PDA

View Full Version : help installing alpine in bmw

lotas
05-13-2005, 10:15 PM
this kid has a 1985 BMW 325E. He wanted me to install his new alpine deck in it, of course I said well I will look at it, he took it as yes, come meet my parents, and come install it. Well someone cut the harness behind, so every wire has to be ran by me.

The battery is in the trunk, Im just going to run a power wire straight to the alpine, i think the kid bought a bunch of 8ga for the power wire (i dont know why, im just giving you the info) Ill figure out where to ground it.

What I need help with is the +12v Iggnition Switch wire and a few more. Where in the heck does that come from? Am I going to be able to run this wire or is this way out of my league?

Then I need help with the illumination switch, where does this wire run from and how do I run that?

So lovingly, not only is this a BMW which is not exactly my Japanese Honda Snap-off quality, I have to run all this new wire, and this kid told his parents im doing it, so can anyone help me with these wires? Thanks.

B@SSAN8OR
05-14-2005, 01:53 AM
(power)
Constant 12 volts RED IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 12 volts GREEN IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
(use ign as acc wire)

(speaker wire)
Driver Passenger Size Location
WHITE (+) WHITE Front 5 1/4" FRONT KICK PANELS
BLACK (-) BLACK
WHITE (+) WHITE Rear 5 1/4" REAR DECK
BLACK (-) BLACK

have fun with the speaker connections. there is probably a factory amp in either the trunk or behind a seat somewhere. you might have to bypass that.
and if there is a volume fader in the center console you will have to bypass that also.

if you going to do it you should probably charge them like $75-100. if they dont want to pay that tell them to go to BB and they will charge about the same. bmws ****.

also dont worry about the illumination wire it is not needed for the deck to work. so dont worry about finding it.

also if you dont have one allready get a multi meter. preferably a digital one

lotas
05-14-2005, 02:56 AM
(power)
Constant 12 volts RED IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
Ignition 12 volts GREEN IGNITION SWITCH HARNESS
(use ign as acc wire)

(speaker wire)
Driver Passenger Size Location
WHITE (+) WHITE Front 5 1/4" FRONT KICK PANELS
BLACK (-) BLACK
WHITE (+) WHITE Rear 5 1/4" REAR DECK
BLACK (-) BLACK

have fun with the speaker connections. there is probably a factory amp in either the trunk or behind a seat somewhere. you might have to bypass that.
and if there is a volume fader in the center console you will have to bypass that also.

if you going to do it you should probably charge them like $75-100. if they dont want to pay that tell them to go to BB and they will charge about the same. bmws ****.

also dont worry about the illumination wire it is not needed for the deck to work. so dont worry about finding it.

also if you dont have one allready get a multi meter. preferably a digital one

hey thanks for the help. couple questions....first off, BB told them theyd do it for $280-300 dollars. One reason is there is NO wiring harness, so every wire has to be re-ran. Im running him all new speaker wire , and i even have to run him some power wire from his battery...so that wont be a problem, but I dont know how to run the ignition wire. Or the ACC wire...where does that come from?

B@SSAN8OR
05-14-2005, 07:28 PM
from the ign switch or the key switch. that is were you will find constant 12v and the ign wire which can be used as an acc wire.

and the reason they are charging so much for the speaker wire run is cause it will take about 3 hours to do it.

lotas
05-15-2005, 03:40 AM
from the ign switch or the key switch. that is were you will find constant 12v and the ign wire which can be used as an acc wire.

and the reason they are charging so much for the speaker wire run is cause it will take about 3 hours to do it.
thanks for the help, I had to use a multimeter to test for 12v from an ign. wire, and found one that worked....fused it and it was all good.

Everything went smooth and it all works, sounds pretty good. I got $40 out of it, took about 8hours of my time, but was probably working 6 or so. So yeah, little different than installing my pioneer in 30mins, but whatever, at least I know how to do it, right?

Thanks again for the help

B@SSAN8OR
05-15-2005, 04:52 AM
you got $40 out of it. soooooo not worth it. maybe like 100 or something but not 40

Decipha
05-15-2005, 05:58 AM
go back and ask for the rest of the money tell them they didn't pay you sufficent funds for your labor... it could work

lotas
05-15-2005, 02:10 PM
you got $40 out of it. soooooo not worth it. maybe like 100 or something but not 40
ha i know it was not, it came out to about $5 an hour, but he is a semi-friend, not just some random guy. But yeah, I did save them $280, but whatever, at least I got something out of it.