PDA

View Full Version : Video: LS1 Trans Am vs. Supra TT

josh99ta
05-17-2005, 01:33 PM
Follow the link...

http://www.phfba.net/index.php?showtopic=64

Pretty good little video. Boosted Supras can flat out HAUL from a roll. Boosted LS1s are no joke either. Supra on 21 psi vs. the LS1 on 13 psi. I figure this will be a lively thread. ;) Only thing better would have been if it was a Skyline since I know alot of you guys think they are the end all be all of cars on the road today. :uhoh:

Expy2000
05-17-2005, 01:40 PM
Skylines ****, Supra's ****..

I rather have a vette or viper with 30g in mods..

... ya...

:)

WheresTheButta
05-17-2005, 01:41 PM
wow that's not something you see every day
a turbo v8 street car..... not too popular - most go the supercharged route for american iron
obviously quite an effective power adder ;)

josh99ta
05-17-2005, 03:48 PM
a turbo v8 street car..... not too popular - most go the supercharged route for american iron

I think they are becoming more common than you'd realize. At least those in the LS1 community that are serious about making power are all going turbo for a street/strip car.

guy022077
05-17-2005, 04:02 PM

... ya...

vettes ****, vipers ****..

id rather have a skyline or a supra with 30in mods

.....ya.....

josh99ta
05-17-2005, 04:36 PM
Exactly Jmac, the reason I posted this was because the Supra has a reputation as almost unbeatable from a roll with more boost poured on, and the Skyline comment was directed at many convos in the Lounge where the uneducated start spouting off about how the Skyline is the best car out there, period. Too much Gran Turismo isn't good for the brain kids.

NJack2AF
05-17-2005, 04:44 PM
That was friggin sweet ;)

Polecat
05-17-2005, 05:23 PM
I would never burn my hand on a hot stove, 5-6 times...why did he race him time and time again...the TA was gone before he hit the next gear....race over.......

InhumanAcura
05-17-2005, 06:26 PM
TVR Speed 12 > All

2kchevy06civic
05-17-2005, 06:35 PM
lol the supra needs to let it go. He got beat every time, badly.

I like both cars, I would love to have either of them. But some people just don't know when to let it go =/

Shyne151
05-17-2005, 06:59 PM
That TA is f'n nuts. I love it.

josh99ta
05-18-2005, 09:31 AM
TVR Speed 12 > All

Negative sir. That was kind of the point of this whole thread. I'm not saying a Trans Am is > all. I was just showing that a car that has a reputation as being nearly unbeatable from a roll (Supra) can be beaten by a "lesser" car is some people's eyes. That applies ot a TVR Speed 12 also. Matter of fact, when is the last time you drove a Speed 12 or even saw one with your own eyes? The fact of the matter is a Civic with some work could have probably walked that T/A, or that T/A with more work could have walked anything out there offered from the factory. You just never know what you'll run in to. ;)

Acidburn
05-18-2005, 01:42 PM
any pics of this Speed 12 you speak of?

Acidburn
05-18-2005, 01:46 PM
i dont care how fast it is, that is one of the ugliest cars ive ever seen

WheresTheButta
05-18-2005, 01:59 PM
I'm sure once you get past the hideousness, the 7.7 liter naturally-aspirated V12 churning out 800+ hp combined with a 2200 lb chassis (less than a Civic) will somehow make the car enjoyable :p:

agreed

how about a nice 8,000 hp top fuel dragster or funny car?
0-330mph in 4.5 seconds anyone? ^^

Acidburn
05-18-2005, 02:03 PM
I'm sure once you get past the hideousness, the 7.7 liter naturally-aspirated V12 churning out 800+ hp combined with a 2200 lb chassis (less than a Civic) will somehow make the car enjoyable :p:
alright, alright, i gueessss i could stand that

JAZN
05-18-2005, 07:30 PM
holy crap that is one ugly *** car, but i guess u wouldnt be seeing it for that long with that kinda power.

Strecker25
05-18-2005, 07:38 PM
any details on the T/A turbo setup? is it a rear mount or under hood? im curious because if its under hood id like to see how they plumbed a single turbo.

thats 2 impressive cars right there.

marleyskater420
05-19-2005, 12:08 PM
any details on the T/A turbo setup? is it a rear mount or under hood? im curious because if its under hood id like to see how they plumbed a single turbo.

thats 2 impressive cars right there.

Most turbo LS1's nowadays are putting the turbos in the rear. Theres plenty of stock psi run TLS1's w/ over 500rwhp with just 6psi or so.

Although saying it is at a certain psi, doesnt mean anything really...20psi on one turbo isnt 20psi on another turbo.

No,not really. Theres more and more turbo cars coming out. Even for the old 5.0's, Ive seen many people switch from SC to turbo. Its much easier to get a DD turbo car than a DD SC car.

Up to 1500rwhp, turbos are usually the best thing to do, over that, there just isnt big enough turbos...usually that is.

josh99ta
05-19-2005, 11:21 PM
No in depth info on the T/A in the race, but it said TTi which is NOT the STS rear mount kit. TTi usually means its the Inconn twin turbo kit, two smaller turbos that are in the engine bay mounted down way low, but relatively effective. That company tanked long ago though. There are a few other manufacturers who do single and twin in-engine-bay setups but they are rare and they cost you. The STS kit is the most practical as far as performance vs cost goes, and it works really well. I've even played around with the idea of doing it myself, but I think if I go FI I'll just get an ATI blower instead. Turbo is cool, but I'm an auto so I dont get much BOV fun, and the whine of a blower is something I've always liked.

negativezeroz
05-19-2005, 11:25 PM

... ya...

R34 GTR Z-Tune 10.06 1/4mi...lil 4 banger..

i dont care how fast it is, that is one of the ugliest cars ive ever seen
http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/files/clipart/jpegs/cars/TVR_Speed_12.jpg

http://www.quantumsoft.co.uk/files/clipart/jpegs/cars/TVR_Speed_12_2.jpg

NegativeEffect1
05-20-2005, 12:28 AM
how bout them Lingenfelter Corvettes with their 725HP twin turbod 427 i want to do 0-60 in 2.9 seconds with a automatic :yumyum:

marleyskater420
05-20-2005, 01:23 AM
negativefag- the Z tune has never run a FULL 1/4 mile...And its a 6cyl.

No in depth info on the T/A in the race, but it said TTi which is NOT the STS rear mount kit. TTi usually means its the Inconn twin turbo kit, two smaller turbos that are in the engine bay mounted down way low, but relatively effective. That company tanked long ago though. There are a few other manufacturers who do single and twin in-engine-bay setups but they are rare and they cost you. The STS kit is the most practical as far as performance vs cost goes, and it works really well. I've even played around with the idea of doing it myself, but I think if I go FI I'll just get an ATI blower instead. Turbo is cool, but I'm an auto so I dont get much BOV fun, and the whine of a blower is something I've always liked.

BOV's are cool, but turbo shutter/compressor surge, sounds cooler to me, and Ive heard both :).

Go turbo, so many more options later down the road..

Oh, I raced a 370whp supra tonight. Short little burst..Hung w/ him...hehehehe

jc25t
05-20-2005, 04:42 AM
Mmmm Z tune..

Apparently they list it as only 500hp but its apparently a fair bit more than that...like 650hp. Would that equate to a 10sec quarter? Would get pretty close i would have thought.

jc25t
05-20-2005, 04:44 AM
And that supra get owned alright.... needs to be tuned though, see all the black smoke under load, must be running rich as!!

Still woujldn't think it would be enough to keep up with that other thing!!

newb
05-20-2005, 05:16 AM
And that supra get owned alright.... needs to be tuned though, see all the black smoke under load, must be running rich as!!

Still woujldn't think it would be enough to keep up with that other thing!!

**** I cant watch the video!!!

Anyways, tuning does wonder to a FI car. You could be surprised.

btw, what mods are done to the supra? TA? what kind of gas was each using? tires? weather?

You dont see too many supra's get walked on the highway. My brother had this video clip of a supra, viper, and lamborghini going at it on the highway and guess what the outcome was? Yes people, Supra > Lamborghini> Viper.

I'd still take a single turbo'd supra over any car of the day.

newb
05-20-2005, 06:56 AM
That proves what exactly ? Nothing ? That's what I thought ...

Any car can be made fast ... ANY CAR ... ANY CAR

I wasnt trying to prove anything so back the f^*k off!

negativezeroz
05-20-2005, 11:05 AM
1) From everything I've read, the GT-R Z-Tune doesn't come out until 2007
2) It's an estimated $170,000 USD for a Skyline
3) The RB28DETT is a 2.8 liter inline-6, not a 4-cylinder
4) How do you think it does 10 seconds in the 1/4 mile, especially w/ only 500 hp and a 3400 lb curb weight ?

sorry for my 4 banger typo..i meant 6 but ok w/e go ahead and flame away... still a 2.8L..compare to the LS1 or a Viper and the 2.8L can whoop a SRT10 Viper and stock on stock w the LS1..the 2.8L would whoop the LS1

they have ran one at 10.06..search it..k? funny part...they are used RB's...NISMO bought them with about 18K miles on them but ok w/e

josh99ta
05-22-2005, 10:52 PM
Internet pissing matches are so fun. You can drop a big block in a Pinto and blow most any car off the road. You can take a Miata and put a little work into it and mop the floor with just about any other car on an autocross or road course. Aything can be made fast. Skyline isn't the best. Supra isn't the best. Trans Am isn't the best. They are only the best if they are the most suited for your particular application and wants. Displacement doesn't matter, forced induction doesn't matter, tuning doesn't matter. I dont play the bullshit game of excuses. That Supra in the video got walked. Would another Supra walk the T/A in the video? Probably? Would a built up Skyline? Probably. But a little crap car with alot of motor work could walk them all. The fact of the matter is what does YOUR car run?

Mine, I'd get walked by both of those guys HARD. Plain and simple. My car barely has anything done and they've got two very nice cars there. My car isn't on the same level. And I'm not about to start comparing a car that isn't even sold here or is made in such limited runs that the chances of seeing one is very slim.

OK, rant over, back to your internet bench racing.

ighettoboyi
05-23-2005, 12:00 AM
can we stop saying "blah blah blah @ blah psi?" How about you tell us what kind of snailshell and turbine it is first.

i vaguely remember someone talking about a BOV? i hate bov's, if i had a turbo car i'd make sure to just go bypass. kids at my school with their a4 1.8T's and wrx's get THE LOUDEST bov's ever and constantly let go of the accelerator showing off to everyone "hey look at me, i added a bov to my stock turbo yayyyy."

and what is this about a supra owns from a roll? i love these generalized statements in CA.com threads, they're so entertaining. 20B rx-7 > skyline or supra any day of the week :)

electronicsgeek
05-23-2005, 02:06 AM
I've seen tons of turbocharged american V8s online including a few Escalades ...

http://www.livernoismotorsports.com/video/escalade128.wmv
wow that was wierd...

ighettoboyi
05-23-2005, 04:40 AM
wow and this guy did it on 24's wtf

jc25t
05-23-2005, 10:11 AM
The fact of the matter is what does YOUR car run?
Very average indeed:

96 GTS25t Skyline - standard other than exhaust etc. I'd expect it to run early-mid 14's on NZ's VERY average tracks.

AznRevlAzn
05-23-2005, 10:48 AM
Any car can be made fast ... ANY CAR ... ANY CAR

heres proof. Volvo for life... ...literally. (http://l2concept.nrgservers.net/Volvo_240_v8_twin_turbo_Tullinge_010818_divx.avi)

marleyskater420
05-24-2005, 12:11 AM
can we stop saying "blah blah blah @ blah psi?" How about you tell us what kind of snailshell and turbine it is first.

i vaguely remember someone talking about a BOV? i hate bov's, if i had a turbo car i'd make sure to just go bypass. kids at my school with their a4 1.8T's and wrx's get THE LOUDEST bov's ever and constantly let go of the accelerator showing off to everyone "hey look at me, i added a bov to my stock turbo yayyyy."

and what is this about a supra owns from a roll? i love these generalized statements in CA.com threads, they're so entertaining. 20B rx-7 > skyline or supra any day of the week :)

The typical LS1 turbo is the GT67, the exact turbo the supra used... The disp means nothing because power is only dictated by air that can EFFECTIVELY be burnt, so dont use the disp crap as an excuse.

The supra had a GT67..

Internet pissing matches are so fun. You can drop a big block in a Pinto and blow most any car off the road. You can take a Miata and put a little work into it and mop the floor with just about any other car on an autocross or road course. Aything can be made fast. Skyline isn't the best. Supra isn't the best. Trans Am isn't the best. They are only the best if they are the most suited for your particular application and wants. Displacement doesn't matter, forced induction doesn't matter, tuning doesn't matter. I dont play the bullshit game of excuses. That Supra in the video got walked. Would another Supra walk the T/A in the video? Probably? Would a built up Skyline? Probably. But a little crap car with alot of motor work could walk them all. The fact of the matter is what does YOUR car run?

Mine, I'd get walked by both of those guys HARD. Plain and simple. My car barely has anything done and they've got two very nice cars there. My car isn't on the same level. And I'm not about to start comparing a car that isn't even sold here or is made in such limited runs that the chances of seeing one is very slim.

OK, rant over, back to your internet bench racing.

Run what ya brung. Money makes everything fast. Aint it true?

NisMo said it ran 10.06 seconds ... on slicks ... tuned to 630 bhp rather than the 500 bhp it will be sold at (it doesn't meet Japanese emissions @ 630 bhp)
Didnt know that.Whered you read that?

sorry for my 4 banger typo..i meant 6 but ok w/e go ahead and flame away... still a 2.8L..compare to the LS1 or a Viper and the 2.8L can whoop a SRT10 Viper and stock on stock w the LS1..the 2.8L would whoop the LS1

they have ran one at 10.06..search it..k? funny part...they are used RB's...NISMO bought them with about 18K miles on them but ok w/e

Actually,the LS1 can run 12.9 stock, I dont think skylines can stock..so please correct your stock vs. stock statement.

It would actually be viper>LS1>skyline for stock comparo..

18k miles is practically new, they went through special precautions on to make sure they were only the best engines, i.e. practically new.

You might wannt correct your 10.6 statement based on what jmac said.

Run what you brung, and dont *****. You dont bring as much? Dont complain.

Nikuk
05-24-2005, 12:14 AM
displacement doesnt matter??

Marley, when's the last time You took a good look at the compressor map of a T3 S60 on Your motor? Versus a Holsten 35?

Displacement is pretty much how You find the VE of a motor. VE kind of matters when You are figuring out wether or not You are facing surging - given Your compressor housing and trim.

You have a GN....

-Nick

BTW - out of curiousity, what computer are You running with those injectors (sig)?

marleyskater420
05-24-2005, 12:24 AM
displacement doesnt matter??

Marley, when's the last time You took a good look at the compressor map of a T3 S60 on Your motor? Versus a Holsten 35?

Displacement is pretty much how You find the VE of a motor. VE kind of matters when You are figuring out wether or not You are facing surging - given Your compressor housing and trim.

You have a GN....

-Nick

BTW - out of curiousity, what computer are You running with those injectors (sig)?

Disp matters, but when you are going FI,you can shove infinite boost into your engine, and make not as much power as 10psi of boost, because power is dictated soley by the air that can effectively be burnt.

Like how I can shove all the food in the world in my mouth, but Ill only be able to eat a certain part. Just because the food(air) is there, doesnt mean I can eat it(burn it)

For the compressor maps, Ive read many, I dont bother myself studying small turbos. 60trim is too small for my needs.

Holsten 35? Doesnt matter to me who's it is. Ill stick w/ Garett or Precision. John Craig is a genious.(unlike me :crap: )

How does disp determine VE? You can have an 100% VE 6.l or a 80% efficient 2.0l
When you FI something, you almost immedialtely attain over 100% VE if VE would be 14.7psi. 100% VE would mean you **** in 100% of the cylinder @14.7psi, and if you are running lets say 13psi, thats almost another entire atmosphere,on top of the pressure of 14.7 as is, thus greatly over the atmospheric pressure of 14.7

Compresor surge is simply the air in the IC piping coming back at the turbo...has NOTHING to do with wheel trim or housing...I would know..Ive had 2 turbos on my car w/ 2 diff housing and wheels,did the same thing. Any car w/out a BOV will get compressor surge,regardless of turbo.

Im running the stock ECU. Running 26psi

marleyskater420
05-24-2005, 12:33 AM
Air doesn't burn, fuel combusts ... Fuel needs air in order to combust ... More air in, means more fuel in, which leads to a stronger combustion ...

Im saying that you can shove in as much air/fuel as you want, but the power will only result from the air/fuel that can effectively be burnt.

I trust you will agree.