Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Reload Thread: '98 Neon R/T kinda SQ build.

JayinMI is offline Member

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: '98 Neon R/T kinda SQ build.

Nope. No fans. I did a similar setup in my first Neon, except the whole inside of the seat was built out of 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. And it was enclosed on 5 sides. My MTX amps only overheated once, and it was when I was stuck in traffic for a toxic cleanup on the freeway. 2.5 Hrs, 95+ degree weather, car did not have A/C and I was beating the **** out of it. My JL's run cooler than my MTX's did. I don't anticipate a problem. Also, the area above the amps and below the amps is open, so there should be room for heat to escape. If I encounter a problem, I'll do something about it then.

Jay
    Last edited by JayinMI; 10-07-2008 at 10:39 AM.

MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JayinMI View Post
    Nope. No fans. I did a similar setup in my first Neon, except the whole inside of the seat was built out of 1/2 and 3/4 MDF. And it was enclosed on 5 sides. My MTX amps only overheated once, and it was when I was stuck in traffic for a toxic cleanup on the freeway. 2.5 Hrs, 95+ degree weather, car did not have A/C and I was beating the **** out of it. My JL's run cooler than my MTX's did. I don't anticipate a problem. Also, the area above the amps and below the amps is open, so there should be room for meat heat to escape. If I encounter a problem, I'll do something about it then.

Jay
    Yeah Im sure they will be fine. I dont see you having any problems in the future.

Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Oh, and the MTX that shut down was a 2150X running bridged at 2.67 ohms. Well Below it's 4 ohm rated use.

Jay

liljojo4711 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

haha, nice. sounds good then. i think im going to do something similar because i have a mustang and basically zero room for anything in the trunk lol.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah. Just don't do this:

I worked on a guys car once. It was a Mustang coupe, 95ish, IIRC...that body style anyway. He had our shop install a speaker level to RCA converter so he could keep his factory radio. He went home and installed his amp and subs and came back pissed as hell...his stuff wasn't working. It must be *my* fault because I didn't install the converter correctly! (Yeah, I'm the professional installer with like 10 years experience... Pretty sure I can handle a converter install)

I open his drivers door to bring it in to check it out...of course, power wire through the door jam...under the hood -- no fuse at the battery.

Open the trunk (kinda curious how he got 2 12's in there...) and saw that he had cut up his old dual 12 box and DUCT TAPED THE THING BACK TOGETHER! AND for his ground, he unscrewed on of the plastic things that holds the trunk net, put his ring around the stud ON TO THE CARPET and then screwed the PLASTIC thing back on...

I brought him back, pointed out all his mistakes and sent him on his merry way...and laughed my *** of for weeks afterwards about that...

Jay

MikeyB is offline CarAudio.com Addict

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

^ Wow, what a ****tard lol

Refs- hessdawg, Pepsifiend69, iltoivfe, ownage9, lifted95blaze, Buckshot, da box king, Po.Sic, baseballer1100, vetkilr, dkguitarist, Queball, qtipextra, LaserRed38, 350_regal, RidnClean, BushJ311 and a bunch more...

ghart999 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I want that enclosure to make love to me.

HU: Alpine IDA-X100
    Comps: Seas W18NX and LCY 110 Ribbons
    Comp Amp: Arc Audio xxk4150 and xxk2050
    Subs: (2) RL-P 12's
    Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ-1500D
    Misc: Epicenter and Navone Line Drivers
    Electrical: Red Top, 200A Alt, Battcap 800

liljojo4711 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

wow that is rediculous. i know what im doin though. this is probably my 5-6th system but they were all just really basic. im lookin to try out some of my skills for this one.

dsblk93gt is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

looks sweet! nice job!

PIONEER DEH-59001B
    PG RSD 5cs front
    PG RSD 570 rear
    MTX 240 & 280 (old school!)
    JL 10W3v2 D2 in JL H.O. bandpass

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Got the sub hooked up today, it sounds OK. I've never been a big fan of FG boxes for sound, but it sounds OK and looks cool. I think in Spring I might sell it and do 10's inside my rear side panels. We'll see.

I scratched my amp rack hooking up the 500/1 ( ) and realized why painted glass may not be the best idea for a DD. Oh well...I figured this would happen, so this gives me winter to see how it holds up.

I ran my 1/0 Kicker Hyperflex back, distro'd to 4ga hyperflex.
    I used the only RCA I had -- a 4 channel Tsunami twisted pair setup I got for $8 at Circuit cause it was a closeout.

Later on it will get Monster RCA's and probably some KNU wire.
    The Kicker wire didn't cost me anything (shop scraps) so I'm OK with replacing it.

Jay

Ellsworthz is offline 98' firebird, sleeper ftw

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Looks really clean man, you do this for a job?

That would be ******.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I guess you could say I'm on hiatus. I've been installing for about 15 years now.
    I got fired from my last job as an installation manager because I would rather work on cars than do paperwork. I think the next time I get into doing this, I'm just going to do it on the side. Then I can use someone elses budget and work on cars I want to work on.

Jay

Proximity is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

That's an awesome amprack. I did some almost similar when I had my neon, except it was only about 5% as cool.

Great work all around

Brian_smith06 is offline I got a pan, I got a plan

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

that is some grade A work. i really want to do a fiberglass box in rear quarter panel too but i do not have any fiberglass experience

2004 Cavalier ls sport
    H/U: Alpine W200 w/H701 processor
    Mid/Highs: 2 pairs ID x65 and full body ultra horns
    Mid/High amp: 3 ID 700.2
    Sub:2x12" IDMax
    Sub amp: ID 1200.1
    ref: massiveaudiocw, SplChoice, Th3pWn3r, duece212, XaznKewLguyX, connersdad19, alex5857, 5.3bowtie, smiley2186, cf2004, Tibor, Zeuslicious, IT Hertz, 310w6,dbeez, thehardknoxlife, matthewo, pokey_159, LaserRed38, jerseyboy, Abc123Abc, James Bang

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is my third Neon (tho I only owned one for two weeks before some douchebag stole it) and I've had amps mounted in the seats in 2 of the three. My first one had a false floor with a round Solo 12 in the well, sony 4 channel in front of it under a false floor, rockford Punch 100iX in the seat on one side and a cap on the other side.

Later on I rebuild the rear seat out of MDF and had my MTX 4300x and 2150x in there (with 3 10" kicker free airs on the rear deck)

Honestly, this is the nicest looking setup I've had in a Neon. I had an 05 Colorado that I never finished, but to me it sounded awesome...I hope my Neon sounds as good one day.

Jay

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast