Closed Thread

Reload Thread: planning a full build

mat3833 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

planning a full build

Ok, im probobly going into the military so i want to plan a full build for when i get back and get my bonus. the car will be a 2003 New Beetle Turbo S. i already know what speakers i will be using for highs and mids(Herz 3 way componant up front and herz 2 way componant in rear), the amp to run that i have no clue.

as for subs im going to go overkill and go with an 8 inch sealed, a 10 inch sealed, and then a 13.5 ported. as for sub choice i was thinking JL 8W1, 10W3 and either 13W7 or 13W6. im leaning towards the W6 as im more of a SQ person and the W6 sounds better to me. the subs will all be in a "seperate" enclosure but the enclosures wil be fiberglassed together into one enclosure to fit my trunk.

now on to amp choice. i have no clue what amp/amps to choose to get it all to work. id like to be able to set seperate crossovers and subsonic for each of the subs(not sure if there is a standalone crossover that can set subsonic, fill me in). i dont want to have to get a seperate amp for each sub as there will not be enough space in my trunk.

Im going to do an upgraded alternator, have all the wiring and such done by a local shop, and i am getting a capacitor, most likley a very large capacitor. HU is still under considearation as well so if you have any ideas throw them in as well.

also on a side note, if you have any subs that compare or surpass the JL subs for the same price or cheaper throw them in. however i do love JL and have always hade good luck with JL, even running the subs at more than double the RMS rating.

Matt

Matt2105 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: planning a full build

Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post
    Ok, im probobly going into the military so i want to plan a full build for when i get back and get my bonus. the car will be a 2003 New Beetle Turbo S. i already know what speakers i will be using for highs and mids(Herz 3 way componant up front and herz 2 way componant in rear), the amp to run that i have no clue.

as for subs im going to go overkill and go with an 8 inch sealed, a 10 inch sealed, and then a 13.5 ported. as for sub choice i was thinking JL 8W1, 10W3 and either 13W7 or 13W6. im leaning towards the W6 as im more of a SQ person and the W6 sounds better to me. the subs will all be in a "seperate" enclosure but the enclosures wil be fiberglassed together into one enclosure to fit my trunk.

now on to amp choice. i have no clue what amp/amps to choose to get it all to work. id like to be able to set seperate crossovers and subsonic for each of the subs(not sure if there is a standalone crossover that can set subsonic, fill me in). i dont want to have to get a seperate amp for each sub as there will not be enough space in my trunk.

Im going to do an upgraded alternator, have all the wiring and such done by a local shop, and i am getting a capacitor, most likley a very large capacitor. HU is still under considearation as well so if you have any ideas throw them in as well.

also on a side note, if you have any subs that compare or surpass the JL subs for the same price or cheaper throw them in. however i do love JL and have always hade good luck with JL, even running the subs at more than double the RMS rating.

Matt
    Umm...NO!

2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer

HU- Panasonic CQ-7105u
    Fronts- stock Mach system
    Rear- stock Mach system
    Sub- 12" SSA Icon Two 18" SSA Xcons
    Amp - Sundown 1000D Audioque 3500D

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

Ummmmm, why? ever seen a setup like that or even heard one? go find one and you will understand.

and also, instead of just saying no, why dont you add input and be productive??

Matt

kentb is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

whats your plan as far as the crossover point on those 3 subs?

gangstajpimpin is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Congratulations on PROBABLY going into the military. You're lucky, otherwise you might have been flamed for putting this in the WRONG SECTION! Haha. Also, DON'T go with different sized subs. Bad stuff happens. If you listen to mostly rap music I would go with different component systems, as my Hertz HSK 165 set was AMAZING on everything but rap music...lol!

I would recommend a couple DD component sets or RE XXX comps. Amazing!

JL is, I believe, over priced. I would go with RE, DD, AQ, etc subwoofers, but thats just me!

Drop in the upgraded alternator and wire it all up yourself. It is easy and shops will RAPE you if you decide to go that route.

Have fun with your build and the military!!

My Feedback Thread

Refs: datboiroy, VTECnicalAccord, funkpnut, Goindef154, davidtemple

jadon087 is offline The Snowman

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mat3833 View Post

Matt
    the funniest part is that its going into a beetle.

A. IT's hertz not herz
    B. Do no mix subs choose one and do multiples of that
    C.One enclosure will do you better than mutiple especially for sq
    D. Atleast you know about upgrading your alt, but ditch the capacitor and go with a extra battery

refs:Ca.com:pboulos(x2),jeepintn(x2),flipx99,altima98,h eyduude888,lmllopez, brchd, 22mountaineer(x2),NhustlaR(x2), Buck, crownvicon4's,quakercountry,cloak(x2),Twank06"GTO, fasfocus, WilsSebring
    sounddomain:banbury,GmcTruckman
    roe:jdiddy, Team_Havoc_Spl, grandprixgtx
    l

DB-Audio is offline Syko DJ music producer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

dont mix subs stick with one size/brand and use multiples of that you will be happier

2001 Honda Civic EX
    power acoustik 8" over sized touch screen
    doors Stock
    1- Atmos Audio 18
    1- Audiopipe 1000d mini @2 ohms
    Electrical stock for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl_ardHXEkg"]My old System
    http://www.myspace.com/sykodjthereal"]If you Need Beats click this
    http://www.carstereoforum.net"]http://www.carstereoforum.net

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

eh, i missed the **** "T" in hertz, kill me! lol

anyways, im going to respond in the order of the posts. crossovers i have no clue, i wanted to get the 8inch to get more midbass, the new beetle doors **** for midbass, i would basicly have to fiberglass the doors and make a new spot for the 6.5s to get any true midbass out of them. the 10 inch was more for the average bass, between 50Hz and say 120Hz and the 13.5 was for the low ****, below 50Hz. but i guess that all could be accomplished with one size/brand of sub.

as far as the extra batt goes, i honestly have no real place to put it. there is no extra room to put the battery. i can easily fit a 10Farad cap under the hood of the car beside the factory batt.

now that you guys have completly screwed my whole sub settup idea lets see what you guys would do! keep in mind that the new beetle has a small *** trunk.....

oh and as for the Her"T"z set, i do listen to rap but im mainly a rock person. i throw on rap when i want my chest to hurt, that and when i drive up next to the homies. lol

Matt

Matt2105 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

First, I wouldnt run JL, unless you just like overpaying.

Second, I'd get the biggest sub that will fit in the back whether it be a 10, 12, or 15. Since you say you want SQ, look into the SSA Icon and Xcon, Fi Q, and AA Havoc.

Third, Hertz comps are a good choice. If you NEEDmore midbass then try to fit an 8" speaker somewhere in the door, not an 8" sub. There's no point in running three different sized subs because subwoofers are all intended to play the same frequency range. Size doesnt dictate frequency.

Amp selection- cant go wrong with sundown audio, RD Audio, audioque, IA, etc...Just match the amp to the sub. The amp for the fronts would depend on if you're running your comps active or not.

Lastly, don't buy a capacitor. If you're going to spend the money, buy a battery. FIND somewhere to put it. Perhaps under the backseats. With a single sub setup, you should have room to add a battery.

2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer

HU- Panasonic CQ-7105u
    Fronts- stock Mach system
    Rear- stock Mach system
    Sub- 12" SSA Icon Two 18" SSA Xcons
    Amp - Sundown 1000D Audioque 3500D

DNick454 is offline Honda + Subs = Rattles :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Mixing sub sizes is a no-no. They all have different transient responses and acoustic properties that will not sound good (and possibly add cancellation) when mixed together. If you're lacking mid-bass, it's probably because of your current speakers and head-unit power. Once you get a nice set of components and cross them over properly and amplify them, you will have more mid-bass then you know what to do with. As far as the subs go, pick 1 or 2 subs that you like and stick with them. Don't go mixing and matching. Subs to keep in mind: DD1508's They're nice and compact so they could fit in that beetle trunk easily but they will still get ridiculously loud.

Oh and one last comment. DITCH THE IDEA OF A CAPACITOR!!!!1111oneoneone

----My Two 10's Flexin' ----
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLrj5PmrKVM
    Quote Originally Posted by mossberg385t View Post
    im calling goob greedy because the ad revenue was suppost to go to site maintenance and upkeep, i havent seen anything but a slow *** server, a virus, self centered mods, and excuses to be expected from steve meade. I just hope the money is going to a good cause such as a heroin addiction

I design and build boxes.
    References
    http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=404022

spencer321 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2 things, #1 everyone is right you don't mix sub sizes, on top of that the midbass your refering to is directional unlike sub bass. so if you wanted to run custom kick panels with 8's crossed from say 80-250 as a dedicated midbass many SQ people do that, but you can just run one, your stage will be way the hell off

and #2 the only people who plan out systems with all JL subs have less than 200 posts lol good job being a statistic

Quote Originally Posted by CantGetEnufBASS View Post
    yeah his story about 300 db's sounded a little funny, but now that i know he's using type-r's thats totally beliveable

Supergumby5000 is offline Project: F350 begins...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Unless you plan on having a very complicated crossover system, using different sized sub's isnt going to benefit you at all. You would be +1 to just keep it simple and use one size of sub in a proper enclosure rather than trying to work a crossover system for multiple size drivers (otherwise you risk having a bit of cancellation)

Project: Avalanche V1... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345189
    Project: Avalanche V2... http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=432321
    Project: F350... Coming Soon!
    Need a box or box design? -EMAIL- me for info/quotes, do NOT send a PM
    my username @ hotmail.com

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

ok, so im nixing the diferent sized sub idea. i would like to go with either 2 10s or 2 12s. my GF is completly against going ported, however i want to go ported so thats what im doing.

now to explain my JL sub fix. i currently have a 10W0V2 rated at 300W RMS. i am putting over 900W through that sub and it is still going strong. it has been playing for over a year on and off but i have been feeding it the current dose of power for over 2 months. i broke the sub in on about 100W and after about 2 weeks of play time started feeding it more and more. im now at about 1000W and the shop i bought it from is loving it. i kno im voiding the warranty and all but i paid almoast nothing for the settup with intentions of upgrading soon.

now, talk to me about sub choice. i have maby 8 cubic feet of trunk space, and it is not square. i am going to have to have an enclosure made. i am a SQ person, but i like loud SQ. in the begining i was thinking one 13W6 in the trunk but decided against it due to space constraints. i want the most RELIABLE bang for my buck(which is why i choose JL, never had a single problem with any of my JL stuff).

i looked at the DD subs, they look good. but if im going to go dual 10" or 12" would it be better to step down to the 500 series?

as to the midbass problem its not a matter of the speakers i have now, or have had in the past. there is no room to put 8" drivers in the door. 6.5" is as large as i can go. the stock doors are 4" in a ported enclosure. they actually played lower than my 10" sub(which is very depressing). VW knew what they were doing when they designed the monsoon system. i just have to figure out how to improve it.

what is the benefit of going active crossover instead of passive? i read about them both and never really got a strait answer.

Matt

plugitin is offline She Bangs plugitin is a Supporting Member of the forum!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

JL isn't that great man...for the money you could get muuuch better. Why would your gf not want a ported box?

Team DC Audio

Refs: absoluteaudio, rab, walnut, seedubs1, dbeez, -leister-, Louisiana_crx, bubbagumper6, DS Autpsports, Mr.Ronin_2U, lil98cabrio, wone, micah_jones, grinder1989

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)

idk why she doesnt want ported, something one of her friends told her i guess. but like i said, the setup will b ported.

anyways, back to the sub discussion. point me in the direction of some awesome subs 10" or 12" with an RMS of 500 or so. im not too good at looking around, allthe stats mean nothing to me except RMS and box size....

Matt

Closed Thread