Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

I know I will take some flak but I just got step 1 of 5 done in my install, and for me it was a big step. I decided a while back I wanted to run a computer in the truck and got all the components, and at the same time wanted to keep a standard HU to control the audio and radio and keep things simple. This required moving around a bunch of things in the dash to make room for the 10.4" screen and finding a home for the HU. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, and hopefully the rest of the progress will come along a bit quicker.

Here is how everything looked before I started messing with it.

Here is how it looks now...

I am going to have to take it out again to finish up a bunch of wiring and may do some touch up, but for now it works and gives me some tunes again and the open space in the dash to put the 10.4" screen and other stuff.

Progress pics.

Earliest progress pic that I have.

I had made the rough shape out of some cardboard hot glued together and then wrapped in aluminum foil to get the basic shape, then covered it in a layer of FG, then I added in the single din trim ring (trimmed down.) After that I added 2 more layers of fiberglass mat. I think it ended up being about 4 or 5 layers all in total.

All components in and getting close to finishing up the structure and moving on to sanding and getting it ready to finish.The black plastic on the left is for the factory upfitter switches, and the hole on the right is a place to put the trailer brake controller.

The form out of the mold wasn't completely perfect, mostly on the sides, so I wrapped the factory dash piece in aluminum foil got the new piece located and temporarily mounted, then dribbled some resin in around the edges to pick up the true shape of the dash.

Skip ahead to some bondo and lots of sanding, and its starting to look like its going to come out half way decent. Not too bad for my first time ever touching fiberglass.

Next step was to move the heater controls from up in the dash to the lower cubby spot. This wasn't too hard since the controls were digital and the wiring harness would stretch to the new spot. Took a bit of dremel work to get enough room and pull it out far enough to be easily visible.

Fine product doesn't look too bad, I most certainly could have finished it a bit better and I may do some more filling/sanding on some spots but from a distance and without them being pointed out its not disgusting.

Next step is going to be the amp rack, I am the first steps built and the design pretty much complete. Nothing fancy but pretty much zero room to work with and I want it to look somewhat decent, and getting 2 amps 2 massive crossovers and the computer parts along the back wall is proving to be a little tricky.

Remaining components to install:
    10.4" screen
    Sundown 1500D
    Sundown 100.4
    Polk SR6500 components
    Computer guts
    Lots of wiring (power wire done so far)
    Subs, 2 SI Mags when they come out.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

There is next to nothing for room behind the back seat, but just enough to make something for the amps and other items. Maybe someday I could get some subs here but I doubt it.

These used to stick out 1" on the bottom, but after some massaging with the dremel they are an even 3/4" all around

This is the back wall for the amp rack, the 3/4" runners will keep it spaced out from the back wall of the truck to avoid the cab vents.

I really wish there was more room back here

Now it finally starts to look like something.

Last edited by jdc753; 07-08-2008 at 09:59 AM.

-Work in Progress-

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Glad I was using Kicker 1/0 cause I'm not sure another wire would be flexible enough to make these bends.

Fishing some of the wires around behind the computer area, trying to keep things as clean as I can.

Now all I need to do is finish up the wiring, still need to by a few pieces of wire to get it all finished up, and get the computer components all mounted up. After that just finish the cover panel that will flush everything in and carpet it. Then I can move onto running the rest of the wires in the truck.
    Last edited by jdc753; 07-08-2008 at 10:00 AM.

-Work in Progress-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Reserved for sub box build and install.

Teaser pics

Should hold 2 12" mags sealed off in between the front seats replacing the center jump seat. while keeping the console/seatback above it. If this doesn't work out I may switch to some IDQ10's or a single 12. Toying with the idea of a single 15" aimed directly at the back seats for the fun of it but I doubt I will. Or attempt 4 of the new SI BM's along the back wall, going to need to fiberglass the back and floor to get the mounting depth and move the amps and computer to under the rear seat.

Other ideas I toyed with, 3 tens, but takes up pretty much 100% of the tranny tunnel area.
    Last edited by jdc753; 07-01-2008 at 10:55 AM.

-Work in Progress-

Low_e_Red is offline MECP First Class

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

This is GORGEOUS! Nice choice on the drivers . And I like how you are setting up that amp rack. Plus, not bad for the first time with glass.

I cant wait for the rest of the build.

SPL is one note... SQ is a flat 20-20.
    If ported, always tune to CRF 33Hz... aka the Golden Number
    Refs: F150Truck'in, 6spdcoupe, Brypink, Bartak1, Forklift, na_rsx and a few others.

bumpin buick is offline Science is everything

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

not to bash your work but that dash attachment you made looks crooked, is that just the pics or is it a little crooked?

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/305521-official-bumpin-buick-feedback-thread.html

kovemaster559 is offline Official LOW BALLER!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

dam great job!

MYSPACEhttp://www.myspace.com/eargasm559
    MY FEEDBACKhttp://www.caraudio.com/forum/showth...96#post4669596
    PM ME IF YOU NEED CUSTOM WORK DONE FOR YOU(E.I, DOOR PODS, PANNELS, KICK PODS, anything FiberGLASS

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the compliments guys. I can't wait to hear these speakers and get things finished up.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    not to bash your work but that dash attachment you made looks crooked, is that just the pics or is it a little crooked?
    I'm pretty sure its just the pic, but I am gonna double check it with a level and tape measure. It's looking like a built up one side with a bit too much bondo/glass and it didn't sit in perfectly. I ended up rushing when I attached the glass piece to the dash panel Don't worry about the bashing or criticism, I'm sure there will be more, least I can do is try and make it better from the comments. Hopefully practice makes perfect lol.

EDIT: Just looked back again and now I remember whats up with it. I couldn't get the trim ring to snap in right, didn't wanna break it, but I got it snapped in good now. Its sticking out a little on the right hand side that clip didn't wanna go in. You can see it sticking out in the upper right corner on the last pic. Dang it lol

-Work in Progress-

duece212 is offline Buddy Christ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Lookin good man

mil81 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nicely done man. That is going to be an amazing setup.

Be glad you have that much room behind your seat. I have nothing at all. I don't have a hope in hell of making a cool looking setup. I do plan to do the computer one day, but I don't think I have enough room for the 10.4" screen either. I think I have to go with the 7".

That piece for the HU looks great too. You did an amazing job moving stuff around. I'll definately be looking at these when it comes time to do mine.

bumpin buick is offline Science is everything

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Thanks for the compliments guys. I can't wait to hear these speakers and get things finished up.

I'm pretty sure its just the pic, but I am gonna double check it with a level and tape measure. It's looking like a built up one side with a bit too much bondo/glass and it didn't sit in perfectly. I ended up rushing when I attached the glass piece to the dash panel Don't worry about the bashing or criticism, I'm sure there will be more, least I can do is try and make it better from the comments. Hopefully practice makes perfect lol.

EDIT: Just looked back again and now I remember whats up with it. I couldn't get the trim ring to snap in right, didn't wanna break it, but I got it snapped in good now. Its sticking out a little on the right hand side that clip didn't wanna go in. You can see it sticking out in the upper right corner on the last pic. Dang it lol

kool, yeah nothing against your work it is very nice for a first time glass job. Just looked a little crooked but good to hear you got it fixed and keep up the nice work. BTW nice truck

http://www.caraudio.com/forums/buyer-seller-feedback/305521-official-bumpin-buick-feedback-thread.html

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by duece212 View Post
    Lookin good man
    Thanks man, won't be as big as yours or as loud but sadly you got me almost thinking of ripping out my rear seat and building a crazy setup to listen to for a few months.

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    Nicely done man. That is going to be an amazing setup.

Be glad you have that much room behind your seat. I have nothing at all. I don't have a hope in hell of making a cool looking setup. I do plan to do the computer one day, but I don't think I have enough room for the 10.4" screen either. I think I have to go with the 7".

That piece for the HU looks great too. You did an amazing job moving stuff around. I'll definately be looking at these when it comes time to do mine.
    Thanks I'm looking forward to seeing what you get in there. I'm sure the 7" will be more than enough. Took me almost 3 months of racking my brain and taking measurements in my spare time before I settled on this setup. Might be able to find some nook where you can squeeze stuff in on your truck.

Quote Originally Posted by bumpin buick View Post
    kool, yeah nothing against your work it is very nice for a first time glass job. Just looked a little crooked but good to hear you got it fixed and keep up the nice work. BTW nice truck
    It's good to get comments like that, keeps me on my toes and will keep my trying harder next time around. I honestly was worried the entire time that the thing was gonna turn out like crap being my first time and all and then rushing to put the thing in. Thanks for the compliments too.

-Work in Progress-

mil81 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks I'm looking forward to seeing what you get in there. I'm sure the 7" will be more than enough. Took me almost 3 months of racking my brain and taking measurements in my spare time before I settled on this setup. Might be able to find some nook where you can squeeze stuff in on your truck.
    Well, now you got me going, and low and behold, the boss is sick today. You know what that means. The truck is coming into the shop. Won't get much done, but hopefully I can plan out the frame for the sub box.

I will be able to put all my stuff in here, but the amps have to go under the front seats, and they don't fit all that well. I just wish I could do a nice amp rack like you are doing. That is my normal type setup. But I guess it's all the better for the girlfriend. She gets all the crazy stuff since I can't do it to my truck.

Nice shop by the way. Wish I had that nice floor in mine. Mine's pretty eaten up. I could use that snap-on box, and little tractor too. LOL.

So, when is the next step for your setup. I'm looking forward to more pictures, and progress.

probmxstyle is offline The Well Dressed OG

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Nice work, your going to love those comps

H/U: Pioneer Z1
    Front stage: Polk SR6500
    Front stage amp: Kicker SX500.2
    Acc: Kicker SXRC network controller
    Subs: MTX 9512-44
    Sub Amp:MTX TE1501D
    Battery: Optima yellow top
    Sound Dampening: Dynamat extreme

Refs: LopezEL, PatFitz9, iamamp3pimp, nismos14, ctcsoft, negativezeroz, BigOso, LegendaryLemon, Pickler,86svo, chrisw91,gixxer9

duece212 is offline Buddy Christ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thanks man, won't be as big as yours or as loud but sadly you got me almost thinking of ripping out my rear seat and building a crazy setup to listen to for a few months.
    Back seats can go back in the same way they come out...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Tag List