PDA

View Full Version : attaching boxes together?

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 08:24 AM
I am going to attempt to build 2 seperated ported boxes for my 2 alpines. What I would like to do is somehow attached both boxes together so i can take both subs out seperately so its not so heavy. the thing is i can't think of a way to do it...

Maybe use some type of latch or something. Has anyone did anything similar to this before? please give me some ideas, any suggestions welcome.

jrz126
05-20-2005, 09:42 AM
I read in another thread about someone using hindges to secure the box to the trunk to keep it from sliding. They would just pull the pin inside the hindge (seperating the hindge into 2 pieces) when they wanted to remove it.

TPABlazer
05-20-2005, 09:51 AM
Metal rods and cotter pins? Make a "clamp" with some threaded rods attached to an mdf panel? Make the entire thing removable, so you canlosen it up, take the "clamp" off and then the other box.

ruckus
05-20-2005, 10:00 AM
What I would do which is a pretty cleaner looking is add an extra piece of mdf on the side of each box and shape them like a giant dovetail so one box slides into the other box. You can carpet the outer pieces of the dovetail and when put together it looks like one piece but to seperate just pull the 2nd box out. If i had my photoshop here at work i would illustrate.

TPABlazer
05-20-2005, 10:08 AM
What I would do which is a pretty cleaner looking is add an extra piece of mdf on the side of each box and shape them like a giant dovetail so one box slides into the other box. You can carpet the outer pieces of the dovetail and when put together it looks like one piece but to seperate just pull the 2nd box out. If i had my photoshop here at work i would illustrate.

Good Idea, not Mspainted to scale :emb:

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 10:59 AM
that just gave me an idea...what i could do is take a small block, maybe 8 x 8 x 3/4 mdf and cut out an R in the block. Then screw the block to the box (with the r out of it) and paint the R that was cut out red (black boxes) and slide the R into the block that the R was cut out and the boxes are locked together...how would i get the R out though????

ruckus
05-20-2005, 11:11 AM
LOL too elaberate a design and not well thought out. I'll stick with my way. easy to put in and remove and clean looking

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 11:13 AM
like this...

TPABlazer
05-20-2005, 12:22 PM
Wait? whats holding the boxes together? the R? the block? the r block? I'm lost

ruckus
05-20-2005, 12:27 PM
I get it the Red R is suppose to be a solid piece and the cutout outline of the R is split half on each box. The Red R pops in like a lego and holds the 2 pieces together. 2 flaws though.
1) 3/4" is not enough to hold that R in, the vibration of the bass will pop it out.
2) you would need some type of lip or handle to remove it if it was flush with the outer boards.

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 12:40 PM
velcro on the back of the R will hold it in place...wont let it rattle out. I will have to think about a way to remove it...maybe a small eye screw or something similar that is very small and not very noticable?

THUNDERBIRD
05-20-2005, 12:43 PM
make a3/4" mdf panel that will cover the front so u dont see the seam and also use it to flush mount the subs and screw it in

pwnt by pat
05-20-2005, 12:48 PM
You should just do this: make the two boxes but use two common, opposite face sides, so the front and back. You can have a common center chamber too if you wanted to save on wood. That way you have two identical, independant chambers that look like one combined chamber from the front and has added stability 'cause more than one face are common.

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 01:06 PM
sounds like a good idea but i have spent hours designing the box i have. It took so long to design it i started to give up on it. But i played with my dimensions and got a desent looking design. the port is unlike any other i have seen...not sure if it will sound right but i will give it a shot.

pwnt by pat
05-20-2005, 01:20 PM
not common center chamber, but board. my bad

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 01:27 PM
so do yall think this idea will work...(the R)?

pwnt by pat
05-20-2005, 01:29 PM
would be fragile and might break when you move it.

ruckus
05-20-2005, 01:32 PM
Honestly I dont see it as anything more than an ornamental piece I dont see it really doing what it was intended to do.

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 01:33 PM
could i put some type of resin or fiberglass on it to strengthen it before i paint it? some thing fairly simple to apply to it?

CntInjaDisNinja
05-20-2005, 04:29 PM
cover one box with fiberglass resin and the lay the other on top and wait till they dry, unbreakble bond, but do you want them to separate??? resin stick to MDF like crazy, wood would break before resin bond does

mustangowner
05-20-2005, 04:45 PM
i want them to seperate, but i want them attached together once they are in the car. when i want to remove them, i want them to seperate so the are easy to handle. read the first part of the post!!! ;)

Black_Jesus
05-20-2005, 05:33 PM
just do the dovetail.. thats the best idea.. or a T shape if you cant cut angles worth a ****

ruckus
05-20-2005, 06:49 PM
I was thinking why not do the dovetail and mount the R on the end of the Dovetail? Give you both stable bracing, easy removal, and the look you want. Just an idea.

req
05-20-2005, 07:33 PM
um

why dont you just buy some latches at the hardware store..

http://www.abaloidplastics.co.uk/photos/flipper1.jpg

i mean cmon. itl be like $5~10

ruckus
05-20-2005, 08:17 PM
um

why dont you just buy some latches at the hardware store..

http://www.abaloidplastics.co.uk/photos/flipper1.jpg

i mean cmon. itl be like $5~10 heh that'll work but it looks ghetto as **** :laugh:

mustangowner
05-21-2005, 08:55 AM
Hey req what stores can u get those at...thats what i was lookin to do something like that. I think it'll look ok cause my box will be black.