Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Reload Thread: '55 Pontiac Starchief

1LOWCHIEF is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

'55 Pontiac Starchief

I haven't started on the audio portion of the build yet, but I thought "What the hell, lets throw up some pics anyways". I envision the audio build going through a couple different phases anyways... such as I plan on tossing together a temporary system here in the next week or two as I am in a mad hurry to get the car together and cruisable for the Memorial weekend Kustoms show in Santa Maria, CA.

Here is how she sits after lopping off three (or so) coils and adding 3" blocks in the rear.

Unfortunately, after a couple drives around the block (and a few to the liquor store!) it became apparent that something just wasn't right and there was som rubbing going on.

Apparently the driveshaft was coming into contact with the floor!

Somehow, I don't think it being shiny here is a good idea.

So, since I'm not going to raise the car back up, I decided something else had to happen to make her driveable again.

Before.

After.

Here is how it looks with the car actually on the ground.

My ****** (and temporary!) ammo crate for a seat, and how close my *** is from the Gap of Doom.

Since I was tired of destroying stuff, I decided to actually finish something that added a bit to the car. Introducing Mr. Tiki Shifter.

As you can see in those pics I have already removed the interior which should make for some easy running of the wiring. I already tackled most of the rust issue of the floor, but after removing the headliner I was suprised at the rust there due to condensation inside the car.

As I mentioned, I'm trying to get this thing together for a show/cruise next Friday! For the cruise I'm planning on putting in a temp system of the random crap I have in my garage. I plan on using a pre-fab ported box with 2 12" Sony Explod's run by a Rockford Fosgate 300.1 (or something like that?) that I got in a trade. My front and rear fill speakers will be powered by a 10+ year old Rockford Fosgate Punch 40. THe speakers are undecided at this point... but probably a pair or two of coaxials that I can get for cheap (i.e. Walmart or something). I don't want to run a head unit.. instead I'll be using an Ipod with a couple goodies to charge it and one master volume knob.

~Bryant

prodgod is offline Bored

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: '55 Pontiac Starchief

It sits pretty nice, but I don't usually like cutting springs.

1977 MGB - Current Project Car
    HU - Kenwood KDC-MP825
    Front Stage - Infinity Kappa 5.25" Rear Fill - Infinity Kappa 5x7"
    Sub Stage - Elemental Designs 9kv.2
    Amp - Rockford Fosgate 5.3x Wiring - Scosche 4 Gauge

2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT
    HU - Kenwood DDX512
    Front Stage - Kicker RS65.2
    Substage - 2 x Eclipse SW6000 10" Sealed
    Amp - Rockford Fosgate Power-1000 25-To-Life Wiring - KnuKnoceptz 1/0

Refs: lrc131, Hemi=22s, Tub Asko (SMD.com), poundindak69, us3, thegreatestpenn, BumpinLTC

soloXgt is offline Dinkum Flicka

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)

looks cool, get new rims though

HU: AVIC-F90BT
    Sub: 15" Treo SSX
    Amp: MTX TE4001D
    Front: Eclipse SC 8365 x 2
    Amp: Audison LRX 250.2

Quote Originally Posted by jmanpc View Post
    JL attracts hood rats
    Quote Originally Posted by Lugnutz View Post
    It has to do with evolution. The blacks have not yet fully evolved from monkey to the current white human. They are in a transition state. That is why they are not very intelligent and have barbaric instincts that cause them to commit crime. It is just the monkey in them.

REFS griffin850, Safe_Cracker, Kamikazekyle05, Korn4Life, blaze383..others on ROE also

ballstothewall is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

So you lowered it cutting the coils, then had to cut the floorpan because you didn't pay any attention to what you were doing??

Kicking the tires, Lighting the fires.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

The nice thing about the old cars is that the coil springs aren't progressive type springs like newer cars. Cutting a few off doesn't really change the dampening on the coil, it just makes it shorter.

smd4life is offline NOTHING ABOUT MEADE

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

pimp...

Quote Originally Posted by thevic24 View Post
    And with this.....I will use this as an excuse to drink another beer....
    __________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________________________________________
    Ref's:memphissoul4u, scottiej(x3), bassaddictj, jeepinTN(x2), Blados,lincolnls(slc720052), ssbogger, stuckinok(x2), matrxx dude, BoostedPontiac, fintheman, dbornotdb, mr. tibbs, lakota, iceteebone, WantedIsHere(HypnoticCure), Cahm Rohn, Bring97, Brian Owens, snoopysnooper, sdsport92064, annarbor84, tv559, RetroAudioinc, FJF, 01 S 10, oddiofile, stupify

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ballstothewall View Post
    So you lowered it cutting the coils, then had to cut the floorpan because you didn't pay any attention to what you were doing??

Actually, paying attention to cutting coils and installing blocks wouldn't have prepared me for the driveshaft hitting the floor. I have never had driveshaft clearance issues until this car... and i only lowered the car 4" in the front and put 3" blocks in the rear.

However, future plans for the car include a full airbag suspension and a 4 link in the rear, so the floor was going to get cut one way or another.

sixfootman2005 is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

nice

86 Ford Ranger XLT extended cab
    In the works.

Quote Originally Posted by hunterw View Post
    oooohh hsooo ****...coil is a lil ehhh dark? lol. id punch my grandma in the face for this sub and i love my grandma....
    Refs:
    Bought From: Regal8r.Enzowho,Grizzly,Nightdrifter05,revrider1,F lipx99,bubbagumper6,ProjectPechkin,lslugz,squeak12
    Sold to: Hasa68mustang
    Traded With:Ballstothewall,HyPnAwTiKpImPx2

duece212 is offline Buddy Christ!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Cool lookin ride! I had driveshaft clearance issues on my s10 when I dropped it. Things start becoming a huge pita when you go real low, but its worth it.

bigbangtheory is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Man I wish I could see this now. Will have to peep it when I get home from work.

Whatever you hosted those pics under has websense for me. Work computer FTL!

Refs~Max Power(ST), bnevets27(ST), 99oldsintrigue(ST), matrxx dude(BF), Ficaraudio(BF), Zachzchw(BF), tigerf117(ST), 5.7TBI(BF), DBfan187(ST), Joesph M(ST), 97gp(ST), Cornbreadxd(ST), SlappinX(ST), nycspudz03(ST), bl0ckd(BF), Sctattooer(ST), hitman34608(ST), Wackdogg(ST), ggk(ST), 03F150MrSBF(STx2), Dye4metal(ST), Mikey7182(BF), Wu501(BF), Twisted_0912(BF), Crunklech(BF), psychoacoustics(BF), Tyler Chavez(ST), GTO Dave(ST), Thisistiny(ST), DarkScorpin(BF), davidtemple(BF), BassaddictJ(BF), Geoff_off_me(BF), Dragnix(BF)

BF=Bought from
    ST=Sold too

peas247 is offline Hookers on the Point

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)

nice man

refs - dumple(x2), banginexplorer, r/t pimp (x2), select127, joey2714, rollerdj, lincolntc690, psychoacoustics, mk_, boltpride, SHiZNiLTi, pr-festiva, emaxaudio, yunvme666, Coolwazabi, ssackett, JBGabriel, Mike465, avs20, siddle, DDbump, Andrizzle, SPY, gentlejax, Act Audio, bagged97tacoma ...............

Eugenics is offline Princess

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i'd rock it.

if it had an interior and ****.

crunktimes . com/ct

Twistid is offline 150.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

suicide the doors!

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."
    Winston Churchill

REFS: Spicmonster(buyer), playa1(buyer), splthunder(buyer), 949runner (seller), dbman150 (trade), pbulous (trade), bumpin97jeep(trade) , spudracer326 (seller) , 99stanggt (seller) , xplicitACTS (trade) ... and forgetting a few others
    BHCSAOWKF

Twistid is offline 150.5

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

i see it, and i think of that car from the marylin manson video , thing was ******!

"A modest little person, with much to be modest about."
    Winston Churchill

REFS: Spicmonster(buyer), playa1(buyer), splthunder(buyer), 949runner (seller), dbman150 (trade), pbulous (trade), bumpin97jeep(trade) , spudracer326 (seller) , 99stanggt (seller) , xplicitACTS (trade) ... and forgetting a few others
    BHCSAOWKF

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbangtheory View Post
    Man I wish I could see this now. Will have to peep it when I get home from work.

Whatever you hosted those pics under has websense for me. Work computer FTL!
    Yea, there is quite a collection of **** and **** on the hosting site... but it's free!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast