PDA

View Full Version : whats frequency response rating for

noob with an RS
05-14-2005, 03:58 PM
hey my infinity perfects have a rated frequency response of 75-23000 hz. i currently have the crossover on them set around 50hz cuz they seem to go that low without distorting. i have my sub xover set at the same thing almost. what exactly is the frequency response rating dependent on? why wasnt the perfects rated lower if they seem to go lower? were they designed to be crossed over at 75 and are suppose to sound best that way? im kinda feeling like i need to turn the sub xover up a little and with that of course, turn up the compnents xover some. what do u guys think?

SSS 18734
05-14-2005, 06:54 PM
Running speakers below about 80hz is never good for them, they arent made to perform like subwoofers. Use them for what theyre made to do. Cross it over to 75hz, and set ur subs high pass filter to 75hz and you'll be set.

I think they rate those speakers in the range that they will efficiently produce a sound. Unless theyre really good midbass speakers, they wont produce enough sound below 80hz to be significant.

JimJ
05-14-2005, 11:49 PM
We all know how truthful Infinity is with their speaker's ratings, anyway ;)

SPL140.2
05-15-2005, 12:06 AM
Running speakers below about 80hz is never good for them, they arent made to perform like subwoofers. Use them for what theyre made to do. Cross it over to 75hz, and set ur subs high pass filter to 75hz and you'll be set.

I think they rate those speakers in the range that they will efficiently produce a sound. Unless theyre really good midbass speakers, they wont produce enough sound below 80hz to be significant.

X2! good post! :D

noob with an RS
05-15-2005, 02:57 AM
more opinions please?

audiolife
05-15-2005, 05:25 AM
it basically tells you how a speaker should perform human hearing is 20-20khz....

Decipha
05-15-2005, 06:13 AM
i always crossover my speakers at what sounds best not what is recommended... that's just me tho

squeak9798
05-15-2005, 12:05 PM
Don't pay any attention to the "rated" frequency response......it is totally meaningless. If you feel they are performing well with an xover point of 50hz, then run them with a crossover point of 50hz. Crossover point and such is going to be totally install dependent, so it's up to your ears to determine the best xover point. And, if that's 50hz, then go with 50hz.

Tirefryr
05-15-2005, 04:48 PM

Um, no comment. Really. Be a little more detailed other than saying "speakers" cuz not all people will understand what are saying. ;)

Also, make note of what Squeak said.

noob with an RS
05-15-2005, 05:45 PM
ok. i totally understand whatu mean squeak. cause i like how they sound going low to 50 hz. but THEN i feel like the sub needs to be raised higher.. and going along with that would have to be the HPF on the components. so maybe i should just set the components at 75 or so and have the subs play up to 75?

audiolife
05-15-2005, 05:55 PM
basically it is meaningless as far as depth (how low a sub mid bass or some mids can go) because its enclosure / environment dependant. specs on response dont generally specify that detail. it is important though in tweeters (dont wanna cross them over too low) and in determining a speakers upper roll off frequency. example you wouldnt want to run a kicker rmb8 from 50hz to 4khz because it's pretty useless over 1k

squeak9798
05-16-2005, 09:41 AM
ok. i totally understand whatu mean squeak. cause i like how they sound going low to 50 hz. but THEN i feel like the sub needs to be raised higher.. and going along with that would have to be the HPF on the components. so maybe i should just set the components at 75 or so and have the subs play up to 75?

Why do you think the sub needs to play higher?

squeak9798
05-16-2005, 09:43 AM
it is important though in tweeters (dont wanna cross them over too low) and in determining a speakers upper roll off frequency. example you wouldnt want to run a kicker rmb8 from 50hz to 4khz because it's pretty useless over 1k

Likewise....I've seen some subs with a "rated" frequency response above 2khz. Does that mean you'd want to actually play them that high? No, tonality and such would absolutely ****. All it meant was that the sub will still respond to a signal at that frequency....not that you'd want to actually use them up that high. Same for mids.....Vifa PL's had a "rated" frequency response of up to around 4.4khz (IIRC), yet in reality you didn't really want to play them much above 2.2khz, or they started getting very muddy and unclear.

All in all, rated frequency response it totally meaningless IMHO. FR & waterfall graphs and such will give you a good idea, with the ideal being your own personal listening to "tell" you how high the speaker can reasonably extend.

Raven
05-16-2005, 02:55 PM
Answering the original question, IIRC, Infinity rates their frequency response until it hits -3 db. Meaning if it's -3 at 75 hrz, but can play down to 50, then it's still logically rated at 75, because that's where the "flat" response ends.

squeak9798
05-16-2005, 03:07 PM
Answering the original question, IIRC, Infinity rates their frequency response until it hits -3 db. Meaning if it's -3 at 75 hrz, but can play down to 50, then it's still logically rated at 75, because that's where the "flat" response ends.

Keep in mind that even the F3 point will completely change depending on the install/enviorment. The may have an F3 in an anechoic chamber...but not in-car. Which, again, is part of the reason that rated frequency response is pretty meaningless :)