PDA

View Full Version : noob question

noob with an RS
05-10-2005, 07:33 AM
how are SPL setups different in general to SOUND QUALITY setups? like, what roles do the midbass and tweeters play in SPL-based cars? do they even have mids and tweets? do sound quality cars get loud?? cuz i have a setup that i am pleased with SQ-wise but isn't loud really.. so i wonder if any SQ cars have SCREAMING component systems that can actually keep up with painful in-your-ear bass? sorry im a noob.. never been to comps or such. but i like how my car sounds so far :p:

req
05-10-2005, 09:35 AM
how are SPL setups different in general to SOUND QUALITY setups? like, what roles do the midbass and tweeters play in SPL-based cars? do they even have mids and tweets? do sound quality cars get loud?? cuz i have a setup that i am pleased with SQ-wise but isn't loud really.. so i wonder if any SQ cars have SCREAMING component systems that can actually keep up with painful in-your-ear bass? sorry im a noob.. never been to comps or such. but i like how my car sounds so far :p:

more often than not, SPL cars will not have anything besides subwoofers and wont play music. they are made to burp a specific tone for only a few seconds at a time. if longer than a few seconds (usually) the coil will fry.

my car, will have 8" mids @ 150w a piece, image dynamics horns @ 35w a piece, and a sub @ ~1100w.

SPL = sound pressure level
SQL = sound quality loud?
SQ= sound quality

i shoud be somewhere between SQ and SQL. you just have to buy the right equipment and install it correctly and it should be able to get really loud.

but if you like how it sounds, then thats the most important thing there is.

GCAdidas13
05-10-2005, 09:38 AM
Having a SQL setup, in my opinion, is a SQ setup that has been tweaked to get as loud as possible.

req
05-10-2005, 09:52 AM
that too :)

SPL140.2
05-10-2005, 12:27 PM
SQ competitions are way differ from SPL. I used to SQ back n high school in 96. SQ competitions are very long, I attended 1 in vermont and started at 10am didnt get done till 7pm. :crap: The judges check your install, sound quality than spl all together which takes around 15min a car, it gets boring waiting n waiting. SPL competitions are fast. Your up in the lane for 30seconds and you have to wait again for your next turn which isnt long at all, it is also very exciting also;) I think you should go to a competition and check it out!!!

GCAdidas13
05-10-2005, 12:32 PM
Yeah I realize that SPL and SQ comps are like that.. but I think that's the extreme ends of the spectrum. REQ and I were just talking about what sets apart an SPL system from an SQ system and the SQL that lies therein.

and omg i just used therein in a sentance.

</life>