PDA

View Full Version : Pioneer 860mp question

zachzchw
05-18-2005, 11:12 AM
Im going to reground this today, to see if it gets rid of what Im thinking is a ground loop. So, I just take the factory ground out of the harness and extend it to the new ground point right?

IRACEMYCOPCAR
05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
you can but it wont help, the high end pioneer HU's are flawed and have noise problems. if i were you id sell it and get something else.

Loudrango112
05-20-2005, 12:13 PM
get the 9600

g30ffr3y
05-20-2005, 12:15 PM
my 860 doesnt have a noise problem...

IRACEMYCOPCAR... great post...

squeak9798
05-20-2005, 12:50 PM
you can but it wont help,

You don't know that :rolleyes:

IRACEMYCOPCAR
05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
my 860 doesnt have a noise problem.....

YET...................

Sorry, i dont know what you guys do for a living, however i work in the 12V industry every day and i see these things come back all the time with the same problem. 99% of the time the noise is from the radio. if you dont believe me find someone with a different brand of HU and swap them out and see if it goes away. im not the only one on here that knows about it, search and you will find others that know about the problem.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96440

g30ffr3y
05-20-2005, 04:16 PM
YET...................

Sorry, i dont know what you guys do for a living, however i work in the 12V industry every day and i see these things come back all the time with the same problem. 99% of the time the noise is from the radio. if you dont believe me find someone with a different brand of HU and swap them out and see if it goes away. im not the only one on here that knows about it, search and you will find others that know about the problem.

http://www.caraudio.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96440

well i will cross my fingers... this is my third pioneer unit since
ive been driving a car [11 years] and i have never had a complaint
about any of them...

i got my 860 on ebay so no warranty i guess... i would hate to get
an alpine...

zachzchw
05-20-2005, 04:19 PM
Im going to reground this today, to see if it gets rid of what Im thinking is a ground loop. So, I just take the factory ground out of the harness and extend it to the new ground point right?

How bout an answer to that?
Couple things, also- Im not going to sell it and get something else. I happen to like the deck, no reason to change it. I am aware that other people have had noise issues, but show me one product with no problems at all. Anyway, Im thinking its a ground loop, as I never had any noise until I installed the amps.
Ecko, Id love to get the 960. You buying?
I dont want/cant afford a new deck, so gotta deal with what I have.....

2wheeler
05-20-2005, 05:44 PM
Has anyone heard of this problem with the lower end Pioneers? I'm looking at a DEH7700MP.

squeak9798
05-20-2005, 05:53 PM

Many ways you can do it. But yes, you basically just extend the ground wire to a new grounding location. Straight back to the negative terminal on the battery works well.

zachzchw
05-20-2005, 11:01 PM
Many ways you can do it. But yes, you basically just extend the ground wire to a new grounding location. Straight back to the negative terminal on the battery works well.

Ok, one more thing on this...............
Ive always heard to keep grounds as short as possible, but at the same time Im getting suggestions to run the HU ground back to the spot the amps are grounded at. (The reason for this being that it would eliminate any chance of ground noise) . Which is the better option, and why?

2wheeler
05-21-2005, 12:30 AM
I could be wrong but I did both, grounded my HU with the stock ground wire, but extended the stock wire to reach the metal under the dash, the amp grounding point and from there to the - bat terminal. I might have overdone it, but my stuff has no noise at all

adam71
05-21-2005, 09:06 AM
Ive always heard to keep grounds as short as possible

:confused:
I've never paid any attention to this tactic but I can't say its wrong either.

but at the same time Im getting suggestions to run the HU ground back to the spot the amps are grounded at.

:D :D ;)
That is how I've been grounding my head units for almost 15 years now and I've never had engine noise. The last 5 cars I've had have had 1 (audio system) ground point and that's it. So that means my ground is what about 15 ft or longer then so I don't think the length of a ground wire plays that big of a part in it. :imo:

On a side note: I have never had any noise problems with any of my many Pioneer head units, all the way back to my KE-6161 and KEH-7272 casette decks. It sounds to me like Pioneer had a QA oversight and now that its in the light you can be assured that anything coming out since these won't have this problem. Just my .02.