Reload Thread: 2002 Explorer

HCCA is offline Slayer of Libs

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2002 Explorer

I have found that mass loading only goes so far. I am planning to use aluminum stock to brace the inside door skin, as it flexes just under the door handle....a lot! It doesn't make any noise, but you can feel it vibrate with heavy midbass. Despite what some might think, that should not happen in a good stereo system. No fault of the Damplifier Pro. There just needs to be more metal to stiffen up the door. The deader, the better.

The Top 50% of income earners pay 96.54% of All Income Taxes. The Top 1% Pay More Than a Third:34.27%...so, the next time you hear about "tax cuts for the rich", remember...those are practically the only people paying taxes.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

K, not aluminum stock, but steel stock. This will test my install skills. I need to get the inside skin of the door stiffened up. Yet, I still need to be able to fit the door card back on. The door's inner skin being convoluted, it will be an involved trick.

Anyone ever do this kind of thing before???

The Top 50% of income earners pay 96.54% of All Income Taxes. The Top 1% Pay More Than a Third:34.27%...so, the next time you hear about "tax cuts for the rich", remember...those are practically the only people paying taxes.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A few pics I'm just now getting around to posting. Speakers installed...

Passives in the door pockets. Trust me, if there was ANYPLACE else to put them....
    Last edited by HCCA; 11-01-2009 at 09:08 AM.

t1990le is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HCCA View Post
    Yes, 1/0 will fit through the channel...

lol thats looks just like the way i ran my wire.

thats a nice, clean install BTW

2004 Ford F-150:
    HU: Panasonic CQ-C8803U
    (4) Polk MM 6x8s, (4) Kicker CVR 10s
    RD 1750.1 & MTX BTP 504
    2 runs 1/0 Welding Cable, 8awg & 14awg speaker wire, Optima YT, Custom BP 215 amp Alt, Big 3 in 1/0

bamaboy is offline War Eagle!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks good man

had pros as my last set of speakers, good speakers that get loud

there is a spot to put the xovers behind the doors, i had mine there, dont remember where exactly though, or you could put them under the dash or in the kicks

04 Explorer
    Kenwood DDX812
    RF 3Sixty.2
    T6004
    T4002
    T40001bd
    Hertz MLK-2 running Active
    Hertz HCX165
    4x DC Audio LVL 4 12"s

Summer 09' Build...Operation:Pull Wall out, put new subs in DONE!
    Build
    Photobucket
    now with video

Skip01 is offline Diggy

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bamaboy View Post
    looks good man

had pros as my last set of speakers, good speakers that get loud

there is a spot to put the xovers behind the doors, i had mine there, dont remember where exactly though, or you could put them under the dash or in the kicks
    Im getting some Focals soon, i want my xovers under seats.

I have em in doors now and i just broke 1 or 2....slamming doors and of course insanely LOUD BASSS

YOUTUBE VIDZ:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Skip01

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice clean install! I've got a 2002 exp. and had an idea to do a false floor also and fiberglass a single 12" where my factory 8" is.This gives me hope.

robertoyoung08 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

****. real clean install man. good job.
    how are those jbls by the way?!
    ive been wanting to hear some good opinions about them for YEARS now!
    i always wanted the, but ended up with some jls. then i was finally going to get the wgti's but i couldnt find ANYTHING online about how good they are. so i ended up with a re mx. really debated between the wgti and the mx though. get some good videos up if you can when its all up and going.
    good job

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by robertoyoung08 View Post
    ****. real clean install man. good job.
    how are those jbls by the way?!
    ive been wanting to hear some good opinions about them for YEARS now!
    I always wanted the, but ended up with some jls. then i was finally going to get the wgti's, but I couldnt find ANYTHING online about how good they are. so i ended up with a re mx. really debated between the wgti and the mx though. get some good videos up if you can when its all up and going.
    good job
    I like them, but I'm beginning to believe the guy I bought one of them off of. They are best when ported. They sound as good ported, as sealed, only louder! He was a former fan of sealed, only. As sealed usually does sound more natural. However, more subs are being made that break that mold. The W12GTi is one of them. My only problem, is after tuning, I think I'm going to make some changes. Not sure just what, yet, but...changes. I could go ported, and be done. It would be louder, but I'm oriented more towards SQ.

If I go for SQ only, then I might just use one of them with 1200W, ported, but use one of the other amps for a MB in the door. OR, get a set of the BA SPG 60's. They have double the excursion capability. No need for a dedicated MB. Anyway, lot's of idea...not a lot of answers, yet.

Right now, I need to get to bracing my doors. The MB is vibrating the doors, pretty hard. I think that if I can get the square tube steel braces to fit, it should make the MB tighter, and the SQ even a bit better. NOTE: You really have to dampen the shiznit out of the doors, on '02 Explorers!
    Last edited by HCCA; 11-04-2009 at 05:19 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Well, this was one of my better ideas. It actually turned out as well as expected. And, I think there is more that can be done to further stiffen up the door. If any of you Explorer owners out there, were wondering. It DOES make a difference in SQ. I was doing it to stop the vibration through the door card. It was annoying. I thought that SQ might improve, some. BUT, it improved a LOT.

It's 1/2" square steel stock, from ACE. It came as a 4' long piece. I cut it in half, and notched the end to fit at the rear. I also used nylon bushings to make the gap between the brace, and the fabricated access panel, solid.
    Last edited by HCCA; 11-02-2009 at 09:46 PM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Umm...Nooo....
    There is NO room under the dash, unless I want to duct tape them to existing factory wiring, on the driver's side. The passenger side...there is almost no room for even the speaker wire. The kicks would not hide them, either. There is precious little room there, because of factory wiring behind them.
    Besides, I might get some SPZ's to try, and those crossovers, are even larger than what the Pro's have.
    Last edited by HCCA; 11-04-2009 at 04:24 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice i wish that i saw this before doing my explorer.
    good job.

2000 explorer xlt
    9887 imprint w/ipod120
    2 x sax 100.4
    2 x saz 1500d
    hat L1 pro
    rs52 mid
    id oem mid bass
    fi q 15
    mechman rhino 250+ alt w/xs3400d

mobeious is offline what does 0hz feel like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by HCCA View Post
    Umm...Nooo....
    There is NO room under the dash, unless I want to duct tape them to existing factory wiring, on the driver's side. The passenger side...there is almost no room for even the speaker wire. The kicks would not hide them, either. There is precious little room there, because of factory wiring behind them.
    Besides, I might get some SPZ's to try, and those crossovers, are even larger than what the Pro's have.
    actualy there is alot of room behind and above the glove box .. and alot of room right next to the steering column

Alpine CDA-9833
    (2)sets Cresendo ccx65

Box Engineer for

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mobeious View Post
    actualy there is alot of room behind and above the glove box .. and alot of room right next to the steering column
    OK, I knew I had checked everywhere. But, for the sake of being accurate, I just went out to check again. Yep, I was right....no room in either of those two places. Upon opening the glove box, I found there is a steel (Actually, it looks like potmetal) brace, that runs the width of the dash. It spans the full distance across the top of the glove box with about 1/2" of space above the edges of the glove box. Directly behind the glove box is the airbox for the climate control system. About a 1/2" clearance there, as well.

On the driver's side...there is also, no room. The pedals, fusebox, and other wiring would make it impossible. Not to mention, placing wiring where it could get tangled with brake/gas pedal! Perhaps you might be thinking of an earlier model Explorer.

And, in any event, I will never just shove a stereo component anywhere. It will mount securely, neatly, and where it can be serviced with little effort, or it doesn't fit. And, a 6 1/2 x 3 11/16 x 1 5/8 crossover is a little limiting, as to mounting options. Under the seat also won't work, on this vehicle, as the space under the seat is limited by the electric seat motors that will run down to less than an inch from the carpet, at it's lowest setting.
    Last edited by HCCA; 11-05-2009 at 08:18 AM.

mobeious is offline what does 0hz feel like?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

hmmm ill have to go get pics where my 3way xovers are in "my dash"

Alpine CDA-9833
    (2)sets Cresendo ccx65

Box Engineer for

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast