PDA

View Full Version : fiberglass sub box dilemna..help me...*PICS*

lotas
05-19-2005, 09:52 PM
Well i dont have to go into great detail but basically my depth isnt clearing 100%. The sub is flush on the top but not on the bottom. Its a little more than a 1/4" off. The only I option I have (i think) is to build this bottom half of the sub ring up to the sub and mount it.

What could I do? I tried just fiberglassing the **** out of the bottom half but it didnt make much of a difference. Is there anything I can do other than building half of a MDF ring that decreases in width as it gets towards the sides?

Can I just glob a whole bunch of liquid nails on it, compact it down, glob again, comact down so its a solid layer? Any other ideas?

thanks guys.

here are some pics.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/lotas/100_0693.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v104/lotas/100_0690.jpg

By the way: Not looking for any criticism on my fiberglassing, however "constructive" it may be :D just looking for some help on the topic. Thanks again.

jrz126
05-19-2005, 10:01 PM
I highly advise against the globing of the liquid nails. I'd say trying to use some MDF or more 'glass

Buckshot
05-19-2005, 10:06 PM
I agree. Why can't you just cut the hole a bit bigger?

bcarpenterfhl
05-19-2005, 10:09 PM
cut a new ring with 1/4 inch wood, then pull fabric over an glass over that again. cake!

lotas
05-19-2005, 10:16 PM
well the reason I didnt want to keep glassing was because Im almost out of resin and I really dont want to go spend another $15, ive already bought two gallons and a 32oz can...thats why I was wondering if there was any alternative.

buckshot, its not a matter of the size of the ring, its that the back end of the sub is hitting the back wall of the enclosure.

How far would I have to stretch that fabric? Would I have to do it just like I did it with the ring+dowels? That would be a lot of glasing.

I really dont care if the sub sticks out a lot from the enclosure, so I might just make a 1/4" ring and attach it to the glass now, glass over it with a couple layers and then mount.

Buckshot
05-19-2005, 10:18 PM
Ohhhhhh sorry, I didnt understand that the depth wasn't great enough.

THUNDERBIRD
05-19-2005, 10:24 PM
use some kittyhair to build it up

bcarpenterfhl
05-19-2005, 10:25 PM
use some kittyhair to build it up

i'd make the 1/4 inch ring first, and then build the kitty hair up against that so you can mount the sub on a flat surface.

TPABlazer
05-19-2005, 11:15 PM
if the magnet is hitting the back, I'd be worrying about the pole vent.

Make some decorative trim ring, 1/4 inch colorerd plexi?

req
05-19-2005, 11:29 PM
yea, 1\4" more isnt gonna cut it.

if your sub has a pole vent, it should be at least 1" from the backwall of the box.

you should start getting imaginative.

next time, mount the sub before you glass :uhoh:

Insomniac119
05-19-2005, 11:34 PM
i'd make the 1/4 inch ring first, and then build the kitty hair up against that so you can mount the sub on a flat surface.

:iagree: except i'd give myself a little more room to work with, and like TPABlazer said, you'll need room for the vent, so go with at least 1/2". It might not look as good, but it's better than your other options.

lotas
05-20-2005, 12:17 AM
the pole vent does have room, you guys arent picturing this right. Its an XXX, so its an edge of the magnet thats hitting pretty high up on the back...the pole vent is smack dab in the middle, as you guys know, so it has at least 1/2" before the back, possibly more and a couple inches before the bottom, so I'd say thats better than you are picturing.

I dont think i can use a full ring because it wouldnt make any difference than it is now. Only half of the ring is off, the top half is fine.

Is there anything I can glass over or glass in to give it height? For instance could I cut little thin pieces of MDF and glass them on the existing ring?

thanks for the help guys, Im appreciating it.

TrlcKed_OuT
05-20-2005, 01:19 AM
well how bad does it hit..maybe sand down the inside of the box a bit.....if not just gunna have to make another ring and glass it on...dont see much options...always test fit things in the future!

SSS 18734
05-20-2005, 01:46 AM
;) Invert it

lotas
05-20-2005, 01:55 AM
well how bad does it hit..maybe sand down the inside of the box a bit.....if not just gunna have to make another ring and glass it on...dont see much options...always test fit things in the future!
yeah I shouldve test fitted. I was just really upset because I had to throw out two perfectly good MDF boxes before having to resort to glass.

Plus I did everything myself...Im not sure how I wouldve tested the sub, i mean as you know its 55lbs, dont think my wooden dowel + hot glue would hold it ;) Still, shouldve found a way to do it...but gotta learn from mistakes!

I dunno, I measured, but I guess not good enough.

It is the side of the magnet that is hitting to back wall, not the end, if that clears it up.

What would make this a bad idea?:
Spreading on some body filler/putty type substance on the bottom half ring, then sanding if needed and glassing over that? Thanks guys.

vosschs
05-20-2005, 01:59 AM
cut the box in half then glass it together a couple inches appart

TPABlazer
05-20-2005, 02:30 AM
the pole vent does have room, you guys arent picturing this right. Its an XXX, so its an edge of the magnet thats hitting pretty high up on the back...the pole vent is smack dab in the middle, as you guys know, so it has at least 1/2" before the back, possibly more and a couple inches before the bottom, so I'd say thats better than you are picturing

Well I am just going off the pictures, so all I can tell is that the basket is grey and youre hitting somewhere, cant even see the rest of the box.

At this point its going to be a serious headache to fix, or not be as cosmetically appealing.

lotas
05-20-2005, 03:07 AM
Well I am just going off the pictures, so all I can tell is that the basket is grey and youre hitting somewhere, cant even see the rest of the box.
yeah i completely understand you cant tell whats going on with the box

At this point its going to be a serious headache to fix, or not be as cosmetically appealing.

we will see how my little plan worked out tomorrow, I guess a big part of fabrication and customizing is problem-solving, so thats the fun process im in right now.

req
05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
take a pic of the inside, because we dont know whats going on...

prolly just need to cut that piece out and do somthing different...

TrlcKed_OuT
05-20-2005, 09:28 AM
bro its not a huge problem....these guys are just talkin ****....if all u gotta do is raise the sub 1/8 of an inch or so then your still in good shape can still look pimp....just take your time when fixing it and you still got a kick *** box and a sub that actually fits ;)

TPABlazer
05-20-2005, 10:48 AM
bro its not a huge problem....these guys are just talkin ****....if all u gotta do is raise the sub 1/8 of an inch or so then your still in good shape can still look pimp....just take your time when fixing it and you still got a kick *** box and a sub that actually fits ;)

Who is talking ****? We've all told him ways to do it and have it look good, not jeopardize the integrity of the box, and both.

jrz126
05-20-2005, 10:50 AM
If the back of the sub is hitting then wouldnt you want alittle more clearance than 1/4" incase of alittle flexing in the box?
I'd try to use some MDF to give a nice smooth mounting surface for the sub.

TrlcKed_OuT
05-20-2005, 08:01 PM
Who is talking ****? We've all told him ways to do it and have it look good, not jeopardize the integrity of the box, and both.

ok i didnt mean talkin **** just couldnt think of other ways of sayin that some are making it out to be this huge problem that it isnt...