Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: 18" FI Q Installed

Snow90 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 18" FI Q Installed

shouldn't bass level on the headunit be all the way up? And whats the volume on the headunit at?

jmanpc is offline CA.com Nostalgist.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

is the sub unplugged? where are you measuring at? you sure you're on VAC?

2007 Red Ford Focus ZX4 SE
    - Clarion DXZ955MC -
    - MB Quart RSD216 - 2 MB Quart RWE-354 in 4 cubic feet sealed -
    - MB Quart DSC4125 - Audiopipe AP1500.1D - Optima Blue Top -

Team High Sexage

dman4486 is offline Paid to Post

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

make sure you are reading vac not vdc

Auto: 96 honda passport 3.2L v6 4X4 5sp
    Big 3 pics--THE MAV--THE RSD's--MY VLX
    Rices Creek Pics

Refs: Sold to; lilmaniac2, alexdbest2000, jshak07 Bought from; CJL

miker is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Ugly *** box..

And yeah, use a DMM to see how far up you have to turn it to read "full rated power"

Then go from there by ear..

REFS:
    Sold to- Sky Deaner, Jeeper07, brazilianguy, bjl95mustang, Mr Wiggl3s, Ridinhi (x2), Pootie

Bought from- kurtdirt1, jmanpc, doingstuffwell

Traded with- DaGhost, Spooney

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow90 View Post
    shouldn't bass level on the headunit be all the way up? And whats the volume on the headunit at?
    No.

Check your EQ settings, and other settings on HU to make sure you have a powerful enough signal. But either way, gain is input sensitive so it shouldn't matter. I have my 50hz at -5 on my HU, to adjust for crappy stock speakers, and only had to turn my gain up a tiny bit.

Something is very wrong, 3.6 is nothing voltage wise.

Previous:
    Sub: 15" Mag in Fisher Customs 3.5@32
    Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ1500
    Wire: KnuKonceptz Big 3 in 1/0. Kicker 1/0 Kit to back

Current:
    College

REFS: Speedyd718, assman, Lingerfelt, duece212, Raid3r89

snb778 is offline blaugh!!!!

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

alright... well as you can see from the posts above I was havin some problems with the numbers my DMM was reading, so I called the guys at HiFonics and talked to an engineer there, and he said that setting 1 amp to 1 sub with a DMM is pointless... said just to play the 50Hz test tone, and adjust it by ear until it doesnt get any louder/story.

I also told him that many people on this forum were telling me I had to do it with a DMM to do it properly... he said, "Yea we have been getting a lot of calls in the last year with people asking the same question, I don't know why so many people all of a sudden think you have to use a DMM. A DMM should be used only when you have multiple amps, or you have multiple amps linked so they put out the same amount of power"

take it for what you will..

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

2 Pistol Shrimps in a 4.0 cu^ft box tuned to 32 hz for the WIN !!

"You can't compare, don't stare, cause I got the ultimate Mary Jane"

StillLearnin11 is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I had my 18" Q on about 1100rms and I thought it was pretty **** loud... Broke 140's easily for music... Gotta be the gains or something.

miker is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Umm, since the gain is input sensitive as stated above, I'm pretty sure that a DMM is a very helpful tool in setting the gain.

I don't use one to set my gain just to guide my setting it.

REFS:
    Sold to- Sky Deaner, Jeeper07, brazilianguy, bjl95mustang, Mr Wiggl3s, Ridinhi (x2), Pootie

Bought from- kurtdirt1, jmanpc, doingstuffwell

Traded with- DaGhost, Spooney

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i think im just gonna do it be ear

edit: well i have to cause the DMM wasnt acting right

Refs: Projectpat, XylerB, decipha, blados, protonman, Wlmrs, Nucleareskimo, gl0ck, mobeious, JBizzle (picked up box) mlstrass (box design) Mazzasec (bought 18" RD Alpha from him) SKMFKR: Traded subs Wrenchguy: Sold 18" Q to him. psychoacoustics: bought some bullet horn tweets from him Shinju: bought some 0awg wire from him. Sold a box and 18" HDC318 to chitown_impala. Bought my 2 custom 15's from 99Vic on steave meade forum. NJTStang11- picked up 18" SSX and box from him krispy cream SCAMMED ME $200!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778 View Post
    alright... well as you can see from the posts above I was havin some problems with the numbers my DMM was reading, so I called the guys at HiFonics and talked to an engineer there, and he said that setting 1 amp to 1 sub with a DMM is pointless... said just to play the 50Hz test tone, and adjust it by ear until it doesnt get any louder/story.

I also told him that many people on this forum were telling me I had to do it with a DMM to do it properly... he said, "Yea we have been getting a lot of calls in the last year with people asking the same question, I don't know why so many people all of a sudden think you have to use a DMM. A DMM should be used only when you have multiple amps, or you have multiple amps linked so they put out the same amount of power"

Again, not everyone on here says "you MUST use a DMM!!!" But if we do, we say that because most brand new noobs, who don't use a DMM, will just turn up their gain to the highest and blow their subs. Telling NOOBS to use a DMM insures they don't blow their subs. We say that for your and their sakes, not because we think you have to do it. I have set every sub I've owned by ear and have been fine.

If you can't get your DMM to read...did you say 63 volts? Then something is wrong. That should be your starting point. Set with a DMM to 63 volts on a 50 hz tone, then change to music (Hypnotize, blueberry yumyum, etc.) and maybe turn the gain up a tiny bit more. Until where it sounds good, before clipping, and before the sub is bottoming out or anything.

Previous:
    Sub: 15" Mag in Fisher Customs 3.5@32
    Sub Amp: Sundown SAZ1500
    Wire: KnuKonceptz Big 3 in 1/0. Kicker 1/0 Kit to back

Current:
    College

REFS: Speedyd718, assman, Lingerfelt, duece212, Raid3r89

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I have never used a DMM and always went by ear. I have blown subs and have had subs last for years. So............

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

SSS 18734 is offline Dollar Menu Millionaire

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by snb778 View Post

I usually set them with a DMM just to be sure the gain is set correctly.

But I have found that when I set by ear the gain knob usually ends up in the exact same spot that it does with the DMM.

Bought From:
    Absolutnockout, zachzchw, Untouchable11, j3bus2k3 (x2), 92c1v1c, jeeper07, acubsfan, bkjt05, Goldenknob, Goindef154, Basscourt2009, TeamSouthrnBass, oldschoolboomer, 99grandprixGT
    Sold to:
    Gearguy2001 (American Bass SQ780)
    Tw1st3d13 (2 Fi BL 15's)

robinson,jerry is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

sounds like you need some help b4 you mess things up, just because the gain is half way dosent mean your getting half the amp power

kovemaster559 is offline Official LOW BALLER!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
    I have never used a DMM and always went by ear. I have blown subs and have had subs last for years. So............
    x2 . dmm is cool but , when it comes down to it , as long as it sounds good and not cliping . then its good

MYSPACEhttp://www.myspace.com/eargasm559
    MY FEEDBACKhttp://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...96#post4669596
    PM ME IF YOU NEED CUSTOM WORK DONE FOR YOU(E.I, DOOR PODS, PANNELS, KICK PODS, anything FiberGLASS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'd just like to be able to do it the right way...with a DMM, but for whatever reason it isnt reading like it should.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast