PDA

View Full Version : what kind of router bit was it?

guy022077
05-16-2005, 08:00 AM
i was watching pimp my ride and i saw one of the box builder guys go through 3/4 mdf in one pass with a bit that looked like a cylinder with spikes on it. Does anyone know what kind of bit that was and where i can get it. i want something faster for the circles i need to cut out.
Tia
Guy

dbornotdb
05-16-2005, 08:33 AM
What do you use now?

I use a 1/4" straight cut bit. Carbide tipped. Cuts like butter.

guy022077
05-16-2005, 08:42 AM
What do you use now?

I use a 1/4" straight cut bit. Carbide tipped. Cuts like butter.
thats what i use now. but i cant get through 3/4 in one pass, it still takes me 3 or 4 maybe my bit is junk. can you get through it in one pass?

GCAdidas13
05-16-2005, 09:25 AM
Yeah - I had an old bit that barely cut so I went and got a new Porter Cable bit and cuts were so much smoother. Go get yoself a new bit...

But if you're going to make continuous cuts to take out a whole piece of MDF, don't expect the bit to last forever. . . . . . .

dbornotdb
05-16-2005, 09:27 AM
I can do it in one pass if I wanted to, but that will dull the bit quicker.

I set the depth for my first cut just over half way of the material. Cut. Then flip the peice over, set it in and cut. Makes the bit last much much longer than one pass cuts.

Of course I am speaking of using a circle jig that has the center pin to locate it when you flip it. Just drop the router into the peice.

guy022077
05-16-2005, 09:30 AM
I can do it in one pass if I wanted to, but that will dull the bit quicker.

I set the depth for my first cut just over half way of the material. Cut. Then flip the peice over, set it in and cut. Makes the bit last much much longer than one pass cuts.

Of course I am speaking of using a circle jig that has the center pin to locate it when you flip it. Just drop the router into the peice.
the bit is new but ive been using it like my old one. maybe i should try a little deeper i may have solved my problem w/o knowing it. i just figured that the type of bit i had couldnt do it. I dont make mdf rings that often so i dont need it to last forever just untill im done...

THUNDERBIRD
05-16-2005, 09:34 AM
whats the hurry in doing it in one pass.

guy022077
05-16-2005, 09:45 AM
whats the hurry in doing it in one pass.
nothing realy, i just saw it and wondered what it was.I dont need to do it that fast. Ive never seen a bit like that before