Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Reload Thread: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

jdc753 is offline Truck Brigade

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

Thanks man, same here, but I am dreading cutting the dash due to the wood grain its got, can't really go back and just paint it. Thinking I will measure 500 times cut once a little small and then sand/file it to the right opening and hope I don't have to redo anything lol. Worst case I think about all I could do is wet sand it through the clear and re-clear it.

2005 F350 crew cab diesel 4x4
    -Work in Progress-
    HU: Alpine 9887 linked to 10.4" TS TruckPC
    Front Stage: Polk SR6500 Active
    Front Amp: Sundown Sax100.4
    Sub: Stereo Integrity Magnum V4 in the center console
    Sub amp: Sundown Saz-1500D

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

SilverSquared is offline Fat guy on the GROUND.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    27 Post(s)

Re: 05 F350 Build log (some fiberglass work, computer, and system) Many pictures!!

You do know that 3.5" hard drives dont take the rough vibrations/impacts like a 2.5" drive, right? They're also hotter, and draw more power from the PSU.

Everything else looks GREAT. And I'm very glad ur running a 10" monitor. I cant see the REASON for running anything larger when ur 2 feet away from it. Just watch how bright it'll be at night, lol. You'll be glad its not bigger.

Looking to buy 2nd and 3rd gen Orion 2100 HCCAs.

Phers1er is offline Senior VIP Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    Thanks man, same here, but I am dreading cutting the dash due to the wood grain its got, can't really go back and just paint it. Thinking I will measure 500 times cut once a little small and then sand/file it to the right opening and hope I don't have to redo anything lol. Worst case I think about all I could do is wet sand it through the clear and re-clear it.
    Wow, that is scary... But It seems like you have the right Idea, Sanding and filing a little at a time.
    gl

speedfreak28 is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

nice work, that amp rack is clean!

2005 QC dodge ram for now
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Sold To:defj. HowLowd, backthepack, thegreatestpenn, acura2005, headbussaboi, SPY, rc10mike, protown, flipGTO, ECS23, Jeremy M, dt053, r.sosa, blubberbutt, macq32,civicman07, fast85_gt, fatboyracing, cbrei1023, 96tbird, ado, SPL-Master,JHughes, FJF, blackdragonaudi, bnacht, niggz89, ggjeff, SoCalBean420
    Bought From Blunt, Kawasaki SXT-R, Kickinaudio, valant_94gt, HATCHET_WARRIOR, orangecounty1, teh korndog, kmanian, NJAV1, mr_kebo, lilmaniac2, 99grandprixGT, JBLCamry, jh8909
    traded with dropped_mazda,

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jdc753 View Post
    your best bet would be to tape off yourr measurements as exact as youcan get them, cut out the excess with an air saw. that wouldnt leave much to sand or file.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION
    Sold To:defj. HowLowd, backthepack, thegreatestpenn, acura2005, headbussaboi, SPY, rc10mike, protown, flipGTO, ECS23, Jeremy M, dt053, r.sosa, blubberbutt, macq32,civicman07, fast85_gt, fatboyracing, cbrei1023, 96tbird, ado, SPL-Master,JHughes, FJF, blackdragonaudi, bnacht, niggz89, ggjeff, SoCalBean420
    Bought From Blunt, Kawasaki SXT-R, Kickinaudio, valant_94gt, HATCHET_WARRIOR, orangecounty1, teh korndog, kmanian, NJAV1, mr_kebo, lilmaniac2, 99grandprixGT, JBLCamry, jh8909

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SilverSquared View Post
    You do know that 3.5" hard drives dont take the rough vibrations/impacts like a 2.5" drive, right? They're also hotter, and draw more power from the PSU.

Everything else looks GREAT. And I'm very glad ur running a 10" monitor. I cant see the REASON for running anything larger when ur 2 feet away from it. Just watch how bright it'll be at night, lol. You'll be glad its not bigger.
    Yea for now its what I got. Was a spare drive so if it dies it dies, I have owned it since the 120GB ide was released lol so about 6 or so years back lol, maybe more. I can pick up a 500GB drive now for cheaper than I paid for the 120 lol.

Yea the screen was actually what got me the idea of building this. I am thinking its the perfect size, little smaller would have been easy to put in but this will pretty much fill the entire area without having to move the AC vents or really screw up the dash. For night time I so far am using mostly dark skins for Road Runner to keep it darker. Can't wait to get it all up and running, its was soo much fun fooling around with it when I had it setup on my desk. Thanks for the compliments gonna be busy this week with other things so it may be a while before I get any more work, but I think the computer install is bumped up the list now that I got the speakers and amps all working and such.

-Work in Progress-

Refs: low_end, Relax, SSon22s, Johnson, tyroneshoes, twisztdpunisher, flakko, djhn9, KINGDELL91, amoffitt, Justin89T, 01 S 10, Mazzasec

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Phers1er View Post
    Wow, that is scary... But It seems like you have the right Idea, Sanding and filing a little at a time.
    gl
    Yea it is a bit, but I think I got it, most certainly gonna be stressful when I put the blade the to plastic lol.

Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak28 View Post
    nice work, that amp rack is clean!
    Quote Originally Posted by speedfreak28 View Post
    your best bet would be to tape off yourr measurements as exact as youcan get them, cut out the excess with an air saw. that wouldnt leave much to sand or file.
    Thanks man Yea thats what I got currently, I put some masking tape all around the area and then found the center of the current opening and measured out from there and marked my lines down the sides and I will go straight out from the top and bottom and make it one big opening. I am thinking I will use a dremel that I got with a cut off wheel but make light passes to not heat up the plastic too much as I cut. There will be about 1.5" to 2" left over below the screen but I should be able to form a fiberglass filler along there to hold the slot load dvd and the usb hub, get the filler panel painted flat black like the other dash inserts and it should look reasonably good.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sounds good, i gotta start my dash, only have to trim for a avic d3 not a 10" monitor lol

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Atimm693 is offline Shadetree Mechanic

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)

Looks pretty great so far, nice and clean.

Keep it up.

1994 Toyota Camry
    Pioneer DEHP6400BT
    Rockford Fosgate 1050S
    12" DD 3512C
    2.5 cuft, 35hz
    1050wrms@4ohms

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Well not too much for updates but spent most of the night trying to tune the speakers and get a good baseline. I still need to move the tweeters and get them mounted up nicely. Also gotta read up a lot more on the manual as to how to operate the 9887. Stinks that I can't find it anywhere in the house, so gonna print out a copy at the office tomorrow and spend some time getting familiar with it.

I must say that with the little bit of tuning and horrible tweeter placement so far that it actually sounds really good. I can only imagine what it will sound like when I get the tweeters mounted properly, deaden the doors and spend some more timing. Oh and add subs to fill in the bottom notes.

-Work in Progress-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheLow View Post
    what in the hell is that energize III black thing or w/e..lol
    Just looked back through my pictures again as I must have had a brain fart last time. That Energize III thing next to the switches and below the HU is a trailer brake controler, its for equilizing the trailer brakes to the trucks brakes so your not stuck trying to stop your truck AND the trailer with the trucks brakes alone.

-Work in Progress-

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

how will that monitor be mounted (once you cut the wood grain... yikes...)
    do you have some kind of bracket that it came with?

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Got a little bit more accomplished. Tweeters are installed. What do you guys think...

Drivers side tweeter

-Work in Progress-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Black-Gorrilla View Post
    how will that monitor be mounted (once you cut the wood grain... yikes...)
    do you have some kind of bracket that it came with?
    I still have yet to 100% figure it out, but what I have in my head at the moment is to cut it JUST right lol. Only ONE chance at this, and the screen will sit behind the dash as it would in a standard bezel, then I will mount it to he back side of the dash piece either using the bezel it came in, or with some fiberglass or plastic build up around the screen and fastened to the dash as it is in the bezel which is by little metal clips screwed into the bezel.

-Work in Progress-

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ok don't worry the tweeters aren't staying like that, but even with that horrible mounting it still sounded amazing. Get in the truck and crank the stereo and it was like you just put on headphones, the speakers disappeared and all you were left with was the music right up around eye level or a little bit lower (I sit pretty high up in the seat.)

Here is what I did tonight, not much but got the tweeters aimed and into little pods. Later on I will go back and wrap the sail panels and pods and finish them up with some fiberglass then texture paint and black pain to try and match the OEM as best I can.

And here is the passenger side...

BEFORE: super crappy, but as I said it sounded pretty sweet lol, just lacking a bit of the highest highs. Hoping by aiming them directly on axis to each headrest that those highs will be brought out.

AFTER:

Not the greatest picture, but it is also now aimed directly on axis. The drivers side tweeter is at the drivers headrest and the passenger tweeter at the passenger headrest.

I haven't really had any time to sit and get an idea if this is any better or do any more tuning but I am pretty sure it will be better. If not I can always change it around a bit. The hot glue gun has become one of my most favorite tools in this install lol. I didn't have a laser pointer around anywhere so I tried to aim them as best as I could, hopefully it will be good. With the tweeters squared away I will be free to move onto deadening the doors to try and make a proper home for these speakers.

Any tips, tricks, criticism or feedback of any kind is greatly appreciated, specially seeing as much of this install is a learning process for me so far.

-Work in Progress-

Closed Thread
Page 4 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

User Tag List