Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

how thick is that monitor? i might have an idea that could work and keep that nice woodgrain in tact at the same time...

Phers1er is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

The tweeter pods look pretty good so far!
    I wanted to do the same but I already had holes in my doors from my last system and decided to be lazy

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla View Post
    how thick is that monitor? i might have an idea that could work and keep that nice woodgrain in tact at the same time...
    Here are a few pics of the screen from when I disassembled it.

Back side with the LCD control board and such

Front side with everything still intact

Front side with the cables disconnected to remove the actual LCD panel itself

And here is a shot of the LCD panel resting in the back side of the dash

There are a few things I need to trim off the back side so that the screen can go up to back side of the dash panel, then I will put some padded double sided tape, bout an 1/8" thick to pad the screen from the dash a bit. Currently thinking of wrapping the screen with foil (as a release agent and to protect it. Then pouring fiberglass resin our maybe some duramix around the edges of the screen up to the thickness of the LCD panel, then using the metal tabs that were used in the factory bezel to attach the screen to the dash panel.

Let me know what your thinking, might work out better, and I am always open for different ideas.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phers1er View Post
    The tweeter pods look pretty good so far!
    I wanted to do the same but I already had holes in my doors from my last system and decided to be lazy
    Thanks man

Being lazy is nice lol, luckily if I need to or want to change it up as it sits now I haven't cut anything, but I'm sure that won't last long lol. The more I progress on this build the more I am wishing I could find a similar truck in the junk yard so I could have back up interior panels.

-Work in Progress-

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Phers1er is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I have a parts car in my garage (I traded my ps3 for) but the panels have power window switches and my car has roll up windows or else I would do some pods.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

let me try and explain my idea... if i have to, i'll draw it out and post a picture i will.
    the same way you made that fiberglass piece that you mounted under your dash with the with the HU... make one that comes over the dash, and mount the monitor in that... you can attach it at the top and let the front part rest over the wood grain. i know it would not be flush mounted the way you wanted... but it's an option other than cutting the trough the wood grain and everything...
    might be a dumb idea tho...

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phers1er View Post
    I have a parts car in my garage (I traded my ps3 for) but the panels have power window switches and my car has roll up windows or else I would do some pods.
    That is the way to go right there. I used to have a few 80-86 Fords that I went through and was always easy to get whatever parts I needed from the junkyard and even started to get some in stock just laying around. But this truck is too new I think for me to be able to find in the yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla View Post
    let me try and explain my idea... if i have to, i'll draw it out and post a picture i will.
    the same way you made that fiberglass piece that you mounted under your dash with the with the HU... make one that comes over the dash, and mount the monitor in that... you can attach it at the top and let the front part rest over the wood grain. i know it would not be flush mounted the way you wanted... but it's an option other than cutting the trough the wood grain and everything...
    might be a dumb idea tho...
    Okie, I got what your saying. I am going to keep it in mind. I'm not sure if I would be able to make it work while making it even resemble an OEM install is the only problem. I'm sure if I put the screen behind the dash it won't be all that OEM and trick people but I am gonna try.

Thinking absolute worst case I could send out my dash to one of the refinishing places and get a new wood grain applied to my newly formed dash, or buy a new panel (hopefully from a junk yard, but probable the dealer) and then drop down to an 8" or 7" screen which should install nice and easy.

Guessing my tweeter pods scared everyone away lol. I think I need to do a little more fiddling on the aiming and then wrap them up with an old t-shirt and finish them up.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

the tweeter pods are in a nice location... once they are finished it should look sweet.

mil81 is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I'm pretty new at the imagine part of things too, but I thought the tweets should be focussed on the same point (ie. driver's head, center of vehicle at head height...).

Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm going to be doing the same thing with my RSD's soon.

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    26 Post(s)

Looks good mang, best of luck on the rest of the install. I know it is probably killing you waiting on those subs.

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    I'm pretty new at the imagine part of things too, but I thought the tweets should be focussed on the same point (ie. driver's head, center of vehicle at head height...).

Correct me if I'm wrong, cause I'm going to be doing the same thing with my RSD's soon.
    Yea I am not 100% sure on that either. I would kinda like the passengers to enjoy the sound as much as me but I will fiddle around with aiming the passenger tweeter at my head as well and see if that helps a bit. I'll definitely need to pick up a laser pointer for that. Luckily with just the hot glue I can move things around and nothing is set in stone. Maybe I will leave the tweets in a movable phase until I get the subs in and installed around early september. Should give me enough seat time to try out a few positions.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
    Looks good mang, best of luck on the rest of the install. I know it is probably killing you waiting on those subs.
    Thanks man Yea I've been trying to not think about it lol cause I can't wait to try em out. Least if anything if gives me more time to focus on getting everything else done. I found lately just getting the speakers in I wasn't accomplishing anything cause I would go out to the truck to do some work and end up just sitting there listening to music. I can see the same thing only much worse going on when I get the subs.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Yea I am not 100% sure on that either. I would kinda like the passengers to enjoy the sound as much as me but I will fiddle around with aiming the passenger tweeter at my head as well and see if that helps a bit. I'll definitely need to pick up a laser pointer for that. Luckily with just the hot glue I can move things around and nothing is set in stone. Maybe I will leave the tweets in a movable phase until I get the subs in and installed around early september. Should give me enough seat time to try out a few positions.
    Yeah, I think ideally you want them both pointed at your head. As you do, I want the passenger to enjoy, and give me compliments on, the nice sounding system, so I think I will first try pointing them head level to the center of the truck (Above the center console).

But, you are a lot further along that I am, so please let me know how you make out.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mil81 View Post
    Yeah, I think ideally you want them both pointed at your head. As you do, I want the passenger to enjoy, and give me compliments on, the nice sounding system, so I think I will first try pointing them head level to the center of the truck (Above the center console).

But, you are a lot further along that I am, so please let me know how you make out.
    Sounds good, I will try em all out. Heck to me it sounded darn good with the initial crappy angling but I had read they sound better on axis and my dad mentioned the upper highs missing so I thought I should try this out. Aimed towards center probable won't be that far off axis so might work out good. Think I will flip em towards the center this weekend after a bit more listening as they are now. Thanks for the tip.

Our trucks probably aren't all that different inside so hopefully what works for me will nearly work for you.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Sounds good, I will try em all out. Heck to me it sounded darn good with the initial crappy angling but I had read they sound better on axis and my dad mentioned the upper highs missing so I thought I should try this out. Aimed towards center probable won't be that far off axis so might work out good. Think I will flip em towards the center this weekend after a bit more listening as they are now. Thanks for the tip.

Our trucks probably aren't all that different inside so hopefully what works for me will nearly work for you.
    That's what I'm hoping. They have the same basic cab shape. The only difference might be the windshield shape, which in this case isn't making any difference.

Racerx250 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey major props to you man. Looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Bought from - Shallowfu mattmcss bholtmeier apw122 cam5860 KINGDELL91 impalafan95 six501 skydeaner Amalan Datboiroy X5(met in person) dalucifer lrc131 tEh koRnDog civicsimomo JoeSmith502 matthewo Cguth hessdawg lilmaniac2(X2) lil_italy773 na_rsx tdeaton1021

Traded With - Beerdrnkr freezeman_7 cd6551 SoCalBean420

Sold to - vitveet memphisflex Blinkdogo2 kruler

There's more but I can't remember who.

Up Coming plans for my silverado
    9887(still need)
    6.5 ID OEM, Hertz HT30 tweets, Sundown 100.4
    Sundown 1500(still need), (1) 2005 12" RE XXX
    2.5cu. ft. @ 32(still need)
    2 yellow tops

Closed Thread
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Tag List