Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: first box built, few questions to answer

c0rrupted0ne is offline Senior VIP Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: first box built, few questions to answer

yea this is my first & last time making a box. i messed up cuz i made uneven cuts and things didnt fit the way they were supposed to so i made more adjustments and ended up with what i have now lol. and if the box really is 2.293@ 29.66 hz, how do u think a 12'' re se will sound in it?

lovindabass is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

yeah. I see that you have the port with a lot of extra port area infact you have what should be the exit but the main 30 inch drag is 1 inch too shallow.... you should have just made the port all the same not turn it 90 degrees.... *( by standing it up you have screwed the tuning. the port should all be on the same plain. IE when looking in the sub cutout you should see an inner wall that openes like 3 or 4 inches to the right of the sub cutout. and it go in an L shape around the sub. You however have the long part of the L under the sub and the short firing out beside it.... MAJOR problems. It may sound good but you have a smaller port in a longer spot... understand. You have made the tuning wayy off. I dont even know how to calculate that. I would have just made the port fire up and compensated for it. I would just replace that side plate and retune the box. because with the current design your going to have some serious problems. Tuned either Way to low or something weird...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

29 htz is way low. I have the RE xxx 15. I had it tuned at 28 htz at one point. It was a solid rock awesome low monster but other than sounding very clean and smooth down low it ******. No mid or upper bass just VERY LOW pounding. I would say that it probably will sound ok. but wont be very loud... I would try it see how you like it because ultimately you are the one who listens to it all day. but if you could have messed up correctly I would say that you picked the right way to do it. Tune very low in a small box and sound good. so... just try it out first. but I would say thta its probably not going to suite your tastes.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im so ****ed lol, i might just go get a prefab box -.- no money left

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nahh its an easy fix do you still have a little left over scraps? if so fill in the current port hole. seal it up real nice. If you have any fiberglass resin use some of that just to patch it lol like 15 bucks at most for a small thing of fiberglass resin at walmart. and then just cut out the opening up top. like in the picture.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks good, i might do that, thanks bro

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

fill the opening. Keep the opening of the port 3 inches and then remove what you have currently for the port. Make the port length 1 around 10.25 inches deep and the second or what is now the long portion around 6.5 inches long.. That should give you a tuning of around 35 htz. If the box would then be 41 wide by 14 deep by 13 tall. giving the port to fire up same as the sub. thats the easy way to fix it unless you have enough wood to completely replace the side where the port currently fires.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

but follow those lengths exactly or your tuning will still be way off. if you dont remove and change the port lengh you will end up with a tuning of 29.2 lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

im gonna go with the easy fix lol, but i dont think im gonna replace the port, its glued in and screwed. another question, how can i secure it in my car?
    edit: lol just read ur post, fkc it then man im just gonna go with this box then, hopefully it will sound good.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its not too hard to remove the ports unscrew them and tap it with a hammer. they will come off. its just with that tuning and the different deminsions of the inner port you will be wayy low. if it were like the xxx 12 i'd say its ok you could get away with the tuning but the se is a little too shallow on the low side. at least for a tuning below 32 htz. try it and tell us how it sounds but just cut the port its not too hard. If you can remove one of the sides then it shouldn't be hard at all. leave the verticle port wall and just cut all the long port off leaving about 7.5 inches of it. Trust me I retuned my box and I had layered fiberglass resin inside and out. I had covered the screws with a 1/4 inch thick layer of resin. and I was able to get it taken apart and reassembled quite easily. all you gotta do is cut out the new port opening on top. fill the one you have in, and shave about 22.5 inches off of the current port. with the design i'm talking about you will also have a box of about 2.8 before sub disp. not a bad box at all!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

its not too hard to remove the ports unscrew them and tap it with a hammer. they will come off. its just with that tuning and the different deminsions of the inner port you will be wayy low. if it were like the xxx 12 i'd say its ok you could get away with the tuning but the se is a little too shallow on the low side. at least for a tuning below 32 htz. try it and tell us how it sounds but just cut the port its not too hard. If you can remove one of the sides then it shouldn't be hard at all. leave the verticle port wall and just cut all the long port off leaving about 7.5 inches of it. Trust me I retuned my box and I had layered fiberglass resin inside and out. I had covered the screws with a 1/4 inch thick layer of resin. and I was able to get it taken apart and reassembled quite easily. all you gotta do is cut out the new port opening on top. fill the one you have in, and shave about 22.5 inches off of the current port. with the design i'm talking about you will also have a box of about 2.8 before sub disp. not a bad box at all!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i got more bad news lol, turned out the box woudlnt fit in my car, lmao. i feel like such a retard right now, it did slam tho so i think with a new box it would be even better.

Alpineforever is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Don't give up man, live and learn, i bet after making the prodigious amount of mistakes you made on this box that you're next box will be absolutely awesome.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks for the encouragement bro

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast