PDA

View Full Version : 6x9 Wall for techno?

phildapimp89
05-19-2005, 08:15 PM
Would this be a better idea than subs for punchy bass thats in techno songs. It seems like subs lag behind when playing techno (even my Atlas 15") Just kinda a thought not like I am planning on doing this :P

BlackHaze-
05-19-2005, 08:17 PM
Get some 8" to stay up with the beat, get some Soundsplinter 8"s and youll be good, then get really good speakers and a nice amp

JimJ
05-19-2005, 08:24 PM
Get some 8" to stay up with the beat,

*sigh*

And you're implying larger speakers can't "keep up" with the beat of techno? Sadly mistaken if you are...

To the original poster - I'd bet money that it's your enclosure alignment, not the sub's diameter that is causing them to "lag" behind. Try a higher Qts alignment, and I'm sure that would solve the problem.

Or, sell your "defective" subs to me at a very reasonable price :naughty: :naughty:

Beat_Dominator
05-19-2005, 08:29 PM
To defend phildapimp89, the "bigger is slower" thing was true at one point, though that was a long, long time ago. New technology has effectively eliminated that problem.

If you are 100% sure it sounds "laggy" then I would side with Frosty on this one and say your enclosure is causing some problems.

Berry47
05-19-2005, 11:02 PM
I put my sub in a lower enclosure volume and it made the bass much tighter.

bri487
05-19-2005, 11:05 PM
play with your setup. when i hear things like this i get depressed. bad setups make me want to shave my legs.

Raven
05-19-2005, 11:11 PM
When he says his 15 can't keep up, do you think he means he's crossed over under 80 hz or so and just doesn't have midbass? I don't see anything regarding front staging in his sig, so I can only assume the front is stock. In that case, a pair of midbass drivers, 8"s are my recommendation, properly bandpassed to fill the midbass gap would do wonders.

squeak9798
05-20-2005, 10:08 AM
I put my sub in a lower enclosure volume and it made the bass much tighter.

It gave you bump in the upper bass/lower midbass region, giving you the perception that the bass was tighter :) But, boxes like that will also have less low frequency extension and worst transient response/group delay.

But, what are you running for a frontstage phildapimp89?

audiolife
05-20-2005, 10:38 AM
To defend phildapimp89, the "bigger is slower" thing was true at one point, though that was a long, long time ago. New technology has effectively eliminated that problem.

If you are 100% sure it sounds "laggy" then I would side with Frosty on this one and say your enclosure is causing some problems.
lol my idw 15's were mistaken for 8's until something low went through them. people didnt know and the majority still dont know how to run a big woofer if they think this way still. if i had space id run a 15" no problemo even off 320 watts