Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

four15s is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

i luv it
    but i will say that if i was u, i would hav put three or four fans because those amps will get hot
    and the computer will get hot too... So its gonna b on fire in there... But i like the setup, im going to stay posted...

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by four15s View Post
    i luv it
    but i will say that if i was u, i would hav put three or four fans because those amps will get hot
    and the computer will get hot too... So its gonna b on fire in there... But i like the setup, im going to stay posted...
    Thanks man, yea So far they are ok, but I'm sure when its all running on a hot day it might start to cause trouble. The 100.4 gets hot but not killer hot even after running full tilt for about 3 hours. I'm thinking I will be rebuilding the amp rack in the new future anyways as it looks like I am ditching the crossovers. I got some spare 120mm fans I can throw in there when I get everything setup.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

lamont1 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Thanks man, yea So far they are ok, but I'm sure when its all running on a hot day it might start to cause trouble. The 100.4 gets hot but not killer hot even after running full tilt for about 3 hours. I'm thinking I will be rebuilding the amp rack in the new future anyways as it looks like I am ditching the crossovers. I got some spare 120mm fans I can throw in there when I get everything setup.
    it shouldn't be that bad of runnin hot since u stay up north and you can also run a ac duck to it

3 pumped,1 to the front 2 to the back hopping and doing rolling and standing 3's all day

alpine cda-7977
    orion xtr400.4
    alphasonik pma600
    dd9515d
    ohio gen.200 amp

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Dang its been a while since I have updated in here. Well I haven't gotten too much accomplished either but finally got some time to get working on the truck again.

Spent much of saturday trouble shooting and making sure the computer was up and running and running consistently. Ended up that the mobo was bent and bowing directly under the ram chips and causing a no boot condition, so after re seating everything a few times I got it all set and installed firmly into the truck with the mobo nice and flat. I'm thinking this will give me problems in the future though with bumps and jostles

Oh well onto the pics.

Removed the crossovers on the amp rack to go active and to give me some working room for the computer. Took me nearly 45 minutes before to connect the PSU to the mobo when the seat was bolted in and the crossovers in place Much better now.

Like I said temporary trouble shooting session lol. I need to get this finished though, this temporary stuff and the tape on the dash is starting to drive me nuts.

Killer monitor holder lol

Mini keyboard and touch pad sitting roughly in their final resting position

I plan on build some sort of a flip open door on the console that will house the keyboard and touch pad. When close they will both be hidden and it will match the rest of the console, then flip open with a piano hinge or so revealing the keyboard and touch pad, as well as uncovering the 2 cupholders if I need them.

Did some more fiddling with tweeter placement and decided on going with on axis mounting to get the most detail from the tweeters. Also this will be the easiest position to return to stock if I decide to change things up which we all know happens, and quite frequently.

I got both tweeter pods aimed and mounted to the sail panels with some dowels and hot glue.

I learned a few things from reading on here and other forums and moved ahead with wrapping the panels with some pieces of t-shirt.

-Work in Progress-

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

This is only my second time working with fiberglass and first time when wrapping something so it took me a while to get it just right and figure out how to hold it in place. I am still not too sure on how much I like the shape but I will leave my final opinion till I actually finish them and see them installed and painted.

I'm sure others know this trick, or have even better ways of doing this but I thought it was pretty good. There wasn't really any way of holding the t-shirt material around the plastic and keeping it tight. Then I found I could get it just right and carefully grabbing both sides twist it together and when its tight and just right twist an elastic band around the twisted cloth over and over again until there was no more stretch in the elastic. This worked pretty good and held it nice and tight

I only got maybe a layer or 2 of mat on them but they are strong specially with the continually curving and tight shapes. I will most likely add another layer and decent amount of resin after the first sanding I did tonight showed a few air bubbles and some other rough spots.

The resin isn't holding onto the plastic tighly. I suspect it would be good enough but I am gonna follow the advice of my dad and drill out some 3/8" holes in the sides and put in some pop rivets then resin/mat and finish over them to give a nice mechanical hold.

Installed on the door where it will finally sit.

Thats pretty much what I have gotten done lately. Planning on finishing up the tweeter mounts tomorrow night if not saturday and finally have things perminantly mounted so I can really delve into tuning things and getting the best sound I can from it.

-Work in Progress-

jeeper07 is offline Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

YAY for progress looks good man!

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

WALKS UP is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

**** man looking nice

schrummy is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

get this done. we all want to see the end product

Team TREO
    Team Midwest
    Team Gorilla
    USACI- trunk 0-1000 156.4 and climbing
    153 sealed on the dash
    yes its a trunk car and yes its only (2) 12s...

refs=sold to......R/T Pimp, mustangowner, zyklonb, Miles0803
    Bought from…..2002XLT, R/T Pimp, 92c1v1c, Miles0803, camshoc, dbeez, goindef154

mil81 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Yeah dude. Pave the way for me. LOL. You are doing almost everything I will be doing to my truck, except with nicer equipment. I better step up my game when I go to do anything in my rig, since you did such a good job in yours already.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper07 View Post
    YAY for progress looks good man!
    Thanks man, yea let a bunch of other things get in the way and slacked on getting my work done.

Quote Originally Posted by WALKS UP View Post
    **** man looking nice
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by schrummy View Post
    get this done. we all want to see the end product
    I'm tryin, I'm tryin Thanks!!

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    Yeah dude. Pave the way for me. LOL. You are doing almost everything I will be doing to my truck, except with nicer equipment. I better step up my game when I go to do anything in my rig, since you did such a good job in yours already.
    haha, I'm glad to be your guinea pig lol. Too bad we are at completely different ends of the country otherwise I'm sure it would be cool to meet up and compare ideas. Thanks again on the compliments, now I just need to get off my butt and get r done lol.

-Work in Progress-

IDSkoT is offline Resonating Reticular

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Bro, this looks great. Let me tell you.
    I have a '98 Mustang, and I was thinking of throwing in a screen. What screen you using? I was thinking of using a 7" Lilliput.
    It all seems daunting, though. How much did the screen cost and the PSU? And is the PSU easy to hook up? And, can you try to explain how the PC turns into RCA? Is it just a connector?
    I mean, I can only assume there's a splitter from the jack to the mids/highs and then another splitter from sub to sub on the HU?

Now designing / building boxes.
    (Only building sealed and aero port boxes.)
    PM me.

Feedback Thread

Refs: MSW Danny, atsaubrey (great seller), ampjunkielikeme, wgsj_fortvalley, tEh koRnDog, bad @SS chevy, Nismos14 (who is the man. )

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by IDSkoT View Post
    Bro, this looks great. Let me tell you.
    I have a '98 Mustang, and I was thinking of throwing in a screen.
    Thanks man, it definitely takes a bit of work, at least going with an oversized screen, a 7" screen or so probably would have dropped right into my double din opening without much of a problem and look very clean.

What screen you using? I was thinking of using a 7" Lilliput.
    It all seems daunting, though. How much did the screen cost and the PSU?
    I am using this screen here, Shark 10.4" touchscreen the price goes up and down I would say weekly if not daily. I snagged it down around $180 which I think was pretty much the cheapest I have seen it, and it was originally $215 about a year or so ago. 7" Lilliput would be a good choice for sure.

The PSU I got is this OPUS 320W ATX/BTX As far as I know it is the biggest one out there and could be overkill for my system but I didn't build the most efficient system I could since if it doesn't work out for me I would rather build a desktop computer out of the left over parts instead of having some specialty components to sell. There are some pretty sweet little parts out there though that can be used easily for carPC stuff. I bought mine directly from OPUS and its listed at $185 atm on their page.

And is the PSU easy to hook up?
    Pretty easy, the setup is a bit more tricky but its not hard at all. The primary pig tail has 3 12v+ wires and 3 ground wires that can be hooked up just like any amp, I have mine connected to 8ga kicker wire that runs into my distrobution blocks. Then there is a standard remote turn on wire, this gets connected just like an amp to the back of the HU. There are a few extra wires also that can be used for some other custom features. Connecting it to the computer side is very simply, it comes with a harness that plugs into the PSU and then plugs into the standard 24pin and 4pin mobo connectors as well as another harness that connects to the hard drive and whatever else you might have.

The hardest setup I found was the jumpers that needed to be setup. They only include one jumper with the PSU (least in my case.) It wasn't that it was hard or anything but that it seems in my system it works best without any jumpers. There is one that sets the startup/shutdown voltage and then startup/shutdown timer which I will need to set later on. Currently mine is setup with a standard ATX power/reset button that I cut out of an old case.

And, can you try to explain how the PC turns into RCA? Is it just a connector? I mean, I can only assume there's a splitter from the jack to the mids/highs and then another splitter from sub to sub on the HU?
    Yes, I am using just a simple connector. You can buy them at Radio Shack, its just a 3.5mm headphone jack (out of the computer) and then turns into 2 male RCA connectors which I bought RCA connector barrel plugs so I could extend it all the way up to the Head unit. At the head unit I bought an Alpine auxilary input harness that the RCA's plug into. Works like a charm so far.

hope this helps, let me know if ya got any more questions and I will see what I can do.

-Work in Progress-

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Nice job on the tweeters! Looking like everything is coming along. Also I didn't read too much, but did you get the new SI's yet?

If not, I betcha you are dieing over there.

Looks awesome and can't wait to see the final pics!

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

thanks man. As usual things come up and I didn't even get to touch the tweeters all day saturday and most of the day sunday. But I got them roughed up and started to do the bondo/sanding process. Bit more work on them tonight with the bondo and lots of sanding and then get around to painting and finishing them up.

No SI mags yet

Last I heard they have arrived at Nick's shop in NC, so hopefully a week or so for them to come up the coast to MA. I will most certainly get some pics posted when they come in, and then hopefully get the box built for them lol.

-Work in Progress-

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    thanks man. As usual things come up and I didn't even get to touch the tweeters all day saturday and most of the day sunday. But I got them roughed up and started to do the bondo/sanding process. Bit more work on them tonight with the bondo and lots of sanding and then get around to painting and finishing them up.

No SI mags yet

Last I heard they have arrived at Nick's shop in NC, so hopefully a week or so for them to come up the coast to MA. I will most certainly get some pics posted when they come in, and then hopefully get the box built for them lol.
    I hear you on "things coming up." I am always busy with either work or watching the little one. I don't get much time to myself at decent hour of the day anyway.

I wish I could have gotten 1 or 2 of the mags, but money is an issue with me, although I have plenty of it, saving for a house has made me broke unless an emergency comes up. I tried telling my wife going bassless was an emergency, but she wouldn't have it!

Can't wait for the pics mang!

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Closed Thread
Page 7 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast