I know I will take some flak but I just got step 1 of 5 done in my install, and for me it was a big step. I decided a while back I wanted to run a computer in the truck and got all the components, and at the same time wanted to keep a standard HU to control the audio and radio and keep things simple. This required moving around a bunch of things in the dash to make room for the 10.4" screen and finding a home for the HU. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves, and hopefully the rest of the progress will come along a bit quicker.
Here is how everything looked before I started messing with it.
Here is how it looks now...
I am going to have to take it out again to finish up a bunch of wiring and may do some touch up, but for now it works and gives me some tunes again and the open space in the dash to put the 10.4" screen and other stuff.
Earliest progress pic that I have.
I had made the rough shape out of some cardboard hot glued together and then wrapped in aluminum foil to get the basic shape, then covered it in a layer of FG, then I added in the single din trim ring (trimmed down.) After that I added 2 more layers of fiberglass mat. I think it ended up being about 4 or 5 layers all in total.
All components in and getting close to finishing up the structure and moving on to sanding and getting it ready to finish.The black plastic on the left is for the factory upfitter switches, and the hole on the right is a place to put the trailer brake controller.
The form out of the mold wasn't completely perfect, mostly on the sides, so I wrapped the factory dash piece in aluminum foil got the new piece located and temporarily mounted, then dribbled some resin in around the edges to pick up the true shape of the dash.
Skip ahead to some bondo and lots of sanding, and its starting to look like its going to come out half way decent. Not too bad for my first time ever touching fiberglass.
Next step was to move the heater controls from up in the dash to the lower cubby spot. This wasn't too hard since the controls were digital and the wiring harness would stretch to the new spot. Took a bit of dremel work to get enough room and pull it out far enough to be easily visible.
Fine product doesn't look too bad, I most certainly could have finished it a bit better and I may do some more filling/sanding on some spots but from a distance and without them being pointed out its not disgusting.
Next step is going to be the amp rack, I am the first steps built and the design pretty much complete. Nothing fancy but pretty much zero room to work with and I want it to look somewhat decent, and getting 2 amps 2 massive crossovers and the computer parts along the back wall is proving to be a little tricky.
Remaining components to install:
Polk SR6500 components
Lots of wiring (power wire done so far)
Subs, 2 SI Mags when they come out.