PDA

View Full Version : non-amped coaxials

derek33
05-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Currently i have the stock speakers with a kenwood head unit.
my car is pretty loud to begin with (engine mods, exhaust, etc), and i have no air conditioning so i have the windows down quite often.
That leaves it hard to hear my speakers. The loudest my speakers can cleanly play is a volume of 20, (im not sure if the volume number is head unit specific), but id like to play them at 25-27.
would aftermarket coaxials be able to play clean at higher volume levels? or does that require an amp?

thanks

LightningStryk7
05-14-2005, 11:11 PM
Maybe if they have a good eficiency. Other wise ur hu just wont be able to supply enough power to get em loud. IMO u could invest in a 2 channel amp then later down the raod if u get comps u can just use that to power them.

derek33
05-15-2005, 12:17 AM
how would a 2 channel amp work with stock speakers? base model speakers, not even the infinity gold speakers (jeeps)

LightningStryk7
05-15-2005, 01:53 AM
It would probably improve there sound (maybe) but they probably cant handle much power, so u might distort them more or even blow them.

JoseMCeee
05-15-2005, 02:03 AM
from my personal experience I would say that you will see a bigger difference gettin both new speakers and a amp to power them. One thing I wouldnt suggest you do is get a amp first for your stock speakers because I doubt you will see much of a difference because they wont handle too much power. Well it all depends on what kind of stock speakers but I know with my ****** stock ones there was no BIG difference. I saw a really big difference when I changed the fronts for the comps. AND they are even good ones.