originally Posted by chawski View Post
    love the ride man. I helped a buddy deaden his EvoMR a few years ago and when i say theres no sound deadening, i mean there was NOTHING haha. everything was bare metal. it rattled if you talked too loud. I love the creativity for the doors!
    Thanks man, appreciate it! You are right about no deadening, just some little carpet pad squares here and there. I've been thinking about doing the rear doors and went by costco today but they didn't have anymore of the mats left. Not really sure I want to add all the weight Mitsu worked so hard to shave off, aluminum roof panel lowered the center of gravity by 3mm(or something)...but then the MR is the heaviest model with the HIDs and 6spd.




Closed Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum