PDA

View Full Version : sub placement on box

Insomniac119
05-11-2005, 12:25 AM
Why are some subs placed off center on the box? I know you people are clueless without pics so here's what I'm talking about:

http://www.caraudio.com/vg/showimage.php?i=3116&original=1

What are the advantages/disadbantages to this?

LightningStryk7
05-11-2005, 12:33 AM
Nothing. Maybe they dont bother to measure correctly? or Like how it looks? But there sshould be almost no diference in how it sounds because it still sharing the same space. Just like there is no advantage to inverting the driver or not.

bcarpenterfhl
05-11-2005, 12:43 AM
i think that is often done in enclosures made for pick-ups (the enclosure in the link above looks as though it may be for a pick up also). putting in on the side lets you have the sub behind the passenger or driver.

SPL140.2
05-11-2005, 12:47 AM
i think that is often done in enclosures made for pick-ups (the enclosure in the link above looks as though it may be for a pick up also). putting in on the side lets you have the sub behind the passenger or driver.

X2!

Beat_Dominator
05-11-2005, 02:54 AM
I built my sealed box offset because I had the amp mounted next to the sub.

traksta15
05-11-2005, 11:58 PM
i have 2 subs so i shouldn't even be here..........

Insomniac119
05-12-2005, 12:41 AM
yeah, the pic I posted does look like it's for a small truck and that's prolly why. But I've seen other pics where it's just a normal sub box for a trunk with a the sub all the way to one side. The first that comes to mind is the diagram for enclosures on RE's website. I guess it could be for porting if you have a really long, folded port (can't remember the tech term).

joeldirt
05-12-2005, 02:55 AM
less bracing required. the sub when working can cause the box to flex a bit so if the sub is near the edge of the box where there is more resistance to flexing, it will take away the loss of integrity in box rigitity. you won't have to add bracing near the sub if the bracing is already there at the wall. does that answer your ? .......? there are alot of reasons in fact it includes port requirements as well, and also like carpenter said, the sound comes directly from the front of the cone, so if it were placed directly behind the driver or passenger, it would be felt by them as well. Usually bracing in a smaller box isnt too important or required. but for larger boxes it is.... that box in peticular is obviously set up for a truck. the box i have in my ford ranger is 2.25 tuned ot 32 hz the sub sits directly behind my seat and the ports come out between the two seats and go to a 90 degree elbow inside the box towards the passenger side of the pickup and the amp rack is built into the top center flush mounted. the requirements of the amp and ports forced me to put my sub on one lower corner or the order. so all together it doesnt matter where the sub is placed, however there are mounting locations to get a better set up for sound. ( you don't wnat an enclosure built into the corner of the trunk with the sub facing towards the corner. you want to get the sound form the cone. I think I babled on enough.)

I didnt realize that was a seperate window and posted this in that thread..... oops.