PDA

View Full Version : laying down the fiberglass?

sirloin
05-19-2005, 03:15 PM
hey guys i pretty much read as much as i could in this forum so far..but when i lay down the fiberglass chopweave...it's after i paint on the resin right? so basically i paint on the resin lay on the fiberglass paint over again? and so forth? is that right? just want to make sure i got the right procedure

ruckus
05-19-2005, 03:23 PM
except one thing. Dont paint on the resin you dab the paint brush up and down motion not a brushing effect or you get assloads of bubbles

UndercoverPunk
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
I prefer to cut out strips of mat and then dunk them in the resin and then get out the excess resin, but if you're not comfortable with it you can make something really weak due to excessive resin...

sirloin
05-19-2005, 03:35 PM
thx man..imma start the mold today after i get teh materials...think i can get most of it at home depot? including the fiberglass weave?

UndercoverPunk
05-19-2005, 03:38 PM
yeah, i almost always get mine at auto parts stores, but they have everything at lowes and such, atleast around here they do.

sirloin
05-19-2005, 03:41 PM
what autopart store do you go to? cause im trying to get all my parts today. and i was looking for a one stop shop you know? im pretty sure i can't find fiberglass weaves at autozone..that's why i was thinking home depot ors omething ruther

UndercoverPunk
05-19-2005, 03:42 PM
autozone and advanced both have mat, resin and extra hardener in my area

sirloin
05-19-2005, 04:39 PM
man i just called a couple places they dont have it..im going to loews cause that's the only place taht i found that has it! and it's in the pain dept!

TPABlazer
05-19-2005, 04:59 PM
As long as you brush (dab) on enough resin on the top, it'll soak thru. A lot of times I'll put one or two brush strokes on the base layer, on the surface I'm molding, just to hold the glass in place.

klassic
05-19-2005, 05:01 PM
I prefer to cut out strips of mat and then dunk them in the resin and then get out the excess resin, but if you're not comfortable with it you can make something really weak due to excessive resin...

A newbie not experienced with adjusting the hardener drops to the resin will probably waste a bunch of resin due to it thickening using your method.

My only advice is whatever you think you need, you'll need more. Its no fun running back and forth to the store once you've suited up in your glassing gear.

sirloin
05-19-2005, 05:03 PM
thx man..how much you think ill need? for a 14"x 14" x 14"?

TPABlazer
05-19-2005, 05:04 PM
A newbie not experienced with adjusting the hardener drops to the resin will probably waste a bunch of resin due to it thickening using your method.

My only advice is whatever you think you need, you'll need more. Its no fun running back and forth to the store once you've suited up in your glassing gear.

not to mention drips and whatnot for a noob. I messed up a bunch of my carpet etc doing it that way.

Buy more than you think you'll need, its not that expensive, and return unopened pacakges. Last thing you want is to run out of glass with a batch of resin mixed.

THUNDERBIRD
05-19-2005, 05:33 PM
i used the soaking method it was so much easier kuz the mat wanted to move around

sirloin
05-19-2005, 05:35 PM
yea i think that'll ****..well i think imma cover up all the carpet in my trunk...it's a new i car i got..dont want to mess it up just yet...but thx for the help guys...ill take noob pix for yall so you can see how it's going..hope it turns out good..any other suggestions?

TrlcKed_OuT
05-19-2005, 08:57 PM
why not take it out of ur car...just make sure u soak whatever cloth or fleece really well and let it harden then start pounding on the mat....which do you guys prefer the mat or the cloth or do u guys use both i personally like the cloth better....less of a mess more fiberglass per square inch....