User Tag List

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    That's what I'm hoping. They have the same basic cab shape. The only difference might be the windshield shape, which in this case isn't making any difference.
    Exactly, dash is pretty similar and seating position is pretty similar and I would imagine the overall rough dimensions are pretty close too. I think I am gonna fiddle around with the tweeters up on the a-pillars too, not sure exactly where on them though, maybe about 6" up off the dash and firing directly accross, or maybe up top and on axis. Only thing I am worried about with them up there is that I want to put a 4-gauge a-pillar pod on and I don't want the tweeters to get in the way of that, and at the same time I want the driver and passenger sides to be pretty symetrical.

Quote Originally Posted by Racerx250 View Post
    Hey major props to you man. Looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see the finished product.
    Thanks man Hopefully it will be finished or at least resembling finished over the course of the next month or 2. Did you ever get the components installed in you work truck? I remember talking with you a while back about tweeter placement in your F250.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

mil81 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Exactly, dash is pretty similar and seating position is pretty similar and I would imagine the overall rough dimensions are pretty close too. I think I am gonna fiddle around with the tweeters up on the a-pillars too, not sure exactly where on them though, maybe about 6" up off the dash and firing directly accross, or maybe up top and on axis. Only thing I am worried about with them up there is that I want to put a 4-gauge a-pillar pod on and I don't want the tweeters to get in the way of that, and at the same time I want the driver and passenger sides to be pretty symetrical.
    You're a fibre glassing machine with all these projects on the go. Why don't you buy the guages and glass them in where ever you want them. Then you can have the tweets in their ideal location, and have your guages around that.

That is the "One Day" plan for myself. I even have a spare A-Pillar, just no guages, and no time.

jeeper07 is offline Rebuilding&Reconstruc ting

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

**** dude for as much as you have commented in my build you never put a link up for me to check this. AMAZING craftsmanship so far and great equiptment. All i can say is WOW

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Only thing is is there anyway to cover that fan? would speaker grille cloth be too thick? it just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. That carputer looks amazing tho i want one now

http://www.caraudio.com/forum/buyer-seller-feedback/211887-jeeper07-feedback.html

wasted ink is offline wasted incorporated

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

nice work, i browsed most of the pages... a couple things...

-the fiberglass piece you made for your deck on the first page... i think it was your first attempt... did you glass that without any mat, just resin??

-i saw you used bondo brand filler... next time try an evercoat product, rage gold, rage extreme, z-grip, lightweight... these are pinhole free fillers that are not clay based like bondo... you will find that you have a MUCH easier time with them. a huge difference.

-nice job on the amp rack and computer setup, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to carputers.. which is an area i dont have alot of knowledge in... so hats off...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    You're a fibre glassing machine with all these projects on the go. Why don't you buy the guages and glass them in where ever you want them. Then you can have the tweets in their ideal location, and have your guages around that.

That is the "One Day" plan for myself. I even have a spare A-Pillar, just no guages, and no time.
    Thanks for the compliment, but I dunno if I am nearly that good lol. I honestly never even thought about making my own, was gonna buy one when I get the gauges. I'm thinking their will be enough room for the tweeter if they work well firing across the dash. Gonna swap em to that sort of setup saturday and see how they sound that way.

Quote Originally Posted by jeeper07 View Post
    **** dude for as much as you have commented in my build you never put a link up for me to check this. AMAZING craftsmanship so far and great equiptment. All i can say is WOW
    Only thing is is there anyway to cover that fan? would speaker grille cloth be too thick? it just seems to stick out like a sore thumb. That carputer looks amazing tho i want one now
    Haha, sorry I feel kinda weird fishing for compliments or feedback, but thanks for checking it out and thanks for the compliments

I thought about that when I was first building it but didn't have any grill cloth at the time and was thinking of simply covering it with the speaker carpet since it seemed to stretch and breath well but instead I cut it out. I may go back later and try to fix it, with the seat in you can't see it at all though. But will certainly be added to my punch list to clean up after I get things pretty much finalized.

Quote Originally Posted by wasted ink View Post
    nice work, i browsed most of the pages... a couple things...

-the fiberglass piece you made for your deck on the first page... i think it was your first attempt... did you glass that without any mat, just resin??

-i saw you used bondo brand filler... next time try an evercoat product, rage gold, rage extreme, z-grip, lightweight... these are pinhole free fillers that are not clay based like bondo... you will find that you have a MUCH easier time with them. a huge difference.

-nice job on the amp rack and computer setup, you seem to know your stuff when it comes to carputers.. which is an area i dont have alot of knowledge in... so hats off...
    Yes that was my first attempt, I ended up cutting out some cardboard and hot gluing it together to make a mold and then wrapped it with foil. From there I resined it and used mat. I think I ended up putting about 4-5 layers on it all said and done. Its pretty strong, I probably could have skipped a few layers lol.

Thanks for the tips on the filler. I tried to use some red lead to clean up some of the pinholes and other imperfections. Sadly as it got towards the end I started loosing my patience and rushed the most important part, the sanding and finishing. I am hoping to go back and touch up a couple of spots and make it right.

Thanks I have built a few desktop computer and did a lot of reading on the carputer thing to try and research it as much as I could.

Oh and wearabouts in NH are you from? I'm in SE Mass. Norton to be exact, down near the RI line. Got a college friend who lives in Hudson, NH.

-Work in Progress-

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didnt know if the seats covered it or not. if they do then screw it. i just figured u made everything else so pretty. But seriously amazing build. my audio part wont be nearly as good cause i have **** near no space, but it will be very clean like yours is. FANTASTIC

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i didnt know if the seats covered it or not. if they do then screw it. i just figured u made everything else so pretty. But seriously amazing build. my audio part wont be nearly as good cause i have **** near no space, but it will be very clean like yours is. FANTASTIC
    Yea its pretty sad lol, when the seats are folded down to actually see things they cover up everything just to the bottom of the crossovers, can barely even read the Sundown emblem across the middle of the amps and that is only when you are peaking in from the side door and looking down behind the seat.

Thanks again, if your audio part comes out even half as good as the rest of your truck I'm sure it will be an amazing install. Should have plenty of options in your truck by switching to bucket seats too. Maybe some sort of inverted single sub setup between the 2 seats or something. I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

oh i have a few ideas that should be pretty sweet. Lots of fiberglass included in that plan. I sent u a pm tho jdc

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes that was my first attempt, I ended up cutting out some cardboard and hot gluing it together to make a mold and then wrapped it with foil. From there I resined it and used mat. I think I ended up putting about 4-5 layers on it all said and done. Its pretty strong, I probably could have skipped a few layers lol.

Thanks for the tips on the filler. I tried to use some red lead to clean up some of the pinholes and other imperfections. Sadly as it got towards the end I started loosing my patience and rushed the most important part, the sanding and finishing. I am hoping to go back and touch up a couple of spots and make it right.

Thanks I have built a few desktop computer and did a lot of reading on the carputer thing to try and research it as much as I could.

Oh and wearabouts in NH are you from? I'm in SE Mass. Norton to be exact, down near the RI line. Got a college friend who lives in Hudson, NH.
    i wasnt sure because i couldnt really see any mat in there.. and the filler... back when i first started glassing i used bondo brand **** and as soon as i made the switch it improved my work instantly, and by a noticeable amount. i try to make that point every time i see the red lead. and im located just south of manchester.. i have a few friends in hudson... im about 30 - 40 minutes away.. never been to norton ma, but i grew up in lowell and east boston, and spent alot of time in south boston. ive been down that area a few times, but never to that town. good luck with the rest of the build, ill check back when i get a chance.. it seems like youre heading the right way though.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by wasted ink View Post
    i wasnt sure because i couldnt really see any mat in there.. and the filler... back when i first started glassing i used bondo brand **** and as soon as i made the switch it improved my work instantly, and by a noticeable amount. i try to make that point every time i see the red lead. and im located just south of manchester.. i have a few friends in hudson... im about 30 - 40 minutes away.. never been to norton ma, but i grew up in lowell and east boston, and spent alot of time in south boston. ive been down that area a few times, but never to that town. good luck with the rest of the build, ill check back when i get a chance.. it seems like youre heading the right way though.
    Cool, I will most certainly check out that stuff the next time I fiddle with the glass.

Have you heard of or been to the Comcast Center, formerly Tweeter Center, and before that Great Woods?? I live about 5 minutes up the road from there. Its about the easiest way I can describe where I am to others lol since I am from such a small town.

-Work in Progress-

energizedsbs is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...s-c-22_24.html

heres a place with some cool gauge pods. when I had my 350 I had the 4 gauge pod above the mirror. I liked it there a lot. just givving you another option

just give the dj a break
    where are they hiding...SEDONA

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by energizedsbs View Post
    http://www.puredieselpower.com/catal...s-c-22_24.html

heres a place with some cool gauge pods. when I had my 350 I had the 4 gauge pod above the mirror. I liked it there a lot. just givving you another option
    Thanks for the tip. I would love to ultimately get a 4-gauge a-pillar pod AND a 4-gauge overhead pod. But sadly gauges are pretty expensive so it will be a little while. Gonna start with the three main gauges Tranny temp, Pyro and Boost, then add a volt meter for the pillar pod. Friggin 1-ton diesel truck and no factory volt or amp meter oh well. Then up top probably a HPOP pressure, fuel pressure, Oil temp and water temp. Got a few others I would like but will see how things go, its all long term thoughts. Almost tempted to buy just the a-pillar pod with no gauges so I can see what it will be like while I am working on installing the tweeters.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cool, I will most certainly check out that stuff the next time I fiddle with the glass.

Have you heard of or been to the Comcast Center, formerly Tweeter Center, and before that Great Woods?? I live about 5 minutes up the road from there. Its about the easiest way I can describe where I am to others lol since I am from such a small town.
    yea def ive been to a few shows, i thought it might have been near mansfield but i didnt think to say anything. good stuff man.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Been going slow lately due to bunch of other things coming up and such but here are some new pics of my experimenting with tweeter location. I had them mounted on the sail panels directly on axis. With this mounting I had to push the balance 3 clicks to the right to get everything balanced out and even all around.

I got some tips on this location telling me that it might be better to mount them on the a-pillars. So I got them up on the pillars firing directly across the dash at each other. This seemed to cure the balance problem. Zeroing out the balance brought everything back to a nice and even sound from all around. Obviously I will clean things up but I had to push the mounting rings out a bit from the pillars for the tweeters to clear but in the final install if I go with this spot I will cut the pillars so I can push the tweeters as far back as I can.

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

So far this is sounding the best even though I have little to no tuning and I am certainly starting to need some, but I think I am getting much closer to finding the right mounting locations to get the most out of this truck that I can. I may try the tweeters up on the dash firing off the glass but I don't think that will show any improvements over what I have now. Hopefully during this week I will get the crossovers bypassed and move onto fully active and start tuning.

-Work in Progress-

Closed Thread
Page 6 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast