PDA

View Full Version : Brahma HT

IamDeMan
05-19-2005, 12:09 PM
I plan on making a HT sub using a 15" Brahma D2. I will be wiring the VC's in series for a 4ohm load. I want this sub to be best suited for movies, period! For now it will be powered by a sony 250 watt plate amp, but I will replace it down the road with a 500 watt plate. I have never designed or built a home sub enclosure and wanted oppinions on the type of box and size and tuning of it. Any recomendation/suggestions are aprreciated.

JimJ
05-19-2005, 05:16 PM
Your Brahma will work very well off low power in the HT environment, just a few things to keep in mind.

A larger sealed or ported enclosure will allow you to increase efficiency - it will also increase low end response. I would go with a low tuned ported box, tuned around 22-25Hz, and build it on the larger side of the recommended (talk to Adire or a member on here that designs boxes about enclosure specs).

IamDeMan
05-19-2005, 11:26 PM
Your Brahma will work very well off low power in the HT environment, just a few things to keep in mind.

A larger sealed or ported enclosure will allow you to increase efficiency - it will also increase low end response. I would go with a low tuned ported box, tuned around 22-25Hz, and build it on the larger side of the recommended (talk to Adire or a member on here that designs boxes about enclosure specs).

So do you think I would even have a need for or see a benefit from using a 500 watt plate amp? If so then I would just stick with this 250 watt SONY plate.

I was thinking a large low tuned vented enclosure would be in order. Similiar to what some people do with Shivas and Sonotube(at least in terms of volume and tuning). When I played with WinISD it showed a 9CUft enclosure tuned at 19hz to be the optimum in its thinking. I have read enough here to see that the program can't be trusted entirely though. This is why I was looking for input from people with real world experience on this sub. I may see if someone wants to work out the plans for this beast.

Thanks for the reponse.

EDIT: I also meant to ask if this sub is well suited to be a downfiring sub?

PV Audio
05-20-2005, 11:37 PM
i would advise against downfiring the brahma, but i've never done it so it may surprise you. i would still upgrade to the 500 watt amp as you may want to continue onto greater things in the future.

JimJ
05-21-2005, 12:47 AM
Downfire it if you want...see no reason not to.

ToyTundra
05-24-2005, 02:39 PM
using this:
http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/TechPapers/DriverOrientation.pdf

A Brahma 15 MKII is acceptable for downfiring. Sag=.367mm; xmax=29mm

So sag is only 1.27% of Xmax which is good (should be less than 5%)

IamDeMan
05-25-2005, 11:32 AM
Thanks for the explanation. I knew there was some way of telling whether a driver was acceptable for downfiring or not, just didn't know exactly how to tell. This is great info.

vettelovr1124
05-26-2005, 12:58 AM
I suggest you go infinate baffle.:)

Really, though...low-tuned ported with liberal amounts of volume, and go for the 500W amp...just in case.

JimJ
05-26-2005, 01:34 AM
Sonotube ported enclosures are so cheap it's not funny...get a Sonotube, a piece of PVC pipe, and you're good to go. All you need to fabricate are some end caps and feet.

Diplexers
06-11-2005, 04:49 AM
I prefer Crown, or QSC. I built an auditorium system with Crown 500's.(I think) it been about 8 years ago. They were pushing the Dual 15" JBL Pro Audio woofers. The depth was so amazing. Tuned way low, however; there was a lot more room displacement. I am rambling, goodbye.

myvanpounds
06-11-2005, 05:25 AM
*cough*t-line*cough*

JimJ
06-11-2005, 06:06 AM
I am rambling, goodbye.

No, no...come back! Who said you could take your knowledge and leave? :(

*cough*t-line*cough*

Agreed.

canadiansteve
07-06-2005, 12:12 AM
I agree with the pro amp idea. Has worked for me, just make sure to have a crossover handy or in my case built right in.

Steve

jlaine
07-06-2005, 05:10 AM
I plan on making a HT sub using a 15" Brahma D2. I will be wiring the VC's in series for a 4ohm load. I want this sub to be best suited for movies, period! For now it will be powered by a sony 250 watt plate amp, but I will replace it down the road with a 500 watt plate. I have never designed or built a home sub enclosure and wanted oppinions on the type of box and size and tuning of it. Any recomendation/suggestions are aprreciated.

What kind of space? :)

Feeling insane? 300L tuned to 16Hz should feed that insanity.

250 watts will be plenty sufficient.

kotec123
10-31-2005, 01:50 AM
throw some kicker 2500.1 strapped at that brahma and watch the magic happen!