PDA

View Full Version : RE Audio 6.5" blown

c0la
05-16-2005, 05:00 PM
Well heard the littlest bit of static coming from my driverside 6.5" today.. Got out of my car and the **** thing is blown. Took the grill off and the surround came off the basket also.. I was very gentle with these when I mounted them. The passenger side is fine though.. I got them off someone on here, but I heard the warranty doesn't transfer.

I'm running them with 75 wrms a piece with the gains at about 1/4 to 3/8.

I can't really tell it's blown until it's turned down real low and it clears up a bit when turned up. So it doesn't bother me to much right now. Just kinda ***** that it blew!?

audiolife
05-16-2005, 06:06 PM
ouch

Nikuk
05-16-2005, 06:35 PM
OMG NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo.

edit - [/sarcasm]

LightningStryk7
05-16-2005, 07:02 PM
ugg and u did that wit 75watts? Im gonna power mine with 97 watts per speaker.. I hope they dont blow either :crap:

Moe Lester
05-16-2005, 07:05 PM
its blown yet it still plays...

do you mean the surround just came off?

NJack2AF
05-16-2005, 07:16 PM
**** that sux.. :(

zachzchw
05-16-2005, 11:39 PM
its blown yet it still plays...

do you mean the surround just came off?

Did you measure the coils with a DMM?

c0la
05-17-2005, 01:37 AM
I can push in on the cone and it is very VERY scratchy, but there is still distorted music coming from it. Also yes the surround came unglued in two different spots about an 1 1/2" long. I'm sure it was just a defected one,hopefully..

No, I didn't measure the coil with a DMM. Don't have access to one.

zachzchw
05-17-2005, 01:44 AM
No, I didn't measure the coil with a DMM. Don't have access to one.

You really should have one for car audio purposes at least.
www.homier.com
They have one for $4 (not a typo, four dollars) and their main retail store is in indiana.

c0la
05-17-2005, 02:16 AM
You really should have one for car audio purposes at least.
www.homier.com
They have one for $4 (not a typo, four dollars) and their main retail store is in indiana.

They're out of stock right now

Decipha
05-18-2005, 02:18 AM
you shouldn't push in the speaker but if its blown it doesn't matter but you said that it clears up when you turn up the volume a little bit thats unlike a blown voice coil most speakers with a blown VC would protect the amp and cut off but if its still playing and it sounds ok but with that rattling noise than all you probably need to do is fix the cone DIY it's not expensive at all

c0la
05-18-2005, 09:11 AM
I'm not pushing on it with force and I wasn't moving it anymore than what it woud flex... The voice breaks up like no other at lower volumes, but yet at higher volumes it clears up a bit. Also it still produces some midbass at the higher volumes down in my kickpanel to where I can feel it just slightly with my foot.

Trancer
05-18-2005, 11:28 PM
I hope my RE Comps dont blow on me. I have already noticed they cant handle that much power. :crap:

LightningStryk7
05-19-2005, 01:43 AM
just be smart wit teh gains next time? Just turn ur volume up to waht u want then up the gain until u notice distortion, then turn it down, that way you can never blow them unless you jack wit the volume and move it above what u set it at when u set the gains.

cappy72
05-19-2005, 09:21 AM
I have had the RE comps and I was throwing about 80rms at them with no problem. When you first install them, MAKE SURE YOU SET THE CROSSOVER TO AT LEAST 80hz, I didnt do this and I had a problem with them over excurting. These are SOLID Comps if you treat them right.

On another note contact the seller and see if it is still within a yr, if it is try to work something out with him regarding getting the warranty coverage.

loserpunk
05-19-2005, 11:00 AM
i ran mine off 100watts IB down to 63hz and they never had a problem playing anything i through at them

tRiGgEr
05-19-2005, 11:07 AM
Hmmm, From your description they do not sounds blown. A blown voice coil would more than likely not play anything. There might be another problem other than blown voice coils. Why not send RE an email and see what kind of deal they can work out for you. At least they might be able to trouble shoot it a bit...

ngsm13
05-19-2005, 11:55 AM
you shouldn't push in the speaker but if its blown it doesn't matter but you said that it clears up when you turn up the volume a little bit thats unlike a blown voice coil most speakers with a blown VC would protect the amp and cut off but if its still playing and it sounds ok but with that rattling noise than all you probably need to do is fix the cone DIY it's not expensive at all

You're a dummy ;)

NG

c0la
05-19-2005, 01:06 PM
I already contacted RE about them and they were helpful on getting it replaced.. No arguements about RE from me..

Just saying that one of the 6 1/2" had a defect or user error, but yet the passenger side is working flawlessly!!!! I only turn my H/U to 23-24 depending on music. Never past that.

jellyfish420
05-19-2005, 08:59 PM
one of mine is doing the same thing, almost.... one of them breaks up pretty bad on the vocals. i've sent RE about 4 or 5 emails. still to answer :( i guess i'll have to call. i've been sending mine 70w in sealed kicks. crossed over at 150. when they worked they sounded d@mn good, but w/ this crackling, i don't even want to listen to it :(

whiplash
05-20-2005, 04:09 PM
One of mine is doing this as well. Anyone know if I can order a single mid from RE? I'm not the original owner of them, so I'm not sure if they will warranty them.

c0la
05-20-2005, 04:13 PM
Yes for $50 plus shipping direct from RE! I contacted them the moment I found the problem with mine.

jellyfish420
05-20-2005, 08:19 PM
Yes for $50 plus shipping direct from RE! I contacted them the moment I found the problem with mine.
i called RE today and they are gonna replace my mid AND my tweet. they're getting sent back next week :D