Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 33

Reload Thread: a little fun on a ford truck

  1. #16
    IDSkoT's Avatar
    IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    6,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by 99grandprixGT View Post
    looks good but is that a cap i see
    x2

    All good except the cap.
    But I suppose people associate a good build with a cap... so, I don't suppose I could mark you down for that.

    But that's great building skill. I would've went with the more dangerous approach of Jigsawing the thing rather than bandsawing it... I rarely even think about using a band saw... I don't know why.



    Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

    Feedback Thread

    Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )






  2. #17
    LDW3RD's Avatar
    LDW3RD is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    PHILLY
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,287
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    excellent craftsmanship



    All reggae all the time.....

  3. #18
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by IDSkoT View Post
    x2

    All good except the cap.
    But I suppose people associate a good build with a cap... so, I don't suppose I could mark you down for that.

    But that's great building skill. I would've went with the more dangerous approach of Jigsawing the thing rather than bandsawing it... I rarely even think about using a band saw... I don't know why.
    now, there is nothing wrong with a cap. Whoever told you that must be a novice, and antually they are just sitting in the door, they actually were installed in the box behind one of the amps, and there were 2. Everything was kept inside the vehicle.




  4. #19
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by ramos View Post
    Looks nice man. But come on, all that fab work everywhere else and you use q forms ?
    at the price, the radio station needed to save a little money, lol.




  5. #20
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    a few more:













  6. #21
    bkjt05's Avatar
    bkjt05 is offline I love Car Audio



    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Omaha, Ne
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    cool, i cant wait to glass my ranger! **** cold weather!

    truck looks good! nice work!




  7. #22
    Gearstix's Avatar
    Gearstix is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Age
    21
    Posts
    818
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    What is the Recoil brand? Never heard of them or the 'hooker' products.



    Quote Originally Posted by stuckinok View Post
    Mach 5 is the **** and dont let the low price fool you. I hated Canada until I used Mach 5 products.

  8. #23
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Gearstix View Post
    What is the Recoil brand? Never heard of them or the 'hooker' products.
    The Hooker brand is a great top know wire and accessory brand, way above most out there. The Recoil was a new brand we picked up. The recoil amps outdid the subs. Had issues keeping the subs from toasting. The line was ok.




  9. #24
    Nismofreak's Avatar
    Nismofreak is offline VIP *****es



    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    ATL
    Posts
    1,191
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Does recoil have a site?




  10. #25
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by Nismofreak View Post
    Does recoil have a site?
    i dont believe so. I dealt with the Recoil rep at the time. Like i said, ok product. I liked the amps, and i really liked the component sets, but the subs really needed some work. We were the first to do a complete demo vehicle. I really tested them hard. The amps were just too much for the woofers.




  11. #26
    IDSkoT's Avatar
    IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular



    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Miami, Florida
    Posts
    6,274
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by dman View Post
    now, there is nothing wrong with a cap. Whoever told you that must be a novice, and antually they are just sitting in the door, they actually were installed in the box behind one of the amps, and there were 2. Everything was kept inside the vehicle.



    Two things wrong...
    A cap is not bad. However, how caps function are often inefficient and unfeasible. Let me put it in retrospect... Farads are a unit of power storage... An average capacitor for car audio is 1-10 farads. (10 being extremely expensive.) To put it in view...
    The farad formula is C = Q/E, where the legend is C = Farads, Q = coulombs, and E being volts.

    Plugging in all the numbers:

    1 = Q/12
    12 = Q

    Since coulomb can most easily be defined as the flow of 1 amperes per second...
    That makes it 12 Amperes / second.

    Now, @ 12 volts, 12 * 12 = 144 watts. (168 watts @ 14 volts)

    While 168 watts is decent, as is 144...
    Think of a Battery... A regular AA battery stores nearly 11 thousand Farads.
    ELEVEN THOUSAND FARADS.
    Last time I checked, that was ELEVEN THOUSAND times more than an average capacitor.

    And that's just a double A battery.

    And, yes. Capacitors were designed to release energy in small jolts. This would make sense if the original source of power was not already a battery, which has a slower discharge rate. But even still, the main source of power is from the alternator, while the excess is pulled from the battery. Multiple batteries allow for more farads to flow, and will be able to conduct more amperes (or farads) than a battery and an average capacitor.

    However, a good use for a Capacitor is to cancel out DC-current ripple. (The whole 'fill in the valleys and shave off the peaks' deal.)

    But, for what the customer is buying it for, there's a better alternative. Batcap (I believe 800 series) are tiny. Nearly the size of a larger capacitor.


    And Plumber's strap?! That's just tacky.



    Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

    Feedback Thread

    Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )



  12. #27
    helotr3vor's Avatar
    helotr3vor is offline CarAudio.com Elite



    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Irvine, CA
    Posts
    809
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    34 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    wow way to make mine look like **** haha :P



    Audi A4 2.0T Premium 2010
    Lots of stuff coming...
    New build log

  13. #28
    Tallc's Avatar
    Tallc is offline Supporting Vendor Tallc is a Supporting Member of the forum!

    Threadstarter
    Tallc is a Supporting Vendor of the forum!

    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    tx
    Posts
    1,185
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by IDSkoT View Post
    Two things wrong...
    A cap is not bad. However, how caps function are often inefficient and unfeasible. Let me put it in retrospect... Farads are a unit of power storage... An average capacitor for car audio is 1-10 farads. (10 being extremely expensive.) To put it in view...
    The farad formula is C = Q/E, where the legend is C = Farads, Q = coulombs, and E being volts.

    Plugging in all the numbers:

    1 = Q/12
    12 = Q

    Since coulomb can most easily be defined as the flow of 1 amperes per second...
    That makes it 12 Amperes / second.

    Now, @ 12 volts, 12 * 12 = 144 watts. (168 watts @ 14 volts)

    While 168 watts is decent, as is 144...
    Think of a Battery... A regular AA battery stores nearly 11 thousand Farads.
    ELEVEN THOUSAND FARADS.
    Last time I checked, that was ELEVEN THOUSAND times more than an average capacitor.

    And that's just a double A battery.

    And, yes. Capacitors were designed to release energy in small jolts. This would make sense if the original source of power was not already a battery, which has a slower discharge rate. But even still, the main source of power is from the alternator, while the excess is pulled from the battery. Multiple batteries allow for more farads to flow, and will be able to conduct more amperes (or farads) than a battery and an average capacitor.

    However, a good use for a Capacitor is to cancel out DC-current ripple. (The whole 'fill in the valleys and shave off the peaks' deal.)

    But, for what the customer is buying it for, there's a better alternative. Batcap (I believe 800 series) are tiny. Nearly the size of a larger capacitor.


    And Plumber's strap?! That's just tacky.

    tacky, lol.....the most widely used part in our wonderful industry. So lets lay it simple. Ive been custom installing since 86, wow over 22yrs. Have my own business, and its my install, and caps are just fine....Sure we had approx 10-12 cap killers in stock (kinetik) if you dont know....But lets look at the big picture. Since i am one of the best in DFW (im not ashamed to admit it, LOL). And my shop was chosen and i was chosen to do this install.....And Hooker was a key player, and they insisted i use ALL their products, hell im not gonna argue, i like the money. Not to mention they dont make batteries, LOL...So in a nutshell, if you dont like my install, stay the hell out of my post. This is posted up for people to enjoy, and to see a top to bottom install, so they can have some ideas, etc. and for all to enjoy.




  14. #29
    bones22's Avatar
    bones22 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran



    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    in my house
    Posts
    8,193
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    5
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    very clean install looks great




  15. #30
    ramos's Avatar
    ramos is offline Still learning



    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Virginia
    Age
    49
    Posts
    10,329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    8
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    104 Post(s)

    Re: a little fun on a ford truck

    Quote Originally Posted by theking View Post
    ohhh nooo a cap

    haha

    also if u have one take a pic or post a pic of the back side of the q forms are they opened on the back side or sealed


    Q forms are open on the back, and meant to seal tight to the carpet in your vehicle.



    5 % equipment
    90 % install
    5% beer

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

User Tag List

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may edit your posts
1e2 Forum