PDA

View Full Version : Bass notes?

98xplorer
05-09-2005, 11:51 AM
Will my speakers still play low notes when i install my subs into the car. Or will the subs just play that range. I am just wondering because i dont want my subs just taking over the whole system and not to be able to even hear the music. Im hopeing that the speakers will play louder and cleaner because now they dont have to reproduce low notes because the subs will. -thanks

squeak9798
05-09-2005, 12:01 PM
The speakers will produce all frequencies unless you use a highpass crossover. So, just because you add a sub, the speakers won't automatically stop playing bass. You'll need to highpass them.

98xplorer
05-09-2005, 12:07 PM
where can i get a highpass crossover? And where does it go?.....im still learning

squeak9798
05-09-2005, 12:09 PM
What are you running up front? Co-axials? Are you using the headunit to power them, or an external amplifier?

Johnny Drama
05-09-2005, 12:11 PM
where can i get a highpass crossover? And where does it go?.....im still learning

You can go to best buy and buy some bass blockers. They are around $10 a pair I think. Also www.partsexpress.com (http://www.partsexpress.com) has them. They connect to the positive speaker wire on your speakers.

98xplorer
05-09-2005, 11:15 PM
So far i just replaced all four speakers. Withen i month i will have the headunit and subs. Which bass blockers should i get? What are others opinions on these. I havent heard of these every really. my whole goal is not to have my subs overpowering the music too much where i cant hear it well

stangme01
05-10-2005, 02:20 AM
When i first started i used bass blockers and they worked great for a newb system. They are 6db/oct crossovers normally at 120hz. Just go to best buy and pick a pair up. They will keep your mids from playing "low notes" that way you can turn them up louder, and the subs will be the only thing playing low bass.