Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Reload Thread: 2008 Accord Coupe

katodevin is offline Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

2008 Accord Coupe

--- Disclaimer ---
    I am also posting this to the Accord forums, which is why some of the content is a bit "dummied" down.
    I am not a professional. I am doing this in my spare time for fun. I'm glad to answer any questions you have. Please keep the haterade to a minimum.

This is going to be my worklog for my 2008 coupe. I will be updating it regularly.

My goal is to achieve the best SQ I can without getting ridiculously expensive. I saved money by purchasing cheap amps and sub. I don't care about SPL, so I don't need a ridiculous sub setup. My interior speakers are much more important to me, which is why I spent the cash for the Polyglasses and the Pioneer HU. From my experience, the quality and care of the install is much more important than the gear used. You can make 2 grand components sound like crap if you don't install them properly.

I mostly listen to punk, dance, and hip hop, with a good amount of 80s. So I need a system that is flexible and able to reproduce those genres well. I know the car is a very imperfect listening arena, but I set out to try and emulate my studio monitors at home.

I will be updating this post/thread as I go along with my install.

Head Unit - Pioneer deh880prs
    Front Stage - Focal Polyglass 165cv1
    Rear Stage - Phoenix Gold RSD65
    Sub - Alpine Type E 12
    Amps - 1 Power Acoustik 150x4 /// 1 Power Acoustik 90x2 Bridged @ 240x1
    Deadening - Raammat and Ensolite

Rear Deck -
    The first thing I decided to tackle was deadening the rear of the car. Just because... not in any particular order. Took out the rear deck, and applied deadening to the underside of the plastic cover. The Raamat is designed to add mass, and stop rattles and reverberation, not to absorb sound. Ensolite is designed to absorb soundwaves, and I will be installing that later onto the rear deck.

Rear Grills + Speakers -
    Usually, for SQ applications, you do not want to have a rear soundstage, as it can mess up imaging. I actually like having a bit of detail coming from the rear, and decided to keep a rear soundstage. However, you do NOT want to have too bright of a setup, since the human ear can pick up high frequencies much more directionally than the low. I did not set out to buy a comp set, as there are no locations to put the tweeters, but the Phoenix Gold RSD's were a fantastic value, and give great midbass response.

I had to decide where to mount the tweeters, and decided it'd be safest to just modify the stock grills. The grills are actually only "grills" directly over the 6.5 speaker, the rest of the grill is solid plastic, and wouldn't let any sound through. I figured if I totally messed up, I could just buy another set from the parts department. I cut a hole in them for the tweeters to be mounted to. I added two layers of speaker grill fabric over the tweeters firstly because they were too ugly to be mounted naked, and secondly to help attenuate them a bit to avoid having too bright of a rear soundstage.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Re: 2008 Accord Coupe

Sub Box/Amp Mounting -
    Since I am not concered with SPL, and require my sub to be able to reproduce a wide range of music accurately, I decided to go with a sealed box. Another huge requirement of mine is for the sub/amp mounting system to be completely modular. I designed it to be able to be removed from the car in under 30 seconds using only 1 allen wrench to loosen 2 grub screws to remove the power/ground wires from the distro bock. All other wires are able to be disconnected via plugs at the sub/amp box. This allows me to easily pull out the entire system in case I need to put something in the trunk and flip the seats down.

My sub's specs call for 1.25 cubic feet of volume. I designed the box to be closer to 1 cubic feet, and added some polyfill to make up for the lost volume. I used 1/2 inch MDF for the box's construction, and designed it to fire towards the back of the car. The face is flat, and takes up the rear space of the trunk and serve to hide all of the wires. The trunk of the coupe is much bigger than I need on an everyday basis, so I won't miss the lost space.

Here are pics of it face down while I was painting the back of the box. I used some textured paint for it. I hate carpeting boxes. Don't have the patience for it at all! You can see the mounting hole for the speaker terminal cup. The curved parts at the base are to clear the contours of the trunk.

Sub Installed -
    Here is my sub installed into the box. I used just regular wood glue to attach the polyfill to the inside of the box. Ran some silicone caulking on all the joints to seal it up well. Pretty happy with the looks so far. I'll be mounting the amps and crossovers next, and wiring those up. Stay tuned.

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Box complete (99%) -
    Got the box all done. Mounted the amps and crossovers, and did all of the wiring. None of the screw should have penetrated into the box's cavity, but I put glue on the threads of each screw juuuuuust in case.

Here are some closeups of the crossover side. I got some tech flex for the wires, helped make them look pretty. The two bundles you see exiting are for the right and left side interior speakers. Helps to keep them organized. I decided to mount the crossovers on the box instead of in the doors because they have some adjustments on them, and I didn't want to go through the hassle of opening my door if I ever wanted to make an adjustment. I used Dean's Ultra plugs for all of the connectors. They are designed for RC car usage, but are very useful here. Each plug has a male and female end, with specific polarity, so you can't plug them in and reverse the polarity. Also, they are very sturdy and require a good bit of effort to unplug them, so I don't worry about them coming undone on accident. Lastly, they are very low loss and have a huge contact surface between the male and female plugs. Very nice indeed. Only bad thing about them is that they require soldering, which some people don't like doing. I dn't mind it at all personally. For those of you with sharp eyes, you'll see the only thing I'm missing is the ground distro block. It's in the mail!

miker is offline CarAudio.com Veteran

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Your install looks nice I like it.

Why didn't you go with two sets of RSD's??

BrianChia is offline CarAudio.com Elite

Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

It looks excellent so far. Very clean work.

Stoke is offline Banned

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Hey man, looks great. Some nice work there! Definitely want to see some pics once it's finished

JLa Obsessed is offline Just Florida Chillin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

A.) I hate you for owning a new accord coupe, they are *** /thread
    B.)Weak choice on the Type E, but I understand you want SQ
    C.)Very nice work, looks very professional

Setup: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Head Unit: Alpine IVE-W530
    Sub Amp: Gone but looking...
    Substage: 12W6V2
    Front: Stock
    Back: Stock
    Comp Amp: JLa 300/4
    All wired with 1/0awg Kicker
    Refs: haunther, mhuynh, wj94, quakerroatmeal, ozz, James Bang, LBC99, theblizzard2025, Amokie, j225, tsenfw, oxsign

Pootie is offline equinsu ocha

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Very clean! nice work

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Thanks for the comments guys.

I know my sub is weak sauce cheapo I'm embarrassed of it and my amps, but gotta save the $$ where I can. It'd be easily swappable if I decide to get something else.

Didn't go with two sets of RSD's cuz that'd be forum boner x2, and thats too much boner in my car. Haha. Really, I went with the polyglasses up front cuz I like a bit of a brighter stage, and I love Focals. I had a set of Access before, and I loved them. So I got a bit of brand loyalty going on.

JLa Obsessed is offline Just Florida Chillin'

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can I see a picture of the actual car?? I reallyyyy want a new accord coupe, you don't even know, my 01 is falling apart

Setup: 2002 Subaru Impreza WRX
    Head Unit: Alpine IVE-W530
    Sub Amp: Gone but looking...
    Substage: 12W6V2
    Front: Stock
    Back: Stock
    Comp Amp: JLa 300/4
    All wired with 1/0awg Kicker
    Refs: haunther, mhuynh, wj94, quakerroatmeal, ozz, James Bang, LBC99, theblizzard2025, Amokie, j225, tsenfw, oxsign

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by JLa Obsessed View Post
    Can I see a picture of the actual car?? I reallyyyy want a new accord coupe, you don't even know, my 01 is falling apart
    I'll get you some tomorrow. Won't get home tonight till its dark.

Hintzyboy is offline Sparks mean its working!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

good work, but should have bought better equipment. It really isn't expensive if you know where to look.

Refs:
    CarAudio.com: SlickRick, CubanAffection, trevor87, BigBirney420, Apollyon, Dinty01, TeamPSI, QtrHorse (x2), 6spdcoupe, Siddle, Smokingachicken, MisterGrubbs, Fast1One, MiniVanMan(x2), Jntar, blackbonnie, tigerf117, kasimo420, blaze383, XaznKewLguyX, SRim23, RidnClean, Team H&K, djvi0lent, jeeper07, turboaudi
    DIYMA: snaimpally
    CA.com Feedback: http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=327860
    Ebay Feedback http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewFeedback&userid=hintzyboy79

na_rsx is offline Incriminator Audio FTW

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

awesome ****, love the stealth setup, but if you read

Complete Car Audio Build Logs <- key word completed

this belongs in the general discussion

2005 Acura RSX-S

Headunit: JVC KD-AR8500
    Front Stage: Vifa & Mpyre 65M *ACTIVE*
    System Amp: MB Quart DSC4125
    Wiring: Kicker Hyperflex
    Deadening: Edead SE2 and V3

Refs:
    Bought from: mlstrass, archie, brchd, BigOso, bk12321, Ricky 616, IonSQL, SilverSPL, VIPER118, fived, jdiddy, Tacosys, ls2poweredgoat, SethPhillips, DB_DRAG_SPL, bjfish11, XaznKewLguy, Integra2468, Incriminator, bur1196, Goindef154, amartin_72
    Sold to: vitveet, aesoj, DejaWiz, jco1385, Lax916, iowaaurora, Zeuslicious, chrispizzitola, gkatmar, Racerx250, boltpride, zeed, Low_e_Red, xreymax, hrtbrk1, RKPsk8er, Anniku989, bradknob, andrios

Threadstarter

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by na_rsx View Post
    awesome ****, love the stealth setup, but if you read

Complete Car Audio Build Logs <- key word completed

this belongs in the general discussion
    Ah my bad. Didn't interpret it right. This part threw me off.

"Post details, pictures and get feedback of your car audio installation, from start to finish."

Mods... Feel free to delete or move this thread.

Thanks.

silverkord is offline Junior Member

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

I'm watching this on the DA forums as well! I can't wait till it's complete. I am going to be installing a semi-large system in my coupe as well, as soon as I can get together with bamaboy. Looks good though!!

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast