Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: Box build for my 12'' BL

boomzilla is offline Got 'Roids?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box build for my 12'' BL

Started the build yesterday, got most of it done. All I need to do is get another smaller sheet of mdf to finish the top. My first aeroport box, so i'm hoping it sounds decent atleast. I need a router and I know this, so please dont say ''router motherfvcker, do you own one?'' because I obviously don't have one. BTW it's a 2.5 cubic foot box with two 4'' pvc round ports, and braced with 1'' dowels.

Edit: Finally got it done, all glued, screwed, and siliconed for a good seal and bond. Will be covered in water-proof coating and maybe texture painted or Rhino Lined. That will be a little later though and in another thread.

Anyways, on to the pics! (Not entirely in order)

All the sides put up already, except the top. made a brace for the ends of the pvc aero's.

Another shot, they're 2' long, so I have rougly 30-32hz, using PSP's port calculator

Painted the aero's flat black (In the pics it's not finished yet, but they are now.)

Bracing, it was hard to brace front to back because of the ports, but I guess these will have to suffice where they are, because I ran out of the dowel rods anyways.

How it will go in the trunk, which it slides in like buckin futter. Thanks Rashaddd!

Got the wires in, and made some disconnects incase I need to remove the box and not have to dig for an allen wrench for the amp screws. (The ends on the inside of the PVC ports are all painted now, completely inside but not outside)

More pics after I do more work, but feel free to comment on anything I may have done wrong or if you have questions.

Edit: I've also made an amprack for my ZX1000.1, i'll post up later too.
    Last edited by boomzilla; 10-07-2008 at 03:46 PM.

- 12'' Fi BL Fully Loaded - 2.2 cu. ft. box @ 35hz - 29 sq. in. of port - Stinger SPV 44 - Us Amps Merlin MD3D @ 2ohm - 5.25'' PG RSD Components - Big 3 in Hyperflex 1/0 - Pioneer DEH-3000IB - 140 sq. ft. of Stinger Roadkill Expert
    Refs: Slam, Ridinhi, Blados, Pioneerpimp, Kowboy

Mexar is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: Box build for my 12'' BL

I'd be really careful with those spade bit crimp on's as disconnects, unless they fit really tight, and I'd check 'em every so often. If they get loose just take a pair of pliers and crimp the side down tighter then slide 'em back together!

Car : 1992 Civic CX Hatchback (Turquoise)
    HU : Kenwood Excelon (Front USB!!)
    Amp(s) : Deck for speakers, Crossfire VR2000 (Soon to be 2!!)
    Sub(s) : Premier TS W2000spl X2
    Speakers : Premier 6.5" 2-way REV Series Coaxial fronts, Premier 6X9 3-way rear

Quoted from Youtube "... ur beta off getin an audiobahn amp or sumin wid true power and snd quality. "

Immacomputer is offline Cloud disappear

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just so you know, those are not aero ports. Those are round PVC ports and they don't have the benefit that aero ports have because the ends are not flared.

Video 1
    I may make you feel but I can't make you think.
    Your sperm's in the gutter -- your love's in the sink.
    Video 2

Pioneer~Saturn is offline Dr. Enclosure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Not bad. Lookin good

<First and only dual-alternator 'real' Saturn (pre 2002) on the planet>
    Team Concepts, Team Shok Industries Team XS Power
    Soon: Mystery subs + AQ20k
    12.75 cubes net ~25Hz tuning 200 sq inches of port (lowz?)
    AC position- 250 amp alt
    Stock alt position- 225 amp alt
    (2) XS Power D3100's
    4 power+ 4 ground runs of 1/0-gauge to rear
    152.1 @ 40Hz legal, certified...just getting started.

dwright27 is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    Just so you know, those are not aero ports. Those are round PVC ports and they don't have the benefit that aero ports have because the ends are not flared.
    who cares??

its still a aero port because its not a slot port.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Immacomputer View Post
    Ok. I knew they didnt have the benefit as being flared, but I though they were the same basically. Thanks for the info though.

- 12'' Fi BL Fully Loaded - 2.2 cu. ft. box @ 35hz - 29 sq. in. of port - Stinger SPV 44 - Us Amps Merlin MD3D @ 2ohm - 5.25'' PG RSD Components - Big 3 in Hyperflex 1/0 - Pioneer DEH-3000IB - 140 sq. ft. of Stinger Roadkill Expert

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Mexar View Post
    I'd be really careful with those spade bit crimp on's as disconnects, unless they fit really tight, and I'd check 'em every so often. If they get loose just take a pair of pliers and crimp the side down tighter then slide 'em back together!
    They're tight, I pushed them together till they made a snap noise, then I did the crimp thing to the male connector afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer~Saturn View Post
    Not bad. Lookin good
    Thanks! I really need a table saw and a router though, this could be **** if I had the tools.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Here's the amp rack I made a last month:
    Kinda wanted to make the amp look like its floating, but I wanted to make it look clean and have room for a battery later.
    Front

Switch to turn the amp on and the distro block

Side, and some wires all tucked behind the rack

I'll have the rest of the box done tonight if it doesn't rain.
    Last edited by boomzilla; 10-07-2008 at 10:14 AM.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bah Florida's rain FTL.

Looks like i'll be finishing the box tomorrow.

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i can't see routering 1/8" (if that) off of a pvc to make "a flare" is going to help... its gonna have little to no effect

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

Pioneer~Saturn is offline Dr. Enclosure

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by boomzilla View Post
    Thanks! I really need a table saw and a router though, this could be **** if I had the tools.
    I can't ever go back to not having either....those were what I refer to as the 'dark ages' of enclosure making

Once you have them you will never want to make a box without them again

<First and only dual-alternator 'real' Saturn (pre 2002) on the planet>
    Team Concepts, Team Shok Industries Team XS Power
    Soon: Mystery subs + AQ20k
    12.75 cubes net ~25Hz tuning 200 sq inches of port (lowz?)
    AC position- 250 amp alt
    Stock alt position- 225 amp alt
    (2) XS Power D3100's
    4 power+ 4 ground runs of 1/0-gauge to rear
    152.1 @ 40Hz legal, certified...just getting started.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778 View Post
    i can't see routering 1/8" (if that) off of a pvc to make "a flare" is going to help... its gonna have little to no effect
    I know, I asked though to see about port noise and some said it's hard to work with pvc and some said just go with PSP's ports, but i'm broke and figured i'd try it.
    I just wish I had the router for making circles and edgerounding, aswell as flushing since I don't have a table saw.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pioneer~Saturn View Post
    I can't ever go back to not having either....those were what I refer to as the 'dark ages' of enclosure making

Once you have them you will never want to make a box without them again
    I'm sure, I miss my woodshop days in highschool, the shop had everything I need now, and I loved being able to make stuff look professional lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

More pics are coming later in the day, just picked up the last MDF sheet i'll need.
    I hope this thing sounds decent, if it does i'll try making a vid

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Just got everything finished for now, only got to listen to it for a few with the car off, and man, I'm confident this box is the best one i've made so far. On volume 15-20 it shakes things, as before I had to get to volume 30 for the same sound (I built the old box off of RE's calculator, which i'm positive is off). Will make a vid soon, i'm busy cleaning up the garage and the house.

Anyways, does anyone know of any way to water-proof my box? I have some small leaks in my trunk and I don't know where they're coming from.

EDIT: Finally got to drive around and hear it, and the lows are amazing now. I now see what everyone means by the BL having killer low end response, and I love it.
    Last edited by boomzilla; 10-07-2008 at 03:37 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast